Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tested this today, and I can confirm that the UMC supplied in 2019 does work at 10A / 15A with the new tails (part numbers 1463091-10-C and 1463068-10-C) and the firmware update.
Had the update already been pushed, or did the new tails trigger a request?

So long as you have the correct part number for the new tail, that's not your problem (and I assume they have different numbers)

Had the update already been pushed, or did the new tails trigger a request?
The update is pushed if the car has it available, the tail connected to the UMC doesn't matter.

The conditions for the update are: UMC connected to power and car; UMC idle (car not charging / drawing from UMC to run climate etc); car locked. Once those conditions are satisfied, it'll start within a minute or so. The car will make some unusual contactor opening/closing noises, and the "T" on the UMC will start flashing by itself as the update is delivered. The UMC will then restart and the car will make some more contactor clunks.

If you open the car while it's updating, you'll see a message on the screen telling you it's updating the charger and that the update will be interrupted if you disconnect the charging cable.

HPWC updates can happen in the same way, but I've never seen one of those.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
The update is pushed if the car has it available, the tail connected to the UMC doesn't matter.

The conditions for the update are: UMC connected to power and car; UMC idle (car not charging / drawing from UMC to run climate etc); car locked. Once those conditions are satisfied, it'll start within a minute or so. The car will make some unusual contactor opening/closing noises, and the "T" on the UMC will start flashing by itself as the update is delivered. The UMC will then restart and the car will make some more contactor clunks.

If you open the car while it's updating, you'll see a message on the screen telling you it's updating the charger and that the update will be interrupted if you disconnect the charging cable.

HPWC updates can happen in the same way, but I've never seen one of those.
I did not know that the car needs to be locked. My car is never locked when its in my garage (it is set to auto lock everywhere except home) and I have used both the HPWC and UMC in my garage to charge it plenty of time leaving the car connected overnight after charging, so its possible those are still on their original firmware they came with.
Is there a way to check/see the firmware level of the charger?

Now I mentioned earlier here that 2021.32.10 update broke the auto steering low resistance release when indicator was on, well the update 2021.32.21 appears to have fixed it for me. I did an hour drive today on 2021.32.21 and the auto steering was happy to let go without resistance if I had the indicator on again :)

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I received my 2021 Model 3 SR+ last week and the software version 2021.32.21 was updated overnight automatically. I have to admit I did not notice any differences.
These bug fix releases gradually improve things that are not really noticeable for each release. For example, early on I would have many times that the car would not unlock when I walked up to it in the morning after overnight deep sleep. Now it never fails to unlock properly and promptly. Same with the charge connector - it always releases when I press the button now. Used to be very hit and miss. So Telsa seems to always be improving things in the background, mostly with the core functioning of the car.

Having said that, using two phones with different driver profiles NEVER works for us. My phone never gets chosen when we walk up to the car. We now just manually choose driver profiles based on who is driving. So a lot of things seem to never get fixed.

Reactions: Leeroy
These bug fix releases gradually improve things that are not really noticeable for each release. For example, early on I would have many times that the car would not unlock when I walked up to it in the morning after overnight deep sleep. Now it never fails to unlock properly and promptly. Same with the charge connector - it always releases when I press the button now. Used to be very hit and miss. So Telsa seems to always be improving things in the background, mostly with the core functioning of the car.

Having said that, using two phones with different driver profiles NEVER works for us. My phone never gets chosen when we walk up to the car. We now just manually choose driver profiles based on who is driving. So a lot of things seem to never get fixed.
I think the driver profile detection has been changed. It used to be a bit hit and miss for selecting who is the driver, but now seems to allways choose the last driver regardless of who actually unlocks the car.

On the whole the changes are pretty minimal.

You really only notice clear new features like new games. Or the wider navigation bar.

At some point soon we will probably switch to the refresh which will likely look visually different (probably more like the new S config with some coloured icons, and simpler menus)

Most updated are small, but sometimes you get more. Over 2 years i have seen updates that change the UI considerably, add more games and apps and even one that tweaked the motor to give a few more KW output increasing the car acceleration.
Then there are plenty of updates that break a few features and then ones that fix them again. However overall the software seems to gradually improve, so every now and then it takes a step back and then again 2 steps forward. The Auto steering and adaptive cruise has gotten much more stable and confident compared to what it was 2 years ago.

Reactions: moa999
I think it’s a software cycle in general, particularly with things heavily reliant on computers as most things are becoming.

I’ve been flying Airbus jets for about 15 years and in that time there has been some bizarre or obscure failure somewhere in the world which is usually fixed with a software tweak quickly. Then a few months later a list of ‘temporary misbehaviors’ gets released which is the result of the first fix. That then takes months or even years to resolve.

I think tesla can get some pretty harsh criticism with their updates. Making a computer compete with a brain is a pretty tough feat IMO!

Reactions: ARMARM and Flatbat
Most updated are small, but sometimes you get more. Over 2 years i have seen updates that change the UI considerably, add more games and apps and even one that tweaked the motor to give a few more KW output increasing the car acceleration.
Then there are plenty of updates that break a few features and then ones that fix them again. However overall the software seems to gradually improve, so every now and then it takes a step back and then again 2 steps forward. The Auto steering and adaptive cruise has gotten much more stable and confident compared to what it was 2 years ago.
The autopilot is not yet as stable as the final version used by mobileye in version 1 cars. Tesla’s first in house version was awful and released years too soon. Even tesla admitted at the time that it was a big step,backward. Sure they’ve improved from that very low point, but its only starting to get to the point that they should have stopped using mobileye due to parity. I’m referencing autopilot only.
Another example is the the voice recognition. Sure making your own is commendable, but before you ditch your supplier get your own working first. Its still not as the very reliable original.

I had an odd problem this morning. My car and app both reported that a software update was pending, but I needed to connect to wifi to download it. The car was in the garage at home and is always connected to the home wifi. I got in the car and tried to re0connect but the message that came up was the "wifi will be reconnected after you go for a drive" ??????. So I backed the car down the driveway and then back into the garage, the wifi reconnected and software downloaded!!.

I had an odd problem this morning. My car and app both reported that a software update was pending, but I needed to connect to wifi to download it. The car was in the garage at home and is always connected to the home wifi. I got in the car and tried to re0connect but the message that came up was the "wifi will be reconnected after you go for a drive" ??????. So I backed the car down the driveway and then back into the garage, the wifi reconnected and software downloaded!!.
Sounds like another new bug fix coming up