Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>it does suck for those early adopters whose cars will be too old to really see FSD applied but such is life when you are on the first wave of an adoption curve — can’t have it both ways.<<

On that count I am an early adopter - I picked up my S 3 months ago - and never expect FSD in my lifetime, at least outside some areas in the US.

Wiper operation, phantom braking, revers mirrors acting at random, boot not responding unless a reboot made, never self parking safely, random messages that the driver's door pillar camera obscured - I could go on, but there's a hell of a lot of coding that isn't working to safety critical standards. That's ignoring the often scary way it changes lanes or misses turnoffs or takes them inappropriately.

It makes it patently evident that the car is soaking up data on its surroundings, making humunguous numbers of decisions but is just a bundle of code with no "understanding" - that condition that our wetware, fuzzy though it is, has from an early age.

A lot of people seem to think that FSD was promised for Autopilot since the beginning in 2013. That is not my recollection and is backed up by the Wikipedia entry that quotes:
“Elon Musk first discussed the Autopilot system publicly in 2013, noting "Autopilot is a good thing to have in planes, and we should have it in cars.".[7]

All Tesla cars manufactured between September 2014 and October 2016 had the initial hardware (HW1) that supported Autopilot.[8]On October 9, 2014, Tesla offered customers the ability to pre-purchase Autopilot capability within a "Tech Package" option. At that time Tesla stated Autopilot would include semi-autonomous drive and parking capabilities,[9][10][11] and was not designed for self-driving.[12]“

It is my recollection that at the time Elon said that cars capable of full self driving would be produced in about 3 years from that time so 2016-2017 which closely aligned with when HW2 was introduced.
I can say that I purchased my 2014 Model S understanding that it would never be Full Self Driving.
Our 2014 cars were also supposed to be able, on private property to be able to come and collect us at our front door. The eyeQ 3 chip supposedly is also capable of detecting traffic lights. Frankly, given what it does actually detect, I see no reason why such a claim would be wrong. It can detect the illuminated changeable speed limit signs, usually correctly, so really, why not traffic lights? By the same reasoning why not stop signs? They are a specific shape and colour, just like speed limit signs are. Paying for a licence to unlock those features would be amazing but clearly not going to happen. Tesla could, I suppose, put a price on these final available features of the chip, although, on signature cars that would be “chutzpah”! (Cheeky).

I've lately developed a bit of a beef with people that are happy making uninformed decisions - consuming/disseminating easily debunked disinformation particularly.
On the other hand, anyone that goes deep enough to browse forums, read topical blogs, watch vlogs etc. ie. is here - I'd consider well informed on things like FSD, and so forever without a blanket entitlement to whine about getting their money's worth as the state of play is pretty clear.
But that's just my opinion. Prost!

I consider myself not only well informed but also technology inclined, having been professionally involved in cutting edge scientific SW development for the better part of the last 25 years. What caught me out that I didn't expect from Tesla is what I call the "downgrade experience": A perfectly well functioning subsystem being replaced by an alpha stage release at best performing random actions without any feedback as to why it misbehaved. I drove just over 1000km yesterday from Sydney to Thredbo and back and experienced rock solid autosteer performance. But TACC - which used to work flawlessly on HW1 cars including speed sign recognition - was misbehaving like a bloody learner driver who mixes up accelerator and brake pedals, causing countless minor and 4 major massive braking events yesterday without discernible cause or reason. TACC in various incarnations exists in all medium to upper level cars these days, and not once have I seen that sort of behaviour in other cars (I also own a Lexus and owned a Prius for 150'000km, neither adaptive cruise control has misbehaved once). This is all the more disconcerting as we do not get any feedback whatsoever either directly from the car or from Tesla service as to why these events occurred.

I'm happy to beta test all day long, but in return I need access to the logs. I need to be able to understand why the system behaved the way it did. Being at the mercy of a blackbox is not acceptable. And I don't do alpha testing, which is what TACC at this stage really is.

