Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all sounds like a cobbled together addition to the software to continue to capture those willing to pay around $5-$8k for a ‘tesla promise’. You now do more work for a traffic light in autopilot than you did out of autopilot, but tesla have delivered on their promise to you of traffic light detection, so now they can add a new feature to the ‘coming soon’ list to suck up some more cash. Its not even close to ‘full self driving’, which I’m assuming is a marketing slogan.

@Wol747 Tesla could have learnt a lot from autopilot operation in aircraft as a model for their implementation strategy: Each autopilot mode should be operable separately.
- Cruise control should have a "dumb" mode where it just maintains the set speed, perhaps only reacting to traffic straight ahead. Like 90% of all other vehicles reliably do.
- Autosteer should be available independently of TACC
- Stopping for traffic lights and signs should be independent again (which it is) - however, the option shouldn't be hidden away in the autopilot settings.

All modes should be switchable through an easily accessible button, always visible, and near the drivers line of sight. There should be a line of push buttons (touch screen buttons) at the top of the screen similar to the glareshield in an airliner: CC Speed / CC Traffic / AutoSteer / Lights and Signs / NoA - each being able to engaged/disengaged by pushing the button.

Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) does that when navigating.

Just trialed 2020.20.13 From Melbourne to Yarrawonga and back, mostly on the Hume Highway. NoA was engaged for 98% of the journey, but the trip included a few kilometers on a backroad with no line markings, so I had to revert to TACC for that section.

Some observations:

1. Stopping at lights, roundabouts and stop signs worked consistently, and tapping the accelerator to continue through green lights was fairly intuitive and smooth. However, in heavy traffic, having stopped a few cars back from the red light, the car would initially accelerate on green to follow the car in front, and then slow for the light it had already stopped for, which seemed overly zealous.

2. At freeway speeds, the car would occasionally want to change to the overtaking lane for no apparent reason, even with no other vehicles in sight. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. On many Australian roads, the line markings will stop at intersections and exit ramps, which the car interprets as a widening of the road. This is a dangerous assumption to make, and often causes the car to veer left at just the wrong time.

4. Their were a few uncommanded braking events, usually when overtaking a larger vehicle.

5. The new ability to slow on corners was mostly good, although disturbing when braking only occurs midway through the corner.

Thoughts?

It all sounds like a cobbled together addition to the software to continue to capture those willing to pay around $5-$8k for a ‘tesla promise’. You now do more work for a traffic light in autopilot than you did out of autopilot, but tesla have delivered on their promise to you of traffic light detection, so now they can add a new feature to the ‘coming soon’ list to suck up some more cash. Its not even close to ‘full self driving’, which I’m assuming is a marketing slogan.

Ok boomer

One thing I’ve noticed for my .13 update is that sentry mode is now up and running, but giving me a grey screen as the 10+ min recording rather than the actual footage. Has anyone else seen this?

I’ll have a go at reformatting the USB drive, it is single formatted FAT32 and a high speed video microSD card.

One thing I’ve noticed for my .13 update is that sentry mode is now up and running, but giving me a grey screen as the 10+ min recording rather than the actual footage. Has anyone else seen this?

I’ll have a go at reformatting the USB drive, it is single formatted FAT32 and a high speed video microSD card.
The 2020.20...... update was supposed to have fixed Sentry mode switching off & the car going to sleep
It’s been fairly rock solid - but I’ll pay closer attention

@OneSpeed I've made the same observations with NoA between Sydney and Melbourne, did that trip twice in March, and it kept doing lane changes which seemed linked to where the car thought an onramp was present. At those locations it would change into the passing lane. However, it also did it a few times without onramp present.

The random slowdowns when passing other vehicles are also a feature I regularly observe, hence my statement above that I can't really use TACC in dense traffic. It takes too much effort to constantly drive with my foot near the accelerator to correct its learner driver behaviours.

I'm now tempted to think that this is poor human driving that has been absorbed into the neural network used for TACC. Too many drivers are slowing down before passing, instead of minimising the time spent passing and maintaining speed. Either that, or the ultrasonic sensors are detecting false positives.

This is one of the frustrating parts of driving with autopilot. You never find out why it did misbehave in a certain way.

