Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s just language setting on the car itself. British English brings up the bonnet/boot ‘normal’ English reverts 😂
Now the plot thickens. I just did a drive and in the car and when opening the Frunk it lists them as "Trunk" and "Frunk", however the app on the phone still says they are "Bonnet" and "Rear Boot". So definitely the app does not get it from car language settings as car shows them still with the names they were in the app a year ago.

So, found a very annoying thing with the new UI/Map interface. (Im still on 2021.44.30.7) If you have not set a destination and are just driving following the map, then after manually moving around on the map to find a point of interest, it no longer centers on the car. It has no icon/button to center on car or follow car. If you manually move the car back to the center of the map and keep driving, then soon the car is out of map view and you just keep looking at the same map area. The only way I found I could get the map to start following the car again was to set a destination - even a dummy one. I really hope that has been fixed in one of the newer fixes that are rolling out now.

So, found a very annoying thing with the new UI/Map interface. (Im still on 2021.44.30.7) If you have not set a destination and are just driving following the map, then after manually moving around on the map to find a point of interest, it no longer centers on the car. It has no icon/button to center on car or follow car.

Well I have deliberately not updated to the new UI (yet) but isn’t that behaviour the same as on the old (my current) UI? If I manually shift the map, to recentre back on the car and restore tracking, I tap on the compass icon on the upper left corner. Was there another way to do it? Is there a compass icon on the map in the new UI?

So, found a very annoying thing with the new UI/Map interface. (Im still on 2021.44.30.7) If you have not set a destination and are just driving following the map, then after manually moving around on the map to find a point of interest, it no longer centers on the car. It has no icon/button to center on car or follow car. If you manually move the car back to the center of the map and keep driving, then soon the car is out of map view and you just keep looking at the same map area. The only way I found I could get the map to start following the car again was to set a destination - even a dummy one. I really hope that has been fixed in one of the newer fixes that are rolling out now.
If you tap the screen a compass icon should show up next to the navigation search bar

Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
Well I have deliberately not updated to the new UI (yet) but isn’t that behaviour the same as on the old (my current) UI? If I manually shift the map, to recentre back on the car and restore tracking, I tap on the compass icon on the upper left corner. Was there another way to do it? Is there a compass icon on the map in the new UI?
Yes there is a compass icon and it does as it always has, but what is missing is zoom buttons. Previously if you used zoom buttons rather than fingers the map would stay centred and move with you. That feature now gone.

On the old UI I had the compass icon to tap, on the new one I could not locate it as it was not on the screen, so that's what made it really frustrating. I know they are trying to clean up the UI, but to me it seems they have gone too far with it. technerdx6000 mentioned that tapping the screen might bring back the compass icon. I did not see that but I did not intentionally tap it either, I touched it and dragged it and there was no compass icon anywhere so finally got it to follow car by searching a pizza place nearby and setting it as destination, then cancelling destination.
If others still have the compass on the version 2021.44.30.7, might be a bug and need a reboot. I will give that a go.