Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, crap. I have lost traffic lights, stop signs, the list goes on.
The big white elephant screen is empty most of the time.
I don’t bother looking at it now.
AND I loose 10km range over night.
Never had that before in 12 months of owning.
Elon, wake up.

I think Tesla cares a lot about phantom braking. However, there is a reason that phantom braking is a problem on all cars with automatic emergency braking. The degree to which it is an issue depends on how much you want AEB to work in real cases. You can minimize phantom braking a lot if you are willing to inject real cases where AEB won’t work properly. According to Consumer Reports, they see phantom braking decreasing across many brands but still being an issue. Saying Tesla doesn’t care implies the problem is easy to fix.
My wife has had the privilege in recent days of doing 1000km+ drive in regional NSW in Slartibartfast (Jealous? Moi? :D). She turned TACC off on day 2 due to too many phantom braking events which she found dangerous and very unsettling. Some examples:
  • Sunny day, single cloud casts a passing shadow over the road, car brakes heavily
  • Going around a gentle bend on a 2-lane road, truck coming the other way in its own lane, car brakes heavily
  • Car turning right into a side-road where a bulge in the road (no line markings) allows traffic to pass on the left, car brakes heavily
She had a lot more fun driving, and more relaxing driving, with TACC off.

What was brilliant though was being able to charge in rural towns with a mix of Chargefox, NRMA, Evie. Although she does like the plug-in and walk away simplicity of Superchargers. I don’t think the trip she did would have been feasible even only 18 months ago.

• Car turning right into a side-road where a bulge in the road (no line markings) allows traffic to pass on the left, car brakes heavily

The other ones are problematic (I've seen it do the 'jumping at shadows' thing too), but that last one sounds fair enough. If it's only marked as one lane, and the car ahead is stopped, it probably _should_ stop too unless you override it.

The other ones are problematic (I've seen it do the 'jumping at shadows' thing too), but that last one sounds fair enough. If it's only marked as one lane, and the car ahead is stopped, it probably _should_ stop too unless you override it.
I don't agree with that. This type of road arrangement is very common in rural areas. The bulge in the road is built deliberately to allow traffic to pass on the left (and at speed) any cars waiting to turn right. It is a legal manoeuvre. But because the bulge is typically quite short, lane markings are usually absent.

So in that instance, sudden braking would definitely confuse any cars following. They would assume that you, too, intend to turn right and are braking for that reason. So in response, they would keep left in order to overtake you. But you aren't going to turn right, so you also move to the left while tapping the accelerator to stop the phantom braking. If the following car is close behind, that is a dangerous crash just waiting to happen.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Reasonable question which I can't answer, Fazza. All I can say is that in the 3 months I've owned my M3, the cabin temp has never gotten that high.
I always thought cabin overheat was bit weird frequently seen temps in 50s sometimes it switches on others not. Then when I arrive home once and parked in carport you could hear it running whist cabin was in 20s ... I don't understand

The update had reset my headlights again!!!’

, and more relaxing driving, with TACC off.
Me and my family feel the same too. TACC is jerky and my right foot is much smoother with throttle control. I try it periodically to see if it has improved with successive updates, but no, still not good enough. I don’t understand how Tesla can sell FSD for 10k.I don’t think I want to use it even if it is free.