Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.40.3 installed yesterday on Model 3.
Speed sign recognition working with mixed results.
It identified a transition from 60 to 50 correctly with the sign animated on the screen as I drove past.
Later in a 60 zone it switched to 40 when I passed a bus. It had reacted to the signage on the back of the bus.
upload_2020-10-9_14-54-15.jpeg

I'm at quite a loss with the new camera based speed limits. They don't really work. Or they really don't work. It's always one of the two.

What's worse is there is no dash indication declaring the source of the currently applied speed limit. That makes it all but impossible to evaluate which part of the system is failing us. NN or faulty maps?

I drove through Lane Cove tunnel today, and it still showed a 40 limit near the exit travelling direction city, like it often does, thinking I'm not inside the tunnel but on a neighbourhood street above.

How hard can it possibly be to tell the machine that if there's no GPS signal and you were in a tunnel you almost certainly still are in the tunnel!

I drove through Lane Cove tunnel today, and it still showed a 40 limit near the exit travelling direction city, like it often does, thinking I'm not inside the tunnel but on a neighbourhood street above.

Speed sign recognition had been added for local roads in AU, but are yet to be added for highways in AU.

From release notes for AU:

Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads.

From release notes for US:

In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.

Hopefully we will see another update to add it for AU highways.

Speed sign recognition had been added for local roads in AU, but are yet to be added for highways in AU.

From release notes for AU:

Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads.

From release notes for US:

In addition to local roads, Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs to improve the accuracy of speed limit data for highways.

Hopefully we will see another update to add it for AU highways.
Might be a reason to have the car’s data sharing turned on - speed up the learning process

Well if the green light recognition is anything to go by, it still needs some more training for Australia. I look at the screen and either get the green light from the other side of the street going across or a green arrow, both seen as good to go. Probably a Aust traffic light on poles thing compared to the USA where most lights are overhead on the power lines.

Admittedly a drag mode where it does a full launch on green would be good to see working for drag events.

• Love
Reactions: Hairyman
I'm at quite a loss with the new camera based speed limits. They don't really work. Or they really don't work. It's always one of the two.
Is it possible to turn the visual recognition off and have it solely use the maps?

I generally find the maps speed limits to be fine, and only fail when in tunnels or in temporary speed limit areas (e.g. construction zones).

Another example of Tesla trying to fix something that wasn’t really broken?

I don't think the "AI" is that smart yet and I suspect it probably does nothing much in Aus. You would think if it is actually learning anything my regular drive along a marked road that widens the car would not dart from left to right trying to put itself in a lane when its simply not required. The correct steering position that the human easily comprehends is that no steering correction or movement is required at all.

Ooops, my bad, It just occurred to me ... the car doesn't actually comprehend anything :eek: