Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no doubt there's room for improvement in the braking department. As much as I'd like to let AP do everything in bumper to bumper traffic, I've moved to taking over completely for every braking to a complete stop myself since my passengers and I are sick of the really inconsistent jerky finish it currently has. I seem to recall it being better in past iterations, but as always these things seem to get better and worse with successive releases instead of consistently better.

cruise control is very harsh on the brakes when stopping behind other cars - to the point where it could cause an accident from behind. It will start slowing down as cars ahead have stopped at a red light, but with about 4-5 car lengths of space in front it will suddenly emergency brake.

This, phantom breaking on corners, uncertain lane changes, etc.
The M3 suffers from anxiety.
The software still has a way to go.

This, phantom breaking on corners, uncertain lane changes, etc.
The M3 suffers from anxiety.
The software still has a way to go.
That does seem like a learner driver behavior, so normal while the software is learning, They should consider putting the learner L plates on the car while it is learning, so the other road users know to expect this from the car. Here in Australia they usually advance from L plates to P plates and then full self drive ...

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile
If you think it's hesitant, uncertain, and jerky now, you model 3 drivers should have seen what autopilot was like for us during the first half of 2017 :rolleyes:

The braking is not just on autopilot but occurs even on TACC.
It's a little disappointing as TACC is a well established technology.

I wish Tesla would move features such as TACC and parking assist out of beta.
There might be a temptation not to fix them as long as they remain beta as we use them at our own risk.

I am happy to be a beta tester for new features and like everybody else eagerly await the next update.
However, at some point it would be good to have confidence in some of the more established driver assist features.

The braking is not just on autopilot but occurs even on TACC.
It's a little disappointing as TACC is a well established technology.

I wish Tesla would move features such as TACC and parking assist out of beta.
There might be a temptation not to fix them as long as they remain beta as we use them at our own risk.
In the case of TACC in our vehicles, it's actually exactly the same neural network, code, and algorithm as autopilot with autosteer, so it will be prone to exactly the same hesitancy and phantom braking. They are not two different systems. Simpler TACCs out there on other vehicles see a lot less so they're ironically less prone to these issues. Trying to see "everything" to be safe means it's always going to err on the side of seeing more false positives than the other way around. When Uber killed that pedestrian with their self-drive vehicle one of the most telling things to come out of the investigation was that there was higher management push to make the drive smoother because the ride was far too jerky and prone to phantom braking. Finding the perfect balance with current technology is going to need an infinite improbability drive. That said, the improvement I've seen in 2.5 years has been astonishing, but I still do the driving if I want a smooth ride.

See:
Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

Reactions: Chamii123
Are Australian M3’s getting 2020.4.1 yet? I had to ask for the last update to be pushed so just wondering if I have to do the same again?
The nag icon for 2020.4.1 has been sitting on my screen for a few days now. House WiFi doesn’t reach my garage, so it’s a special effort for me to do an update - namely I have to remember go to the garage solely for that purpose and hotspot my phone. And I usually don’t remember, because by the time I’ve returned from my drive, it’s long left my mind as a thing to do and I only notice it again when I’m about to go on my next drive.

Eventually I might be bothered to put a WiFi extension into my outbuilding.

In the case of TACC in our vehicles, it's actually exactly the same neural network, code, and algorithm as autopilot with autosteer, so it will be prone to exactly the same hesitancy and phantom braking.
I have noticed another issue with TACC and autosteering here on Gold Coast. If I just use TACC I can usually set the speed and let it go with that. occasionally it changes that limit to something else and I can use the scoll on steering to get it back to what the speed limit is actually and not what the TACC thinks it should be. Now this works with autosteering on sometimes, however there are other locations where it does not accept any changes over the limit of what the system thinks is the limit even though actual limit may be higher. In those situations it pops up on screen saying that autosteering is limited to that speed and does not allow changing it higher, forcing me to disable autosteer to drive the car at the speed limit and to not be the one holding back the traffic. I have noticed that those places where it does not allow changing it higher are always the same locations and at other locations when I am on autosteering, it does allow me to use the scroll on steering wheel to increase past the limit the car sets. Is this a bug or are there some map locations with hard limits on speeds that the car is forced to follow? I have tried saying bug report on those locations, but I doubt the technician looking at the car in that location understands what the problem is. Should I try reporting this through the phone app? Any other way to report this kind of issues? Anyone else with similar issues?
P.S. on M1 here between Robina and Elanora when driving south, the speed should be 80 for most of the way and 100 the rest of the way, the TACC changes the limit there about 5-6 times and at a point brings it down to 40 which forces pretty sudden breaking, that on a motorway is a bit worrying. I have learned to just hold the accelerator down in that area to stop TACC from breaking.

