Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the Auto High beams work pretty well on country roads.
One annoyance - when Auto High beam is selected it seems impossible at the start of a drive to trigger high beam, until you exceed a speed of about 45kmh, regardless of how dark it is. Once you have exceeded the 45kmh trigger to get high beam on you can then slow right up again and they remain regardless of speed. This is a real pain if you frequent unpaved rural driveways as I do.
When we come home at night, the last few hundred metres after turning off a high speed sealed road, are on a narrow gravel road and the lights refuse to switch to high beam. The lights dip when I slow down for the corner but because the speed is low on the gravel, they wont switch back to high. Most annoying.

Tesla should hire the engineer that did Volvo’s lights. The most amazing headlights I have ever driven.

Or they could talk to Mazda. My wife's CX9 has adaptive high beam which is amazingly good. I turned off auto high beam after I'd annoyed a few people when the car would unexpectedly go to high beam. My personal theory was the software was tuned for LHD and so was not as sensitive to oncoming traffic to my right.

Btw just curious if anyone else is still on 8.3? I've been waiting (probably not patiently enough) for the update notice on my M3 LR. I'm keen to try out the new sentry app.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Btw just curious if anyone else is still on 8.3? I've been waiting (probably not patiently enough) for the update notice on my M3 LR. I'm keen to try out the new sentry app.

Yep, my M3 started downloading 12.5 on Saturday but then aborted, so I'm stuck on 8.3 - it seems like they pulled the release from Aus. Looking at the Aus breakdown of 12.5 on teslafi most were installed on Saturday. 2 on Sunday, 1 on Monday and none since then. Hopefully there'll be another release for the rest of us soon. Of 219 Australians in teslafi, only 66 are currently on 12.5.

According to the autopilot screens we're all beta testers... I guess the closed group would be close to alpha then. Any idea how one can become part of that illustrious group?

The lack of feedback (or the feedback resistance of Tesla rather) to the many bug reports I am sending and documenting, some even with detailed video is really starting to annoy me. See my other post here: Autopilot rocks video. With some issues and improvement suggestions.

I dropped $200k on a vehicle full well knowing many features are beta - I would expect a more interactive experience with the engineers on that front in return. Some of the AP behaviours here in Oz are not just half baked, they're outright dangerous.

>>Some of the AP behaviours here in Oz are not just half baked, they're outright dangerous.<<

Absolutely.

Anyone who imagines that there will be FSD in any current cars is living in a dreamworld.

Let me clarify that: FSD to me means a vehicle that will drive and navigate itself without anyone necessarily being in the car. I suspect that FSD to Tesla - and all other manufacturers - means a car that will do all the above - almost all the time. Unfortunately, in the real world, "almost all the time" just doesn't cut it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Didaho
>>Some of the AP behaviours here in Oz are not just half baked, they're outright dangerous.<<

Absolutely.

Anyone who imagines that there will be FSD in any current cars is living in a dreamworld.

Let me clarify that: FSD to me means a vehicle that will drive and navigate itself without anyone necessarily being in the car. I suspect that FSD to Tesla - and all other manufacturers - means a car that will do all the above - almost all the time. Unfortunately, in the real world, "almost all the time" just doesn't cut it.
Have to agree. We’ve been told every version of a tesla so far will be capable of FSD, including the first one. I dont think australia recieved any non camera/radar cars? You only have to look at the gains since autopilot was released to see that the advancement rate is incredibly slow. Always fun getting new features though.

• Disagree
>>Have to agree. We’ve been told every version of a tesla so far will be capable of FSD, including the first one. I dont think australia recieved any non camera/radar cars? You only have to look at the gains since autopilot was released to see that the advancement rate is incredibly slow. Always fun getting new features though.<<

Yes, it's not "merely" safety, is it?
Just imagine the absolute chaos there would be if there were more than a handful of cars on the road that - even occasionally - stopped dead at a small roundabout, or roadworks that required a detour onto a path. Or any of a million and one un-programmable circumstances.

• Disagree
Unassisted FSD, as in: no human there to facilitate impasses, won't be here for a long time, that's clear. Which is why it's all the more disappointing that Tesla's approach is heading for buggy automation rather than reliable assistance. They really should be looking at aviation where we've seen gradual improvements in automation systems, making the pilot the systems manager of a flight more so than a driver/pilot.

On the freeway away from obstacles, the Tesla AP functions very, very well. In slow stop and go traffic, likewise. These are also the two scenarios where we really need it most, autonomously handling tedious supervisory functions, so Tesla's software engineering focus should be on creating AP modes that are easily engaged and disengaged so as to make the semiautonomous driving seamless. It is for example incomprehensible to me that AS alone cannot be disengaged on its own other than brute force overriding the steering wheel, or by disengaging TACC+AS (i.e. everything). It's equally incomprehensible that predictably false information such as speed limit information from map database is used by the system to set TACC speeds. That's crazy unreliable.

Reactions: baillies
Slightly off topic but I see they've put an expiry on premium connectivity (Model 3 SR+.) It's $16.99 per month for premium, this can be found in your account.
Thanks, that's interesting. My LR with came premium connectivity included. 12 months if I recall correctly. In my account I see the option to "Review" my subscription and to subscribe at $16.99 per month, but I already have premium connectivity. No Expiry date either. So that is a little confusing.

Also I notice the Tesla app recently added the Upgrades tab here is Australia. So you can buy addons like FSD & Accel boost from here instead of only via the Website.

• Informative
Reactions: MonicaPlease
>>Have to agree. We’ve been told every version of a tesla so far will be capable of FSD, including the first one. I dont think australia recieved any non camera/radar cars? You only have to look at the gains since autopilot was released to see that the advancement rate is incredibly slow. Always fun getting new features though.<<

Yes, it's not "merely" safety, is it?
Just imagine the absolute chaos there would be if there were more than a handful of cars on the road that - even occasionally - stopped dead at a small roundabout, or roadworks that required a detour onto a path. Or any of a million and one un-programmable circumstances.
You mean like mine yesterday when it decided to slam the brakes on in the middle of a major two lane road. Fortunately no-one behind me. Would have been a ‘FSD’ rear ender if there was.

Reactions: MonicaPlease