Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 2020.16.2.1 e99c70ff update a week ago. I have had night phantom drain since. S P85D. The car is scheduled 12am charging. I haveI haven't driven the car since the update and noticed tonight on teslafi that the car charges every night at 12am for 10 or so minutes and again at 3 to 330am for a few minutes. From 81% to 81% the second time around.

As I have a seperate power monitor from the tesla charger I have confirmed that this is happening and every night it's charging between 3 and 4kw

That's 20kw now in 6 days. I've checked my power consumption on three previous weeks as usually it tops up at max twice a week at idle

Anyone else with this issue since the update? I

I think not only is formatting and and save on honk greyed out on a multi partition drive with 2020.16.2.1
sentry mode is also disabled

No sentry mode recording screen warning
Nothing recording, no on screen xx number of event warnings, no mater what I tried
Sentry mode wasn't recording on 2020.16.2.1 until I reformatted to single partition
I had two partitions on SSD

Dashcam was still working

I retained my 2-partition M.2 drive and manually formatted both partitions to exFAT (and created the TeslaCam folder in the TESLADRIVE drive) on my PC. After a day of driving and shopping by the wife, I clicked on the dashcam icon to save the last 10mins of clips, eject the drive and plugged it into my PC.

In the TeslaCam folder I see:
  • RecentClips
  • SavedClips
  • SentryClips
Each sub-folder contained the relevant videos with a JSON file in each SavedClips & SentryClips sub-folder.

Sentry mode recording is working with my 2-partition USB drive :cool:.

I retained my 2-partition M.2 drive and manually formatted both partitions to exFAT (and created the TeslaCam folder in the TESLADRIVE drive) on my PC. After a day of driving and shopping by the wife, I clicked on the dashcam icon to save the last 10mins of clips, eject the drive and plugged it into my PC.

In the TeslaCam folder I see:
  • RecentClips
  • SavedClips
  • SentryClips
Each sub-folder contained the relevant videos with a JSON file in each SavedClips & SentryClips sub-folder.

Sentry mode recording is working with my 2-partition USB drive :cool:.
Mine was 2 partitions formatted fat32 dashcam was working
Sentry was also working up till 2020.16.2.1
now single partition exFAT

I just went out to the car sentry mode is not working again :(
no restrictions set on sentry mode, home, work etc.
Car has been sitting over night, walked up to the car with no cell phone
nothing, no lights flash no sentry mode recording on screen
Screen was not displaying anything.
Pulled on rear door handles, passenger door handle a few times each
nothing.
Pulled on drivers door contactors came on, screen woke up - Tap key card to unlock on screen
no sentry mode recording warning

It looks like the car is going into a deep sleep and ignoring sentry mode
settings and turning off the contactors

Previously the contactors would not be turned off if sentry mode was enabled
and sentry mode would be active 24/7

looks like a service visit for me :(

updated 2020.16.2.1
I went for a drive and it picks up people walking all over the place. It painted a pedestrian walking along the footpath in RED then hit the take control immediately / Alert alarm. I mean, I would have been happy for that alarm if they walked or jumped out in front of me, but not for them just minding their own business smelling the roses while walking along the footpath.

Mine was 2 partitions formatted fat32 dashcam was working
Sentry was also working up till 2020.16.2.1
now single partition exFAT

I just went out to the car sentry mode is not working again :(
no restrictions set on sentry mode, home, work etc.
Car has been sitting over night, walked up to the car with no cell phone
nothing, no lights flash no sentry mode recording on screen
Screen was not displaying anything.
Pulled on rear door handles, passenger door handle a few times each
nothing.
Pulled on drivers door contactors came on, screen woke up - Tap key card to unlock on screen
no sentry mode recording warning

It looks like the car is going into a deep sleep and ignoring sentry mode
settings and turning off the contactors

Previously the contactors would not be turned off if sentry mode was enabled
and sentry mode would be active 24/7

looks like a service visit for me :(
Have you tried soft/hard reboot?

Ah I see. 2020.20.1 has just started rolling out seemingly worldwide, so hopefully a fix for this may be close.