At this point I can't use TACC when my wife is in the car as she has a neck injury and sudden decelerations of the phantom braking kind will send her into a week of severe neck pain. My reasons for buying a current gen HW3 Tesla were 80% for the autopilot and 20% for the electric drive. I have not received 80% of what I thought I put $200k into, and that was based on my HW1 experience, which I have driven for several 1000km prior to purchase. We've all been subjected to a massive downgrade and frankly inadequate engineering.

Yes. Especially the downgrade in charging speed at superchargers for early cars like mine. Done with a software “upgrade” but absolutely no warning and nothing in the “upgrade” notes about it either. It was far from an insignificant change! Totally sneaky. Even to the present with the latest version of software installed, it does NOT estimate my charge time correctly let alone accurately. It is usually around 15 to 30 mins too optimistic about when charging will complete. Given that we are charged for idle time at the supercharger, that, at least, should be corrected. I am not an IT person but how hard can it be to change our algorithm?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Well we drove from Yass to Jugiong for lunch and back on the Hume "M"31 today. Since our last trip on this stretch NoA has changed. Now where there are intersections with driveways and local roads NoA switches off just before and restarts just after. There are places where there are quite a lot of these and the bing bong sounds as NoA switches on and off became quite annoying. Left NoA off for the return, just had autopilot running.
Also there were three instances of quite heavy phantom braking, two as we were passing trucks and one passing a car. No obvious reason for why these vehicles were singled out, they weren't creeping into our lane (even if they were the braking should be a lot less violent). The third instance was quite bad with a van behind us, we must have scared the crap out of them. Passed plenty of other trucks and cars without incident.
A while ago I thought the phantom braking problem had improved but has now gotten worse again.
In addition there was one one instance of the car wanting to veer into a truck rest area at 110KM/Hr, not pleasant.
Another problem (not sure if this is my car or a general problem) is sometimes when you are in the right lane the car cannot see the left lane and so won't let you change lanes with autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Well we drove from Yass to Jugiong for lunch and back on the Hume "M"31 today. Since our last trip on this stretch NoA has changed. Now where there are intersections with driveways and local roads NoA switches off just before and restarts just after. There are places where there are quite a lot of these and the bing bong sounds as NoA switches on and off became quite annoying. Left NoA off for the return, just had autopilot running.
Also there were three instances of quite heavy phantom braking, two as we were passing trucks and one passing a car. No obvious reason for why these vehicles were singled out, they weren't creeping into our lane (even if they were the braking should be a lot less violent). The third instance was quite bad with a van behind us, we must have scared the crap out of them. Passed plenty of other trucks and cars without incident.
A while ago I thought the phantom braking problem had improved but has now gotten worse again.
In addition there was one one instance of the car wanting to veer into a truck rest area at 110KM/Hr, not pleasant.
Another problem (not sure if this is my car or a general problem) is sometimes when you are in the right lane the car cannot see the left lane and so won't let you change lanes with autopilot.
Which software version are you running?

All these Autopilot/TACC war stories are freaking me out a bit. I had a few phantom braking events in the first month of ownership though thankfully not bad ones, and they have since gone away, but the ‘surprise’ they caused was quite unsettling.

I did set my “forward collision warning” setting to “Medium” rather than “Early” after a couple of months and I wonder if that helped. Although that setting does not, according to the manual, determine the application of any braking, you have to wonder with Tesla’s complex software whether there is some interrelationship.

So according to Teslafi, a SR+ in NSW was downgraded from 2020.24.6.1 back to 20.20.12 this morning. Why would this happen?
Aftert the voice ‘upgrade’ debacle last year, multiple senior people at tesla assured me that a software downgrade back to the functioning (and still better) version wasn’t possible. I hope they wern’t lying.

• Disagree
Reactions: Didaho
Aftert the voice ‘upgrade’ debacle last year, multiple senior people at tesla assured me that a software downgrade back to the functioning (and still better) version wasn’t possible. I hope they wern’t lying.

Here's another one, this time an S in Texas:

upload_2020-6-29_14-3-40.png

It would be a full package move to the older version..not just the voice component that worked..for that would have to repackage onto a new release branch.. They could, however move a car back to the a previous existing package E.g. v9 if required.