Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a few random very brief phantom braking events with TACC on.

I was driving to Brisbane yesterday on the M1 and had a very hard phantom braking event that I couldn't even guess what it was for. It was cloudy at that moment, so there were no shadows, nothing overhead either. It was so bad that it woke my wife up. Luckily there was no one behind me.

A very minor change I noticed is that the icon for sentry mode is only active when stationary and the recording icon is only active when driving. I thought my hard drive had been disconnected when I got in the car! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I was driving to Brisbane yesterday on the M1 and had a very hard phantom braking event that I couldn't even guess what it was for. It was cloudy at that moment, so there were no shadows, nothing overhead either. It was so bad that it woke my wife up. Luckily there was no one behind me.

A very minor change I noticed is that the icon for sentry mode is only active when stationary and the recording icon is only active when driving. I thought my hard drive had been disconnected when I got in the car! :)
I dont understand why Tesla Australia arent concerned about their liability with phantom braking. Its been going on for a very long time

The phantom braking is a real problem for comfort and in crowded traffic a bit dangerous
Agreed, which is why I very rarely turn TACC on, and never when driving within the metro area.

With TACC off, I haven't had a phantom braking event this year from memory. I had a small number within the first month or two of ownership (even on suburban streets driving at 40 km/h for crying out loud) but none since, much to my relief.

Because I suspect.
1. The Tesla driver has agreed that Autopilot is a driver aid, and must remain in control, and
2. Any following driver should be leaving sufficient distance to be able to brake
Hands on the wheel at all times is the beta requirment. We cannot control phantom braking.
If you rapidly brake for no reason causing a collision, I suspect you will recieve a significant portion of the insurance blame and a nice police fine/points loss to go with it, not to mention no car for a few months, if its not written off.

Agreed, which is why I very rarely turn TACC on, and never when driving within the metro area.

With TACC off, I haven't had a phantom braking event this year from memory. I had a small number within the first month or two of ownership (even on suburban streets driving at 40 km/h for crying out loud) but none since, much to my relief.

I don't typically use TACC <60 so can't say much about that but whenever I have someone close on my tail or a car in front is turning from any lane, I have a toe resting on the go pedal. I don't recall an actual braking event without TACC on - just some unhappy beeps. I think I'm as worried about being rear ended as Tesla inheriting Volvo's historic mantle.

2020.36 is worse than a disappointment for me. It has essentially killed voice control, in both cars. Most of the time I get a message that says “Connection failed. Try again”. Or just nothing.

And, Spotify/ other data performance is very spotty. Nav too - I am regularly offered offline search when I have 4 bars of 3G connectivity. (I had noticed in the last few updates that Nav solution were taking much longer to calculate. But it is really crippled now.)

I have rebooted several times, to no avail. Again, most of these issues are across my Model S and X. Sigh...

Lastly, my MS is a AP2.0, HW1 car with FSD. I still have none of the traffic light recognition etc that I see on the M3’s... is anyone getting it in their MS/ Xs in Aus?

Tks

JD

I think Tesla cares a lot about phantom braking. However, there is a reason that phantom braking is a problem on all cars with automatic emergency braking. The degree to which it is an issue depends on how much you want AEB to work in real cases. You can minimize phantom braking a lot if you are willing to inject real cases where AEB won’t work properly. According to Consumer Reports, they see phantom braking decreasing across many brands but still being an issue. Saying Tesla doesn’t care implies the problem is easy to fix.

Reactions: Hairyman
I think Tesla cares a lot about phantom braking. However, there is a reason that phantom braking is a problem on all cars with automatic emergency braking. The degree to which it is an issue depends on how much you want AEB to work in real cases. You can minimize phantom braking a lot if you are willing to inject real cases where AEB won’t work properly. According to Consumer Reports, they see phantom braking decreasing across many brands but still being an issue. Saying Tesla doesn’t care implies the problem is easy to fix.
It is a good point. There is no failsafe option. When you want it to act, you really want it to act. When you don’t want it to act, you really don’t want it to act.
It is a very difficult thing to design a system that will have false positives and false negatives and also lacks a default preference.

bug report doesn't do anything other than set a mark in the internal log (as per communication I had with Tesla tech support). They can only see that last few days in the log, so unless you report it immediately via the app (you have to lodge a service request and describe the problem), saying "bug report" in various accents won't do any good unfortunately...

Reactions: ARMARM