Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the update yesterday and drove to Brisbane and back from the Gold Coast today.

One of the best improvements I noticed was that when you engage Autopilot that it gently moves to its preferred position in the lane. Previously it would jerk to where it wanted to be quite quickly. I had no issues with Autopilot for all of the trip on the M1. That includes some road works with no lane markings (some with the reflectors only).

I've never used DAB before, but I was underwhelmed. It dropped the station quite a few times, especially around the Hope Island Road exit area. I was listening to Double J. As someone else mentioned the radio interface needs an update, it's just not user friendly. Also, DAB stations didn't appear until I switched to my phone and then back to the Radio option.

There was a section on bluetooth improvements in the update. Whatever they did messed up my phone, a Pixel 3a, and the connection with the car. It was fine in the morning, but when I went to play a YouTube video to listen to on the way home the sound came out from my phone. I tried different options through the car and the phone, but I couldn't get the audio to play. On the device connection screen it would start to connect to the phone and the phone would show it was connected, but the car never completed the connection and it just kept spinning. Hopefully it will be fine after a good rest :).

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
DAB radio is nice. Just click on Radio and there is ABC stations

For an SR+ like mine, that's probably the best feature of 2020.8.1 :(. Was looking forward to additional visualisations, 3rd party charging locations and exFAT support ... maybe next time :D.

Went out for drive to test AP & NoA ... the only observable difference was it engaged the left hand signal about 2s earlier before taking the Narre Warren off-ramp. Don't think it did that before. I always reckoned the left hand signal could be engaged a bit earlier before the off-ramp. It's a thumbs up from me if it was indeed a change. Will do more testing.

At least I don't have to use TuneIn Radio for ABC Radio Melb.

I think it is not my imagination. 20.8.1 no longer divers so aggressively at the centreline and oncoming traffic at the end on overtaking lanes. This is when you are in the left or slow lane and in ends with a merge back to the main lane. Anyone else notice this?

I tested a USB flash drive formatted in exFAT and created a TeslaCam folder in it. The dashcam icon did not appear after I plugged it in :(.

But if you go into Music and choose the USB device you can browse the folders and see the TeslaCam folder. So it can read the exfat drive but doesn't want to use it for dashcam. Go figure.

Maybe it's mounted read-only.

Wiper algorithms still need vast improvement. Light misty shower of rain today. Auto wipers goes from slow to crazy fast for the light conditions. Their operation is just too inconsistent. I find I need to turn them off and then manually activate via washer button when I want a wiper swipe.
Surely it can't be that hard... but hey FSD is coming, the old wiper software & operation was better before the whole neural droplet thingy.

Wiper doesn't do crazy fast as you describe, but takes a little while to get going with fine mist. Probably needs tuned for Sydney rainfall. Does it learn from our manual interventions? 2020.8.1 on a Raven.
Despite my very high levels of skepticism over Tesla’s ‘neural net’ wipers given everything I’d read about them before I got my car, I have found them to be mostly OK. I agree they are sometimes a bit late to get going in fine misty rain, but nothing a stalk tap can’t fix. Very rarely have I had erratic bursts of activity, and if it happens, it doesn’t last long.

I have to agree that the current wiper algorithm is working better than the earlier ones. I did have one episode of inappropriately fast action. I just stopped and restarted the wipers. All good after that.

I've not had any of those embarrassingly crazy fast ones for a while now so I assume that's now been learned.
Next step for the AI is the light mist.
Then world domination...

Reactions: Hairyman