I am on 2020.16.2.1, like most of us. Only notable improvements with it from my point of view are:
1) Hitting Telsa icon to access odometer, manuals and info, not longer spams you with the annoying toybox.
2) Autopilot "Brake before turns" seems to works for all/most corners now. So predictive rather than reactive braking at corners. In the past I found it only occurred on a few specific bends, for no obvious reason. Rest of the corners it would plough along at the speed limit, and panic brake at the apex, if the turn was too tight. With 2020.16.2.1, when I drive a really windy bit of road it stays well below the speed limit or the max speed I set and it meanders along cautiously and far more successfully. So that is a major change IMO.

As others mentioned the Tunein radio favourites bug is still there though. I suppose this bug might be somewhat market specific and a few of need to report it to Tesla so the know to fix it.

updated 2020.16.2.1
I went for a drive and it picks up people walking all over the place. It painted a pedestrian walking along the footpath in RED then hit the take control immediately / Alert alarm. I mean, I would have been happy for that alarm if they walked or jumped out in front of me, but not for them just minding their own business smelling the roses while walking along the footpath.
I’m OK with it erring on the side of caution a this stage (or any other come to think of it)

My car updated to 2020.16.2.1 yesterday morning.
  • Regen as strong as ever
  • It picked up a pedestrian crossing the road between intersections and stopping at one of those centre traffic islands, I got the red bleep bleep bleep warning. I was fully focussed on the road ahead so she was never in danger but I thought the warning appropriate
  • Haven’t tried Tunein because DAB is much better
  • Too soon to see if any phantom drain changes (previously I got about 1 km/day if no waking)
  • Sentry viewer still doesn’t work - get Sentry events then tap to view and get “Video Unavailable”

My car updated to 2020.16.2.1 yesterday morning.

Haven’t tried Tunein because DAB is much better
How do you listen to podcasts with DAB? How do you stream a radio station from abroad with DAB?
Sentry viewer still doesn’t work - get Sentry events then tap to view and get “Video Unavailable”
Try formatting your USB drive using the cars interface and see if it improves

Last edited:
How do you listen to podcasts with DAB? How do you stream a radio station from abroad with DAB?
I don’t listen to podcasts or stream non-local radio stations.

Try formatting your USB drive using the cars interface and see if it improves
It can play back older videos (saved videos or Sentry events) so I doubt formatting is the issue. “Tap to view” a Sentry event has never worked for me - does it work on yours?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I don’t listen to podcasts or stream non-local radio stations.
You dont know what your are missing out on. Tunein has loads of interesting content. Numerous Telsa related podcasts & all sorts of other interesting stuff. It also provides digital access to many local radio stations as well, which is great in regional areas with poor reception. DAB might technically have better audio quality when you have reception. Tunein has a far greater better content choice.
It can play back older videos (saved videos or Sentry events) so I doubt formatting is the issue. “Tap to view” a Sentry event has never worked for me - does it work on yours?

On my car “Tap to view” new sentry events works fine. I just triggered and event and tested it to confirm. I reckon it is worth formatting with the car to guarantee compatibility. It will of course erase everything, including older video files, that do not have locale files that the dashcam viewer menu uses. At very least try another USB drive temporarily to see if it fixes your “Tap to view” issue.

Interested to see comment above about 16.12 and pedestrian alert on side of road. As I had similar issue. Day after update I pulled up at red lights about a car length behind a truck after being stationary for several seconds the emergency brakes went on including hazards and telling me to take control immediately. The truck in front was painted red as if I was going to hit it! Few seconds later went away. Noticed car pre empting cornering better by slowing down appropriately albeit a bit too conservatively but seems smoother

You dont know what your are missing out on. Tunein has loads of interesting content. Numerous Telsa related podcasts & all sorts of other interesting stuff.
I’m sure there is, there’s just not enough hours in the week for me to do everything that I want to do.

It also provides digital access to many local radio stations as well, which is great in regional areas with poor reception.
Yep, and that’s when I’d use it, or when the local station is AM only.

Reactions: MonicaPlease