Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the updates, I have given up on finding a pattern for when you would get it or what version you would get or what to do to get it. It seems to be very random :).

So true...
Regarding the autopark - it states in the manual that the system detects a certain distance available between parked cars. Do you think this means it won't show on an empty carpark for example?
If so that would explain why I've never seen the park symbol - I've been looking for it where there are no parked cars so as not to damage anything for a first few attempts - I don't trust automatics to back me into a space with cars on either side!

So true...
Regarding the autopark - it states in the manual that the system detects a certain distance available between parked cars. Do you think this means it won't show on an empty carpark for example?
If so that would explain why I've never seen the park symbol - I've been looking for it where there are no parked cars so as not to damage anything for a first few attempts - I don't trust automatics to back me into a space with cars on either side!

it doesn’t detect parking lines with vision, so you will need to try it with gaps between parked cars. Works very well in those cases.

it doesn’t detect parking lines with vision, so you will need to try it with gaps between parked cars. Works very well in those cases.

So you have to drive along looking for a single space, not double or more? Seems a bit Mickey Mousey to me! And if that's the case it would oblige by parking any old how between the other cars, ignoring the lines. Or does it suddenly regain the ability to see the lines when you engage reverse? We should be told.......

I've used autopark several times, and compared to my previous autopark (Toyota) it works very well, and is much faster, on occasion almost as fast as I would do it manually. But yes, it takes an unusually large space (by Oz standards) for it to even give you the option.

So true...

I've used it a few times and it does work. But from memory it requires 7m between the cars before it will show that the space is there. The times I have used it it would have been just as easy to do it manually.

It is a great party trick if you have a passenger in the car though.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
So you have to drive along looking for a single space, not double or more? Seems a bit Mickey Mousey to me! And if that's the case it would oblige by parking any old how between the other cars, ignoring the lines. Or does it suddenly regain the ability to see the lines when you engage reverse? We should be told.......
We have a lot of parallel parking space in Adelaide that do not have lines. Everyone just parks so there is social distance to the diseased car in front.

for angle parking it appears to use the car on either side as reference.. i have noticed it seems to use the back line as reference of when to stop in the park space i.e.if no car to front or back (only sides) .. i think i need to try where there is no line or stopper to the back or front and no car either .. only with cars on either side. - have a feeling it will overshoot the space or stick out too much to the exit direction.

e.g angle parking
__________.

[ CAR ]

< ---- [TESLA] reverse in or front in first

[ CAR ]

for parallel it appears to again use the two cars in front and back as reference for the space in between.. this time no line but the curb as reference to the side of the car.

- I recall on AP1 on Model S it tended to park too close to the side/curb not taking into account space to allow doors on curb side to open so passengers could get out.

e.g. parallel parking

___________________CURB_________________

[ CAR ] ............ < ----\ .................. [ CAR ]
.....................................\
..................................... \ ______ [ TESLA ] reverse in

But otherwise it is very much human-like in its parking maneuver i.e. it will actually drive out of the space to correct or straighen itself up..quite uncanny at times.. but keep an eye on it especially if parking next to a pillar or post as have had it on two occassions steer towards a pillar to the left front fender :( could have been a painful outcome - i did ask Tesla service technician and they said yeah it tends to 'not see' narrow vertical objects .. like what?? i mean with both B pillar camera and ultrasonic sensor on either side u'd think it surely should see very well.. (but then again the algorirthm may not be using the side cameras at all - just the ultrasonic sensor (effectively only 4 - RL, FL, RR and FR (with the rest covering the front and back ) to cover the sides of the car as is the case with the pre AP1 Model S's)

wonder if the B pillar cameras are actually even used yet? as why not capture for sentry / dashcam as well (additional two more feeds) - this would help for a wider angle of coverage to the front / sides of the car (the front camera used - doesn't have a wide enough view to capture what's happening on the front left and right most areas around the car - that's where the B pillar cameras are meant to cover at least)

p.s sorry about the terrible ascii drawing (ignore the dots ..only there to maintain drawing per line)

If only wasn't lazy to draw up something and attach it as an image (guess started having bit of fun with the ascii drawing :p)

Last edited:
I don't... so we now have a confirmed 16.

Sorry, I have to rush off now as it is bin night here (seriously) and I'm going to go driving around for a bit and relish in my renders (not so seriously).

When the pubs open back up again and some mate starts bragging about THEIR car I will just interject saying "yeah, but can it recognize a bin?" ... that should shut them up and make me a legend ;)

Who else still stuck on 2020.8.3? I am pretty sure I got a message on my phone (which later disappeared) about 3 weeks ago that an update was available but I was going out so could not take action. There was some early commentary on the internet about problems with that update but I have seen no further update messages since.

Who else still stuck on 2020.8.3? I am pretty sure I got a message on my phone (which later disappeared) about 3 weeks ago that an update was available but I was going out so could not take action. There was some early commentary on the internet about problems with that update but I have seen no further update messages since.

I'm stuck on 2020.8.3 too. I noticed an update was available a few weeks ago while i was out but by the time i got home it had been pulled and I havent been notified since. Model 3 SR+.

I'm not super worried, car works fine, just find it interesting that they would push out an update and then pull it so quickly.

I've written on the USA threads, but with the Model S the rendering of traffic lights and stop signs is so small, and they appear and come towards the car icon so quickly, that they are effectively useless unless you are looking all the time at the display.

Which is NOT recommended.....

I think perhaps the Model 3 has a larger display of these icons from what I see on YouTube.

I've written on the USA threads, but with the Model S the rendering of traffic lights and stop signs is so small, and they appear and come towards the car icon so quickly, that they are effectively useless unless you are looking all the time at the display.

From what i've seen on YouTube, with the latest US update (2020.12.6) is that the car is detecting them earlier (approx. 100m) & the colour of the lights are much brighter than the FSD visualisation preview, even on the Model S & X.

From what i've seen on YouTube, with the latest US update (2020.12.6) is that the car is detecting them earlier (approx. 100m) & the colour of the lights are much brighter than the FSD visualisation preview, even on the Model S & X.

Yep much much more obvious renderings of which colour light on model s and x is coming in the patch where the car will stoop at every traffic and stop light. In the case of traffic lights it will stop no matter what the colour until manually overrriden.

Which is NOT recommended.....

I think perhaps the Model 3 has a larger display of these icons from what I see on YouTube.
Surely the size of anything in the display is pointless? All that matters is what the driver sees, which is either you looking out the window or the cars camera looking through its lens. Not sure why everyone wants tesla engineers wasting time on dash visualisations. Surely perfecting the current ‘autopilot’ and making it more reliable is a better starting point?