I have noticed another issue with TACC and autosteering here on Gold Coast. If I just use TACC I can usually set the speed and let it go with that. occasionally it changes that limit to something else and I can use the scoll on steering to get it back to what the speed limit is actually and not what the TACC thinks it should be. Now this works with autosteering on sometimes, however there are other locations where it does not accept any changes over the limit of what the system thinks is the limit even though actual limit may be higher. In those situations it pops up on screen saying that autosteering is limited to that speed and does not allow changing it higher, forcing me to disable autosteer to drive the car at the speed limit and to not be the one holding back the traffic. I have noticed that those places where it does not allow changing it higher are always the same locations and at other locations when I am on autosteering, it does allow me to use the scroll on steering wheel to increase past the limit the car sets. Is this a bug or are there some map locations with hard limits on speeds that the car is forced to follow? I have tried saying bug report on those locations, but I doubt the technician looking at the car in that location understands what the problem is. Should I try reporting this through the phone app? Any other way to report this kind of issues? Anyone else with similar issues?
That's intentional because Tesla have so far failed to implement speed sign reading the way the old Autopilot1 hardware used to do. Instead they've got an expanding database of speed limits and only enforce them in autosteer (and above.) It's also not very comprehensive in Australia at least so is not a very reliable way of keeping to the local speed limits. Any database always has the potential to be wrong (as it often is for me) and get out of date very quickly, so I'm hoping they get off their arses and actually do implement speed sign reading (properly) instead.

Mobileye took their patent with them when they left (AP1). If Tesla had a speed limit reading solution that didn't violate the patent I think it would already be out. I'd be happy with a crowd source option over the current database.
I would really like to see the option to manually override it at least in Australia where the data appears to be wrong at a high percentage of roads. The strange thing is that it does let you override it in some areas and does not in others, would be nice to let it be overridden always.

Mobileye took their patent with them when they left (AP1). If Tesla had a speed limit reading solution that didn't violate the patent I think it would already be out.
I've seen this explanation bantered around a lot, but I don't think anyone's truly validated whether this is true or not. Even if there is a patent, there's bound to be a way to do speed sign detection without infringing on it.

I had a strange effect happening on the Federal highway into Canberra a couple of weeks ago. I normally have the speed set to +2 on TACC but it changed it back to 0 3 times. ie I was doing 112 in a 110 zone and it just changed itself back to 110 at 3 different locations. I've not seen that before and its not my normal hunting grounds, so cant verify by repeating. Anyone else?.

I've seen this explanation bantered around a lot, but I don't think anyone's truly validated whether this is true or not. Even if there is a patent, there's bound to be a way to do speed sign detection without infringing on it.
Except the American patent system allows concepts to be patented: eg "A method to recognise speed limit signs by electronic means".

I had a strange effect happening on the Federal highway into Canberra a couple of weeks ago. I normally have the speed set to +2 on TACC but it changed it back to 0 3 times. ie I was doing 112 in a 110 zone and it just changed itself back to 110 at 3 different locations. I've not seen that before and its not my normal hunting grounds, so cant verify by repeating. Anyone else?.
I have seen that a couple of times since 2020.04.1 update. I did not see it before that update, so might be a new thing.

I would really like to see the option to manually override it at least in Australia where the data appears to be wrong at a high percentage of roads. The strange thing is that it does let you override it in some areas and does not in others, would be nice to let it be overridden always.
Even AP1 has its own problems; out west Queensland they use signs like 'END 80' which is read as 80 and, as it's a non-divided road, AP1 slows down to 80 (mutter).
It would be good to allow an override.