Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Thursday I received notification that 2020.8.3 was ready for my car. Installed yesterday.

I LOVE DAB+ !!!!!

It is soooooo much better than streaming Cräpify - much better sound quality and nowhere near the same delay in coming on.

So that means my car skipped 2020.8.1.1 and 2020.8.2. Went straight from 2020.4.1 to 2020.8.3. I’ll definitely leave my software update preference on “Standard”.
Well mine went from 20.4.1 to 20.8.2 and a couple of days later to 20.8.3 and that's on advanced. I dont think that setting has anything to do with how quickly or otherwise the updates happen. There is some random number generator at Tesla that figures it out.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I'm so glad to hear others say this! It's been one of my main gripes with the car since day 1, and essentially the feedback I've gotten is "Tesla can never be wrong! You're wrong!". I gave up on auto climate months ago, and switched to manual control, but even that fluctuates temperature a lot. From reading the manual, even on manual mode it's still trying to control cabin temperature, not vent temperature. I've found that having a fairly strong fan speed reduces the fluctuations a little, but not much. I just have it blowing on the windscreen now, so i don't feel it as much.

I've noticed recently as well that it often blows hot air when i get back in the car after being parked for a short time (sometimes AC charging, sometimes not). At times i've had to set it to LO to cool it back down quickly before breaking into a sweat.
I've found that the better method is to leave the fan alone, leave it on auto, and just put up with adjusting the temperature frequently. The system works far better when it thinks its in control.

I've found that the better method is to leave the fan alone, leave it on auto, and just put up with adjusting the temperature frequently. The system works far better when it thinks its in control.
I agree. When I first got the car I set climate control to manual and fiddled with it endlessly and concluded that it was complete rubbish. I could not stay cool in the car. In frustration and disappointment I later tried it on Auto and it was an order of magnitude better. I think it works fine on Auto the vast majority of the time, the only thing I do is occasionally tweak the temp up and down, I don’t find I need to do it very often.

I’m also pleased that my car still smells new after 3 months. No stinky AC issues for me (so far...).

I agree, in as much as I have found it does a better job when leaving it in Auto. However it is still rubbish. Telsafi logs show how it cannot cope.

Here is an example of it cooking me when it is cold outside.
upload_2020-4-4_16-26-48.png

However I most of the time I find myself Cold. Here it just cannot get the cabin above ~22 degrees.

upload_2020-4-4_16-41-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-4_16-35-56.png
    upload_2020-4-4_16-35-56.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: corndog
I had to ditch auto because it never did what i wanted it to. I actually adjust manual a lot less than i did with auto. When it was on auto it kept reverting back to fresh air (i prefer it on recirc in town so i don't have to smell exhaust fumes), and i didn't like it's choice of vents. For example it would blow hot air on my face, which i can't stand, and would never cool my feet even on really hot days. As soon as you try to select the vent you want, it switches to manual anyway. At least on manual it will stay on the previous settings. On auto it's always doing it's own thing.

On Thursday I received notification that 2020.8.3 was ready for my car. Installed yesterday.

I LOVE DAB+ !!!!!

It is soooooo much better than streaming Cräpify - much better sound quality and nowhere near the same delay in coming on.

So that means my car skipped 2020.8.1.1 and 2020.8.2. Went straight from 2020.4.1 to 2020.8.3. I’ll definitely leave my software update preference on “Standard”.

Yes, DAB+ is great. Was quite supprised it just auto scans everything and its all presented in a list, its a fair bit easier than ive experienced in other DAB systems.

Not sure if I missed it, but all the FM and DAB stations were grouped together in a list, which makes it hard to determine what is DAB and what is FM when selecting stations.

Not sure if I missed it, but all the FM and DAB stations were grouped together in a list, which makes it hard to determine what is DAB and what is FM when selecting stations.
Yes, I noticed that too. I found in most cases the station name with spaces in it is the DAB+ one, and the one without is FM (or was it the other way around? :p). But that obviously doesn’t work with stations that consist of one word :D. I just went through the list and favourited the ones I wanted.

I read that California can now select non tesla chargers in NAV and non Tesla charger selection will be rolled out to the rest of the US and other countries. That will be helpful for all of us. Probably ABRP will take a bit of a hit when that update gets rolled out.

Last edited:
What is this witchcraft you speak of?!?! I live in the second biggest NSW city and it does not exist!
I feel your pain, I did live there once upon a time.

According to https://www.digitalradioplus.com.au broadcasters have identified the following regional centres as priority markets for the rollout of DAB+ within the next five years: Newcastle, Dubbo, Albury, Lithgow, Sale, Bathurst, Cooma, Goulburn, Warragul, Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Bundaberg and Murwillumbah.

Um, be patient?

Reactions: OzVic
have installed and driven. NoAP handles exits much more smoothly now. DAB+ is nice

Further to this, tried NoAP over the weekend and noticed a few more things:
  • Automatic lane changes are smooth as butter. When a car is coming up quickly on your right side, the car will wait to indicate about 5 seconds before the car passes and then very confidently move right behind and speed up to overtake. This does require CONSTANT torque on the steering wheel however to let the car know you are paying attention.

• With about 2KM to go before an exit, the car will start display its intent to move over into the left lane to take the exit. This is both good and bad. Sometimes the left most lane is actually the exit lane for the exit BEFORE the one you intend to take. I think the logic here will need to be tweaked. Basically, wait for there to be 0 exits between current position and target exit AND target exit is <2Km then and only then start moving into the left lane

• The exit manoeuvre is greatly improved. Previously it suddenly over steer into the exit bay and then aggressively correct to stay in the lane. It created a lot of unnecessary lateral movement which is slightly scary and uncomfortable. Now it just smoothly transitions into the exit lane as good as, if not better than a human driver.

The rate of improvement is amazing. Going from zero NoAP capability, to a pretty bad NoAP to now a totally useful NoAP within 3 months really begs the question of what it will be like in 3 years!

Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
The exit manoeuvre is greatly improved. Previously it suddenly over steer into the exit bay and then aggressively correct to stay in the lane. It created a lot of unnecessary lateral movement which is slightly scary and uncomfortable. Now it just smoothly transitions into the exit lane as good as, if not better than a human driver.

The rate of improvement is amazing. Going from zero NoAP capability, to a pretty bad NoAP to now a totally useful NoAP within 3 months really begs the question of what it will be like in 3 years!

I was coming North on the Newcastle expressway today on NOAP and navigating to the SC at Tuggerah. At the highway turnoff to Wyong the car pulled violently into the exit lane right at its beginning and then overcompensated as it tried to align itself in the lane. Yet heading south this morning and headed for the same SC the car pulled off into the exit lane and even followed the merge lane onto Wyong road in a very smooth manner.
Overall I cant say that I've noticed any improvements with the 8.3 update for NoAP.
Voice recognition seems to have improved greatly though.

I think they underestimated the combined effects of network latency and scalability - I gave them a bit of slack as it would be hard to program for the worst case scenario unless you never wanted to release it.

So you think its ok to roll out a voice system that completely just doesn’t work, at all. Why wouldn’t someone roll it into a car out the back of the factory and try it first. Adds a whole 15 minutes. Basic checking of ones work.
Doi! It would have all worked fine at the factory acceptance testing, no scale and no latency.

Last edited: