Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope my 2019 SR+ gets next update soon, im on 2021.24.5 and that one appears to have unstable driving visualizations. I get 2-3 times a day it sais the visualizations are not available and a strange jittering sound goes through spotify. After a bit it resets and works again. This started after it updated from 2021.24.4 to 2021.24.5, so a minor update, not sure what they fixed with it, but this seems to be a side effect.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but how is it fair that some people seem to get updates as soon as they are available but I am still several versions behind? Tesla service says that updates happen in batches so they don't overload the servers which is understandable but surely the people who are on old versions should get updates before those who are already several versions ahead get even more updates? They also say that it is totally random how the updates are allocated but I find it very suspicious that those people who have Tesla YouTube channels always seem to get the latest versions very soon after they are available.

I have a Model 3 Performance 2020 with FSD so nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but how is it fair that some people seem to get updates as soon as they are available but I am still several versions behind? Tesla service says that updates happen in batches so they don't overload the servers which is understandable but surely the people who are on old versions should get updates before those who are already several versions ahead get even more updates? They also say that it is totally random how the updates are allocated but I find it very suspicious that those people who have Tesla YouTube channels always seem to get the latest versions very soon after they are available.

I have a Model 3 Performance 2020 with FSD so nothing out of the ordinary.
I have no special Tesla information for you other than make sure your Software update Setting is set to Advanced and that when parked at home is connected to WiFi.

I have no special Tesla information for you other than make sure your Software update Setting is set to Advanced and that when parked at home is connected to WiFi.
as meloccom said, the only lever we have is the software update setting and setting that to Advanced will improve your chances of getting the update sooner. and the other important thing is to make sure the car spends some time connected to a reasonably stable wifi connection. The rest of the advice all has limited mileage.
I sometimes reboot the car but havent seen that make a specific update appear faster. Though posting here yesterday about it, this morning the update showed up, so who knows maybe shouting about it on internet does make updates move faster :)

• Funny
Reactions: OzVic
32.10 installed. activated the auto audio thingymadoobie, now I can hear a high pitched hiss when music fades in or out 'cos it ups the high frequency EQ so much. Hahahaha. Just when I thought I couldn't think of anything moronic and unnecessary for them to spend their time on, they do. Yet the list of simple software changes to make the driving experience better I've sent them a year ago remains unresolved.

I'm sure this gets asked all the time but how is it fair that some people seem to get updates as soon as they are available but I am still several versions behind?
As others have said, the only lever we have is the software update setting in the UI. You might read superstitions like hitting the “advanced“ button five times in succession will force an update, but that sounds urban-myth-like to me.

For mine, I have it set to “standard” and often wait many weeks, and occasionally months (during which multiple updates are downloaded replacing un-installed previous updates), before deciding to install an update.

The reason is to let others be the Beta testers and to skip versions that are dumpster fires.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to have that setting set to “advanced” 🤷‍♂️ but each to their own, some people are thrill-seekers.

Reactions: AussieOwner
Now looking at the release notes, the wording is a bit confusing about the cabin camera:
"Camera images do not leave the vehicle itself, which means the system cannot save or transmit information unless you enable data sharing."
It states that camera images do not leave the vehicle. That part should be clear. now the next part that tries to explain it kind of creates confusion and casts a suspicion on the first part as it brings up the data sharing setting that allows car to send information to Tesla or not.
Now if the camera images do not leave the vehicle, why bring that data sharing up? Unless they do leave the vehicle if they are not blocked by that data sharing disabled option, then they cannot because that option does not let them?

Yeah I've done both of those things.
If a new version introduces a bug, they will roll out a slightly newer version with a fix for the bug to the cars with the buggy version. People that never got it also never got the bug.
That makes sense, I'm referring to major updates not just .1 or .2 bugfix updates.
as meloccom said, the only lever we have is the software update setting and setting that to Advanced will improve your chances of getting the update sooner. and the other important thing is to make sure the car spends some time connected to a reasonably stable wifi connection. The rest of the advice all has limited mileage.
I sometimes reboot the car but havent seen that make a specific update appear faster. Though posting here yesterday about it, this morning the update showed up, so who knows maybe shouting about it on internet does make updates move faster :)
I don't think you are too far off the mark to be honest. I'm certain people at Tesla are aware of the Tesla YouTube channels because they always seem to have the very latest updates available to review. Whether or not they also read through forum posts though is a bit of a stretch but as they don't have any way to contact them other than the service department for owners to voice concerns or make complaints (unless you call tweeting Elon Musk a valid way of contacting them) then all anyone can do is to "shout about it on the internet" and hope it somehow makes its way to someone who might care enough to do something about it.
As others have said, the only lever we have is the software update setting in the UI. You might read superstitions like hitting the “advanced“ button five times in succession will force an update, but that sounds urban-myth-like to me.

For mine, I have it set to “standard” and often wait many weeks, and occasionally months (during which multiple updates are downloaded replacing un-installed previous updates), before deciding to install an update.

The reason is to let others be the Beta testers and to skip versions that are dumpster fires.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to have that setting set to “advanced” 🤷‍♂️ but each to their own, some people are thrill-seekers.
I hardly think wanting to be able to use new features that hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are already using qualifies as being a "thrill-seeker" - besides which if you have FSD then you are already paying to be a beta-tester.

Now looking at the release notes, the wording is a bit confusing about the cabin camera:
"Camera images do not leave the vehicle itself, which means the system cannot save or transmit information unless you enable data sharing."
It states that camera images do not leave the vehicle. That part should be clear. now the next part that tries to explain it kind of creates confusion and casts a suspicion on the first part as it brings up the data sharing setting that allows car to send information to Tesla or not.
Now if the camera images do not leave the vehicle, why bring that data sharing up? Unless they do leave the vehicle if they are not blocked by that data sharing disabled option, then they cannot because that option does not let them?

The way I read the statement is, by default the cabin camera images do not leave the vehicle. However, if you enable data sharing, then images from the cabin camera can leave the car (I suspect to Tesla and their partners).

Looking at page 196 in the owners manual:
"For quality assurance and to support the continuous improvement of advanced features such as Autopilot, your Model 3 may collect analytics, road segment, diagnostic, and vehicle usage data and send to Tesla for analysis. This analysis helps Tesla improve products and services by learning from the experience of billions of miles that Tesla vehicles have driven. Although Tesla shares this data with partners that contribute similar data, the collected information does not identify you personally and can be sent to Tesla only with your explicit consent. In order to protect your privacy, personal information is either not logged at all, is subject to privacy preserving techniques, or is removed from any reports before being sent to Tesla. You have control over what data you share by touching Controls > Safety & Security > Data Sharing."

Wonder how this all works to ensure you can not be identified personally?