Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's frustrating for me having driven a US model 3 is navigate on autopilot in Australia requires a bump on the steering wheel to change lanes even though automatic lane change is enabled.

Is this purely an Australian nanny state requirement? The US model 3 software seems to automatically change lanes without any steering confirmation when we used it. As if you have it enabled, the turn signal comes on and the car just changes lanes.
Mine does not have that behaviour unless it hasn’t felt a bit of torque on the steering wheel for a while (the usual hands on check - I must say a capacitance check for hands on would be much nicer).

Reactions: jason66
I definitely have it on do not prompt for lane changes, but it still wants me to jiggle the wheel to confirm lane changes. The only time it doesn't prompt is when you are exiting, at that point it just takes over.

mine does this too. You’ll basically need to give the wheel a very slight twist before it’ll auto lane change. Not sure if it’s fully automated in the US

Reactions: Wol747
My other complaint is you can truly see the stupidity of other drivers at work, my car automatically brakes while on autopilot right before the speed cameras on eastlink in Melbourne from 102 to 90. This has happened to me in both our teslas while on autopilot, indicating it is centrally controlled.

So incredibly frustrating as it totally catches other drivers off guard.

There is no need to slow down 10 under when driving past a speed camera.

Wish the "neural net" wasn't so trained on this sort of stuff.

My other complaint is you can truly see the stupidity of other drivers at work, my car automatically brakes while on autopilot right before the speed cameras on eastlink in Melbourne from 102 to 90. This has happened to me in both our teslas while on autopilot, indicating it is centrally controlled.

So incredibly frustrating as it totally catches other drivers off guard.

There is no need to slow down 10 under when driving past a speed camera.

Wish the "neural net" wasn't so trained on this sort of stuff.
It brings back the quip about neural nets: “Look son, if you saw all your mates jump in a fire, would you jump in a fire?!” - NN “Yes!”

• Funny
Reactions: Wol747 and louco73
mine does this too. You’ll basically need to give the wheel a very slight twist before it’ll auto lane change. Not sure if it’s fully automated in the US

But it's another weird thing about the programming - 50% of the time I DON'T have to give the wheel a jerk. Makes it awkward because if you are waiting for a gap and wait for that fraction of a second to see if a twist is required that time it's too late. I'm not talking of squeezing into a tiny space either - it's surprising how quickly you have to think when driving normally.

But it's another weird thing about the programming - 50% of the time I DON'T have to give the wheel a jerk. Makes it awkward because if you are waiting for a gap and wait for that fraction of a second to see if a twist is required that time it's too late. I'm not talking of squeezing into a tiny space either - it's surprising how quickly you have to think when driving normally.

It is a worthwhile point about decision times. The car got me all the way from the Lane Cove Tunnel and across the Sydney Harbour Bridge with NoA but missed the turn off on the Western Distributor because the opportunity came and went too fast. Having said that I was pretty impressed with the way things have progressed.

Reactions: Wol747
Same here - sometimes the car requires a nudge on the wheel for lane changes when in AP Nav mode. But it's more like @Wol747 says, maybe 50% of the time. I rarely use nav mode when in traffic as it tends to not look ahead far enough, and with no traffic out in the sticks, it tends to make random lane changes for perceived highway entrances. Very annoying. I do use it when entering/leaving Melbourne though as it seems to work very well there most of the time - it misses less turns than I do. Don't know what it is, but I'm having a hard time matching the Tesla nav system indications with the real-world indications in Melbourne specifically. Or maybe it's just Melbourne. Except last time, leaving to drive back to Sydney in early Dec last year, it totally missed the M2 to M80 interchange with no traffic at all, 3 totally empty lanes, it kept driving in the middle lane past the turnoff and added a 10km detour by doing so. I saw it too late and gave it an earful. Not that it helped. But it made me feel better...

• Informative
Reactions: Wol747 and Hairyman
>>but I'm having a hard time matching the Tesla nav system indications with the real-world indications in Melbourne specifically.<<

From what I see on multiple FSD Beta videos the flickering multicoloured display of the car and its surroundings is a work in progress. The indications are so complex, there are so many colours representing different things (and they change as the scenario evolves) and the way the lines jump around may make sense to the computer but it's only distracting for the driver.
And you're right - a driver looks way ahead of the nearest cars; sees brake lights coming on hundreds of metres ahead, watches the lights change way ahead, sees cars waiting to turn out etc etc. My impression is that remarkable though the car is, it just isn't looking at many of the things that a competent driver sees.

>>but I'm having a hard time matching the Tesla nav system indications with the real-world indications in Melbourne specifically.<<

From what I see on multiple FSD Beta videos the flickering multicoloured display of the car and its surroundings is a work in progress. The indications are so complex, there are so many colours representing different things (and they change as the scenario evolves) and the way the lines jump around may make sense to the computer but it's only distracting for the driver.
And you're right - a driver looks way ahead of the nearest cars; sees brake lights coming on hundreds of metres ahead, watches the lights change way ahead, sees cars waiting to turn out etc etc. My impression is that remarkable though the car is, it just isn't looking at many of the things that a competent driver sees.

FSD Beta and NoAP are seemingly two entirely different "stacks". In the FSD beta videos that go onto the highway it engages regular NoAP (which appears to have no change). Its worth noting that in the FSD Beta videos on city streets, the car does appear to make lane changes far more confidently.

It'll be interesting how homogenised FSD "city streets" and NoAP become over time.

Reactions: Fazza
After a recent update, I have noticed on the Melbourne ring road, the car has started interpreting overhead variable speed signs as traffic lights. In certain light conditions, it will momentarily start to stop for them before realizing it's mistake, and accelerating back to speed. Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: Hungry Mile
After a recent update, I have noticed on the Melbourne ring road, the car has started interpreting overhead variable speed signs as traffic lights. In certain light conditions, it will momentarily start to stop for them before realizing it's mistake, and accelerating back to speed. Anyone else seeing this?

Same here. My guess is that they will fix it at some stage once FSD Beta is released in USA as this will need to be handled prior to FSD release in AUS.

20210110_105106.jpg
Screenshot_20210109-113102_Tesla.jpg

Cannot summons. I've been getting this ever since I upgraded to MCU2 - which also coincided the same day with 2020.48.30 update.

One of these must be responsible for this. anyone had similar, after one OR the other.

Cheers

View attachment 626467 View attachment 626468
Cannot summons. I've been getting this ever since I upgraded to MCU2 - which also coincided the same day with 2020.48.30 update.

One of these must be responsible for this. anyone had similar, after one OR the other.

Cheers
Try the "Summon" function instead.

(Sorry I originally had a smiley emoji which seemed to be stripped!)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Vegas