@OneSpeed I've made the same observations with NoA between Sydney and Melbourne, did that trip twice in March, and it kept doing lane changes which seemed linked to where the car thought an onramp was present. At those locations it would change into the passing lane.
I don’t mind that - it’s being preemptive because so many idiots (and there are HEAPS of them) entering a freeway expect the existing cars to give them way, when the obligation is on them

@Wol747 Tesla could have learnt a lot from autopilot operation in aircraft as a model for their implementation strategy: Each autopilot mode should be operable separately.
- Cruise control should have a "dumb" mode where it just maintains the set speed, perhaps only reacting to traffic straight ahead. Like 90% of all other vehicles reliably do.
- Autosteer should be available independently of TACC
- Stopping for traffic lights and signs should be independent again (which it is) - however, the option shouldn't be hidden away in the autopilot settings.

All modes should be switchable through an easily accessible button, always visible, and near the drivers line of sight. There should be a line of push buttons (touch screen buttons) at the top of the screen similar to the glareshield in an airliner: CC Speed / CC Traffic / AutoSteer / Lights and Signs / NoA - each being able to engaged/disengaged by pushing the button.

Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) does that when navigating.
Personally I can’t wait until we have no options in the UI and the car AI does all the work.

I think you need to sell your Tesla and buy a Subaru. They have lots and lots and lots of buttons.

• Disagree
Reactions: MonicaPlease
between Sydney and Melbourne

Large chunks of the Hume are not a controlled access motorway which is I think what NoA is designed for. Am surprised that NoA is enabled for lots of it. As well as proper on/off ramps there are people's driveways, and lots of intersections with small regional roads. It is more like an 'A' road.
Driving south from Yass to Jugiong there is a spot where, if you are in the right lane, NoA will attempt to enter one of the emergency services crossovers at 110km/h. A good reminder to always have your hands on the wheel and be paying attention. Doing the trip soon so will be interested whether the latest software / navigation update has changed anything.

@RareEarth I haven't encountered that emergency cutover issue, however, I've also disabled NoA after one too many random lane changes so most of the drives to Melbourne and back I just use TACC+AS, which works very well for most of that trip with low traffic density.

@Kangojack you'll be waiting for many years to come until the car does all the AI driving for you. In the meantime, I'd prefer to have control over which automation systems are used, and when. Understanding why the car does one thing and not another is vital to building trust.

And the speeding ticket I got two days ago for doing 50 on TACC in what now apparently is a 40 (poorly marked with 50 still visible on the ground markings) which the Tesla despite a nav database update from just a few days prior didn't know about is further evidence that this system is far from mature.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
On 20.13 .. traffic light recognition good except having to give it a kick for every green light.... I wonder what happens if you kick it along for green light early and lights change....hmmm? Anyway just wondering if others got Bluetooth phone call issue. Bluetooth seems to connect but first phone call I hear a click in the sound system and then silence. Everything gets muted... even indicators stayed silent. After pulling over and manually making phone call then next call works through car....

On 20.13 .. traffic light recognition good except having to give it a kick for every green light.... I wonder what happens if you kick it along for green light early and lights change....hmmm? Anyway just wondering if others got Bluetooth phone call issue. Bluetooth seems to connect but first phone call I hear a click in the sound system and then silence. Everything gets muted... even indicators stayed silent. After pulling over and manually making phone call then next call works through car....
It seems that the need to confirm to go through a light is just to tell the car you're paying attention. If the lights change after you've confirmed, the car stops anyway.

If the light changes, the warning message is displayed and the car gets ready to slow down. If the light is red then the car will not keep going and you need to disengage the autopilot/TACC.

It seems that the need to confirm to go through a light is just to tell the car you're paying attention. If the lights change after you've confirmed, the car stops anyway.

Surely the steering wheel nag is enough to tell the car that you are alive and in control, and the light is green, so the additional nag seems a little odd. It stops on red regardless.

This is just wrong. The car wants you to label every prediction of a green light. If it’s a prediction of a red light the only way to over ride is to accelerate through it. This way they can collect high quality labeled edge cases to help train future iterations of TLASSC

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman