Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting. Especially considering the only way to do this is to spoof GNSS. There's no such thing as a GNSS repeater as the very nature of repeating a GNSS signal looks like a multipath error to the receiver - unless the signal is modified to introduce calculated TOA offsets, thus spoofing the system.
This is what the ‘repeater’ does, otherwise the emergency services would think your location is the tunnel entrance, and not some point inside the tunnel. Which would defeat the entire purpose of having these.

This is also why only authorised agencies with appropriately trained and accredited installers will be able to source and configure these devices. The scope for misuse by unauthorised people is considerable.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
This is also why only authorised agencies with appropriately trained and accredited installers will be able to source and configure these devices. The scope for misuse by unauthorised people is considerable.
It is in fact not very hard to spoof GNSS signals - even accessible to script kiddies these days. There's plenty of open source code available, here's a good starting point: GitHub - osqzss/gps-sdr-sim: Software-Defined GPS Signal Simulator

I can only imagine this works by segmenting the tunnel into small sections, each having a predefined offset signal "spoofed", calculated from the tunnel geometry, and the known reference GNSS receiver position. An interesting problem to solve for sure.

Reactions: moa999 and Hairyman
Yep, old one did work solidly. I love the new app, especially the charge rate adjustment BUT it does appear to have a few bugs.
Yesterday, after I got back to my car after a dive, I turned my phone back on and tried to go into the app but it kept crashing. There was nothing I could do to get it working. I was worried I wouldn't be able to drive the car without using the RFID key but despite the app not running it did actually let me drive. Half an hour the app started working.

I have had a few issues with the app since last update. When I am at home on the same wifi with my phone as the car is connected to, the app does not appear to want to connect with the car. If I turn off wifi on the phone, it uses LTE and connects fine. It connected fine before the last app update, so I suspect its the app side and not the car side, but now both have updated so could be either. Getting inside the car appears to fix this for some reason even though the connections dont change.

I have had a few issues with the app since last update. When I am at home on the same wifi with my phone as the car is connected to, the app does not appear to want to connect with the car. If I turn off wifi on the phone, it uses LTE and connects fine. It connected fine before the last app update, so I suspect its the app side and not the car side, but now both have updated so could be either. Getting inside the car appears to fix this for some reason even though the connections dont change.
I’m much happier with the tesla app after I found the new ios15 feature that allows text enlargements on individual apps (per app settings). I can now see the numbers again without making all the properly designed apps huge.

Last edited:

What if (random thought) your car is sleeping and when the app is on the same LAN as the car it tries to use Wake-on-LAN to wake the car - but this doesn’t work for whatever reason?

* Sitting in the car (while on the LAN) will have woken the car up when you opened the door so wouldn’t need WoL to work.
* On LTE I understand the app will send a SMS message to the car via the Tesla servers to wake it.

Sorry, this could be complete rubbish but seems a plausible explanation for what does vs doesn’t work. FWIW I have had very slow (but ultimately successful I think every time) waking of my car (2021 Model 3) via the app when the app and car are both on my home wifi, but quick/normal if the car and I are away from home. No issues anywhere when the car is awake. So not quite the same as your issue but not totally different either, and started happening recently.

Does the app ever connect directly to the car? It is my understanding that the car connects to the Tesla servers, the app connects to the Tesla servers, and the communications go via the servers.

Reactions: doggy1
@Ted H might be on to something about car sleeping and the wakeup signal not working when coming from same wifi network. I just did some tests. When I am at work, the phone and car both are connected to LTE and neither has wifi connections. When I left the car I tested and connected fine to it 10 minutes later. Tested again 4 hours later and the connection took a few more seconds, but connected fine. The car does not really go to sleep though as Sentry is on.
So when I arrive home with car, and open the app 10 minutes later, the app connects fine. When I wait for 4 hours and then try to connect again, it just keeps spinning and does not connect even sitting for 15 minutes and spinning there. Sentry is off at home, so car is asleep. When I go to car open the door and wait a moment for the screen to come on in the car, then the app connects in seconds, so must be some form of sleep function that the app does not wake the car from???

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Does the app ever connect directly to the car? It is my understanding that the car connects to the Tesla servers, the app connects to the Tesla servers, and the communications go via the servers.
That’s exactly how it works, having dived into the rabbit hole that is the Tesla API.

It works that way either over WiFi or Cellular (both ends).

Exactly - the app can communicate directly with car via BT. Internet connection is not required for the Tesla API to wake the car. It achieves this using a poke sms message.
But surely to receive an SMS message, the car has to be at least connected to a cellular tower. If it is connected to a cellular tower, then it should also have Internet connection (through that cellular connection).

It does once the modem comes out of paging mode. The Telit 4G modem sits in a low-power paging mode and wakes all systems when it receives a page from the network. (ie, wake or poke SMS). The connectivity card has a Wake input from the Intel Gordon Peak and a Ring output for waking the Gateway when an SMS is received.

Reactions: Maximillan