Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20.8.1.1 is hugely buggy in my experience. Glad to hear that a .2 is rolling out! I just wish they would properly test the software before rolling out. This is far from the first time this has happened in the4.5 years I have owned the car.
Cant you just turn off the advanced mode in the software update section to just get the "tested" releases.

20.8.1.1 is hugely buggy in my experience. Glad to hear that a .2 is rolling out! I just wish they would properly test the software before rolling out. This is far from the first time this has happened in the4.5 years I have owned the car.
Tesla software engineers dont test their work before release. I can only assume they all think they are perfect. How that release that destroyed voice recognition got past anyone is beyond me

same here
I logged a service call about being stuck on 2020.4.1. I was hoping to get access to DAB. They told me their had been an issue pushing the update to my car on the 11 March.

The car was actually getting it's paint job repaired after being delivered to me before Christmas with some paint job defects. The repair shop had asked me to disable Mobile access at the time.

They told me since then there had been issues with the update I did not get, just to hold tight till they release an update that is ok.

I wonder if people getting the updates post 2020.4.1 are getting them because they had upgraded to the buggy 2020.8.1 and are now getting further updates to correct issues it caused.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Cant you just turn off the advanced mode in the software update section to just get the "tested" releases.
That’s what I did last month. Happy to get each software update later, so that others can be the guinea pigs.

After Tesla ‘unstuck’ my stalled 2020.4.1 download a few weeks back, I have not received any further notifications of updates waiting - the absence of the ‘nag’ icon on the screen has actually been a comfort. Presumably the basket case called 2020.8.1.1 will be skipped on my car completely and the next notification will be for 2020.8.2 at some point in time.

That’s what I did last month. Happy to get each software update later, so that others can be the guinea pigs.

After Tesla ‘unstuck’ my stalled 2020.4.1 download a few weeks back, I have not received any further notifications of updates waiting - the absence of the ‘nag’ icon on the screen has actually been a comfort. Presumably the basket case called 2020.8.1.1 will be skipped on my car completely and the next notification will be for 2020.8.2 at some point in time.
Just got 2020.8.2 from 2020.4.1

One of the bugs in 20.8.1.1 is the fact that the center screen just spontaneously reboots itself. Has happened to me twice already. Also audio recognition is poor, and this was supposed to be its main feature. The only other feature was the phone Bluetooth thing which allows the phone to connect only when in the car and seated in the drivers seat. That does seem to work, but i have not given it a thorough testing mainly because i dont get a lot of calls.

• Disagree
Reactions: mmui90
Since the 20.8.1.1 update or possibly because my partner and I are spending more time together, the car has been picking up his phone when we both get in the vehicle at the same time. My phone was paired first and I noticed that it was the second phone in the list of Bluetooth phone profiles. So I ‘forgot’ my phone and re-paired it to make it the first profile in the list.
Bluetooth has picked up my phone consistently ever since but it’s only been a couple of days.
Just a thought.

I have constant problems with the profile stuff. My car constantly sets itself to my wifes profile, even if I was the last driver and I'm the only one near/in the car. My phone was originally connected first, so I tried deleting the profile and re-installing, but no different, it still prefers to choose my wifes profile.
The only thing I can think of is that we both have the same model of phone, and this profile stuff is based on phone type rather than some deeper phone ID.

Audio recognition is now the worst I've seen, from working beautifully (and way better than other cars) for the last 3.5 years to almost un-workable now. Hope we get 2020.8.3 soon
It works loads better if you press and quickly release the button before speaking. Its hopeless if you hold the button.
Speech used to be brilliant, then it became unusable, now its kind of usable but not reliable.

Tesla software engineers dont test their work before release. I can only assume they all think they are perfect. How that release that destroyed voice recognition got past anyone is beyond me
I think they underestimated the combined effects of network latency and scalability - I gave them a bit of slack as it would be hard to program for the worst case scenario unless you never wanted to release it.

I can't believe how differently 2020.8.1 seems to work for different cars!
I have found speech recognition is now back to excellent- push and release and then talk...
And having read what some of you guys have posted, I had to go and check if was actually on the same OS- which I am. Weird!

EDIT- (sorry have been working LOONG hours-) I'm on 2020.8.1, not 2020.8.1.1.
Which, on all your advice, I shall NOT download....

I think they underestimated the combined effects of network latency and scalability - I gave them a bit of slack as it would be hard to program for the worst case scenario unless you never wanted to release it.
So you think its ok to roll out a voice system that completely just doesn’t work, at all. Why wouldn’t someone roll it into a car out the back of the factory and try it first. Adds a whole 15 minutes. Basic checking of ones work.

At least it works 'to some extent' now. The problem I have with it is the mis-interpretation of names. There are some it just refuses to get right, as if it is working with a non-Oz dictionary. I tried navigating to Raymond Terrace (NSW town) the other day, and it would just NOT get the town name correct. Yet when I typed in to the navigation screen it found the street etc in the town, in the prompting list.

Today, the following happened. Went up to Bilpin to pick apples - out in the open and easily able to social distance. All went well until—2020.8.1.1 my car suddenly would not go into D. At least it went into D and the instant i touched the accelerator it defaulted back to P. The car jerked ever so slightly as though trying to move off. Happened 3 or 4 times. I rebooted both screens, still same result. So, got out of the car to allow it to lock itself and tried again. This time car was drivable but got the error “emergency braking disabled.” Following another stop and park followed by a restart from locked, the car was normally driveable again.
This has to be the most bug filled version I have ever received from Tesla!!!

I have put in a formal bug report, with times and VIN. Can’t wait for the updated version reported above. The other minor bugs i experienced before were nothing like this!! On a Sunday, 80km from Sydney, i had visions of sleeping in the car waiting for a flatbed!! VERY unsettling. Surreal up there also with take aways only at all venues and most people trying to distance- except for the dickheads who didn’t or wouldn’t! The apples and apple pies were well up to standard though and wonderfully fresh. Recommend it to you all, at least until they lock us down.

Last edited:
Today, the following happened. Went up to Bilpin to pick apples - out in the open and easily able to social distance. All went well until—2020.8.1.1 my car suddenly would not go into D. At least it went into D and the instant i touched the accelerator it defaulted back to P. The car jerked ever so slightly as though trying to move off. Happened 3 or 4 times. I rebooted both screens, still same result. So, got out of the car to allow it to lock itself and tried again. This time car was drivable but got the error “emergency braking disabled.” Following another stop and park followed by a restart from locked, the car was normally driveable again.
This has to be the most bug filled version I have ever received from Tesla!!!

I have put in a formal bug report, with times and VIN. Can’t wait for the updated version reported above. The other minor bugs i experienced before were nothing like this!! On a Sunday, 80km from Sydney, i had visions of sleeping in the car waiting for a flatbed!! VERY unsettling. Surreal up there also with take aways only at all venues and most people trying to distance- except for the dickheads who didn’t or wouldn’t! The apples and apple pies were well up to standard though and wonderfully fresh. Recommend it to you all, at least until they lock us down.
1. Sucks that the ca let you down- roll on the .2!
2. So, where should I buy the pie from? I might head up there during the week- work is literally killing me (been awake since 2:30...) so I need a nice drive to distract me and unwind sometime during the week