Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pair your phone as a wifi connection. Updates will then download no problem.
I discovered an interesting thing yesterday... since a special trip to the garage and leaving my paired phone there for 20 minutes or whatever for the update to download is annoying, I thought what I could do is start the download just before I’m about to drive and let it do its stuff. By the time I’m back home, it will be downloaded and ready to install! That would be a good “Plan B”!

No dice. After I paired my phone, the download started after about 1 minute wait, and then I drive off. The download soon stopped because I was driving.

I would have thought there is no problem for the software to download while driving, it’s just an install package that will sit there inert until you tell it to install once parked. But, no, it will not.

So I am back to having to remember to go to the garage with my phone just to do updates. Argh. And (according to Electrek) Tesla is apparently now threatening users that don’t install upgrades in a timely fashion with removal of features from their car. WTH?

I discovered an interesting thing yesterday... since a special trip to the garage and leaving my paired phone there for 20 minutes or whatever for the update to download is annoying, I thought what I could do is start the download just before I’m about to drive and let it do its stuff. By the time I’m back home, it will be downloaded and ready to install! That would be a good “Plan B”!

No dice. After I paired my phone, the download started after about 1 minute wait, and then I drive off. The download soon stopped because I was driving.

I would have thought there is no problem for the software to download while driving, it’s just an install package that will sit there inert until you tell it to install once parked. But, no, it will not.

So I am back to having to remember to go to the garage with my phone just to do updates. Argh. And (according to Electrek) Tesla is apparently now threatening users that don’t install upgrades in a timely fashion with removal of features from their car. WTH?
Probably because the car turns wifi off when you start driving, killing the hotspot connection.

If you start driving, wifi is instantly disabled. It does this for location services to work properly when wifi signal gets weak and disappears to avoid an interruption and relies entirely on mobile data. To keep using wifi after you've started driving, you need to manually tap on wifi and select your hotspot again.

Sounds to me like you need to invest in a ubiquity wifi antanae or two. Full strength wifi everywhere in my house.

Reactions: apchoo
Sounds to me like you need to invest in a ubiquity wifi antanae or two. Full strength wifi everywhere in my house.
I’m kinda resigned to that inevitability. Running the Ethernet cable from my modem to the garage will be a truly painful exercise... it’s over a 30 metre run, through wall and ceiling cavities and the rest. A radio based Wi-Fi extender as an alternative may not do the job, my garage is more or less underground.

I’m kinda resigned to that inevitability. Running the Ethernet cable from my modem to the garage will be a truly painful exercise... it’s over a 30 metre run, through wall and ceiling cavities and the rest. A radio based Wi-Fi extender as an alternative may not do the job, my garage is more or less underground.
Can highly recommend ethernet(+wifi AP) over power under those circumstances. I've set up a few for family and friends that have been lifesavers at getting high speed ethernet and then strong wifi at locations far away from their main router. The TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit is my go to for a setup from scratch. Just make sure to plug them directly into wall outlets instead of powerboards or extension leads for best performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis and baillies
The TP-Link AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit is my go to for a setup from scratch.
I should also add if someone is wedded to using more unifi access points, then I recommend the TP-Link TL-PA9020P-KIT AV2000 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit which is ethernet only, and then a unifi router can be attached to the far end. If you're in Australia, pccasegear has all this hardware for sale (I have no affiliation with them.)

Can highly recommend ethernet(+wifi AP) over power under those circumstances. I've set up a few for family and friends that have been lifesavers at getting high speed ethernet and then strong wifi at locations far away from their main router.
Great idea! But... my garage and associated outbuilding run off its own sub-board. As far as I know, Ethernet over powerline works only between GPOs connected to the same circuit. Happy to be corrected.

Ubiquity antanae have a range of a couple of hundred metres. Latest model is even further. Closest sensible place to your garage should easily make it

Version 2020.4.10 started appearing on Telsafi about ten days back. Bug fixes apparently. After an initial surge in installs with 166 on 19/2 it has slowed to a trickle with only 3 yesterday. Was waiting for it to turn up. However I suspect Tesla may have decided to bin it and move on to the next build.

Sub-boarding shouldn’t matter. Power doesn’t know how close two breakers are to each other. I would have thought same phase is critical though, if 3-phase.
All 3 phases go to the sub-board (the Tesla HWPC runs off it, for example) but all the GPOs in the garage and outbuilding run off only 1 of the phases. Which one, I don’t know.