Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter in Country NSW is on the waitlist for Starlink and cannot wait. I have found a number of mobile apps refuse to work properly on her Skymuster due to the high latency. Maybe this also affects your car's ability to get updates (the latency)? One thing for sure- Starlink at >211Mbps plus low latency will get your downloads into the car in minimum time!

Along with 0.4% of Model 3s, My Non FSD is sitting thirteen versions back on 2021.12.25.7. 61 days since my last update! Of course I have advanced turned on and had what I considered to be an average Skymuster WiFi internet connection. Not overly fussed, but I do wonder it Tesla have reasons to keep a handful of cars on legacy builds for reference use of some sort.

Today Elon has provided me with new set of wheels and souped up my internet to Starlink. Car is now seeing 211Mbps when parked in the shed. Will be interesting to see if this jolts it into a firmware update.

View attachment 719422
Have you driven to the Richmond SC, ensured you’re checked in to the SC WiFi and toggle advanced to standard and then back to advanced?

Wait a while, charge up and you may get lucky…works for me every time….

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
My daughter in Country NSW is on the waitlist for Starlink and cannot wait. I have found a number of mobile apps refuse to work properly on her Skymuster due to the high latency. Maybe this also affects your car's ability to get updates (the latency)? One thing for sure- Starlink at >211Mbps plus low latency will get your downloads into the car in minimum time!
Quite so - Skymuster comes with all sort of weirdness. VPN sometimes fail to work until I switch across to 4G. Some online stores like Office works would not connect properly using Skymuster. Whenever I see connection weirdness switching away Skymuster usually fixes it. But on the other hand my car has seen other good strength wifi networks in the interim. Your daughter is going to love Starlink though.

Along with 0.4% of Model 3s, My Non FSD is sitting thirteen versions back on 2021.12.25.7. 61 days since my last update! Of course I have advanced turned on and had what I considered to be an average Skymuster WiFi internet connection. Not overly fussed, but I do wonder it Tesla have reasons to keep a handful of cars on legacy builds for reference use of some sort.

Today Elon has provided me with new set of wheels and souped up my internet to Starlink. Car is now seeing 211Mbps when parked in the shed. Will be interesting to see if this jolts it into a firmware update.

Received Starlink Beta last week and went from Telstra Slowpond @ 32Mbs to Starlink consistently 200-250mbs and the best test so far being 339.66mbs. Quite amazing really. It is interesting that it seems they will put limits on the number of Starlink installs Elon said in a tweet yesterday " Starlink is designed for low to medium population density, which means we can hit max users in some areas fast........please sign up early to ensure a spot... "

Last edited:
Received Starlink Beta last week and went from Telstra Slowpond @ 32Mbs to Starlink consistently 200-250mbs and the best test so far being 339.66mbs. Quite amazing really. It is interesting that it seems they will put limits on the number of Starlink installs Elon said in a tweet yesterday " Starlink is designed for low to medium population density, which means we can hit max users in some areas fast........please sign up early to ensure a spot... "
I can get superloop 500mbps in my residential suburb on old foxtel cable and its soon to be 1000mbps as more fibre rolls out. Currently use 100mbps with no real gain from more speed. Good thing about superloop is 100mbps means 100mpbs not some lower number.
But I can see the gain from starlink for those in poorly covered internet areas.

I can get superloop 500mbps in my residential suburb on old foxtel cable and its soon to be 1000mbps as more fibre rolls out. Currently use 100mbps with no real gain from more speed. Good thing about superloop is 100mbps means 100mpbs not some lower number.
But I can see the gain from starlink for those in poorly covered internet areas.
Nice you're well covered.
One of my main reasons for getting it was an increase in speed at home and when traveling remote around Aus and the always crazy data congestion and slow speed you get with Telstra in many holiday locations.

Nice you're well covered.
One of my main reasons for getting it was an increase in speed at home and when traveling remote around Aus and the always crazy data congestion and slow speed you get with Telstra in many holiday locations.
Telstra are one of the worst nbn providers out there. Superloop have their own direct nbn POI connections so can control the speed for the number of users. I think they are well covered across the country with connection to all of the NBN POI’s, and only have local call centres in the rare event of a problem. I really dont know why anyone uses telstra as a provider. They also provided wireless options as well, and are a public company on the asx.

Even on the joke that is NBN Fibre to the Node?
Mine comes in via old foxtel cable (i think its called hfc connection). Fibre nowhere near my house. My usual speed 24/7 is 103mbps. 500mbps is immediately available if I want it. 1000mbps is coming soon still on the old cable but more fibre is installed in the street. The nbn are unfairly criticised by the failings of the major retailers who sign up way too many houses for their nbn subscription.
I’m not going with the 500 simply because the data shows my household very rarely uses our full 100mbps speed. We enjoy the unlimited data though.

One of my main reasons for getting it was an increase in speed at home and when traveling remote around Aus and the always crazy data congestion and slow speed you get with Telstra in many holiday locations
You do realise that Starlink is supposed to be used at a fixed location, right? The allocation of satellite bandiwdth is based on your service being used where you said it would be.

I'm using mine at home for now as a Secondary Link.. However hoping they'll be able to be upgraded/migrated to Australia Wide Mobile eventually for Touring around.
Isnt the grand plan to use the starlink satelites to control cars to deliver autonomous driving? Hence mobility of the internet should come from starlink, presumably making the nbn worthless. Might be a while though.

Very unlikely.
LEO still needs line of sight and an accurately pointed dish. Not at all applicable to cars
From what they have said, they are looking at making an updated version of dish that can handle harsher conditions and be mounted on airplanes and ships, so mobility is not the issue but so far they have no plans to start using them on cars. considering how most cars are in very dense population areas with poor line of sight to the sky, they would be very poorly suited.

You do realise that Starlink is supposed to be used at a fixed location, right? The allocation of satellite bandiwdth is based on your service being used where you said it would be.
I don't think it will be an issue given the proportion of installations that will stay fixed. Plenty of people in the US have them on their Caravans & mobile homes etc.
Also, Tesla's model Pi phone is supposed to be Starlink capable as well. There will be plenty of phones moving all over the place. As more starlinks are put into orbit bandwidth and connectivity will continue to improve over time although it may be mitigated somewhat by additional users.

Last edited:
Starlink uses synthesised beams through phasing of array elements in a flat dish - it does this both in the ground and space segments. Perfectly suitable for moving targets such as cars and airplanes/drones (large ones, it's a sizeable array). Whether that is what their spectrum allocation license says they can do is an entirely different story.

Skymuster was always going to be a terrible solution for anything requiring low-ish latency. The geostationary orbit is ~35'000km up, so the signal travel time alone at light speed without any switching is taking about 250ms for the full trip.

In other (more related news) 2021.36 installed.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Starlink uses synthesised beams through phasing of array elements in a flat dish - it does this both in the ground and space segments. Perfectly suitable for moving targets such as cars and airplanes/drones (large ones, it's a sizeable array). Whether that is what their spectrum allocation license says they can do is an entirely different story.

Skymuster was always going to be a terrible solution for anything requiring low-ish latency. The geostationary orbit is ~35'000km up, so the signal travel time alone at light speed without any switching is taking about 250ms for the full trip.

In other (more related news) 2021.36 installed.

Latency is the killer with all these types of technologies..great for some situations but I am still going to go cable/fibre etc. whenever possible in a fixed location when available...my crappy NBN 250/25 HFC connection has a latency 5-10ms, no way I am something that is 10-20 higher latent for a home situation.