Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's by choice.

I'm happy on the v10 UI, car performs well.
I just want to preface what I'm about to say with a sincere statement of "I understand where you are coming from and that choice is perfectly valid and in many way's sensible. Good on you.".

But for me the very idea that there is a newer version of the software out there that is not on my car just fills me with FOMO.
But I also install developer betas on my iPhone and MacBook and pretty much anything else where it is an option.
I like to live on the bleeding edge and I know that comes with problems and bugs and all sorts of things but I just can't help myself.
Anyway that's all. Each to their own and all options are valid but me? Couldn't do it in a pink fit. 🤪

Reactions: jason66
Each to their own and all options are valid but me? Couldn't do it in a pink fit. 🤪
I understand, and agree entirely with each to their own.

In 30+ years of working IT, one of the things that I'm most passionate about is a good UI. During my uni degree I remember an assignment which involved critiquing the instructions for programming a VCR, and I thoroughly enjoyed the assignment. That's part of the reason why I'm happy with sticking with the v10 UI.
In the early part of my career I had the importance of change control drilled into me, and got plenty of experience on what happens when new code was put into production with unintended consequences. That's the part which explains why I'm ok with not being on the bleeding edge.

The added bonus is that I get to be the regression tester for the community, that is the opportunity to verify whether a bug has been introduced in a recent release by seeing if I'm able to replicate the bug. A few weeks ago there was a discussion on Whirlpool about how a recent car software release had introduced a bug where you could no longer get the Tesla Wall Connector charging cable to unlock from the car by pressing the button on the cable. I could replicate the problem so I suggested that wasn't the cause, but people swore blind that nope, it had worked before for them so a recent release must have introduced the bug. Turns out that it was a known bug with a recent version of the Tesla Wall Connector software.

I will upgrade at some point, maybe when both Vostok and ZeeDockter have glowing things to say about a recent update.

I will upgrade at some point, maybe when both Vostok and ZeeDockter have glowing things to say about a recent update.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be giving glowing reviews of V11, but there are aspects of it that I like and aspects that need more thoughts &/or work. I think I waited long enough for the worst of V11 to be knocked into shape before installing.

The dock at the bottom has great potential provided Tesla provides more App/Function icons and lets users put more than 4 icons down there. I don’t like the trip meters and tyre pressures being buried. I often liked having the trip/odometer on display while driving. Now if you do that it takes over the whole nav screen with the “Trips” menu page. Ugh.

I don’t know if I’ll ever be giving glowing reviews of V11, but there are aspects of it that I like and aspects that need more thoughts &/or work. I think I waited long enough for the worst of V11 to be knocked into shape before installing.

The dock at the bottom has great potential provided Tesla provides more App/Function icons and lets users put more than 4 icons down there. I don’t like the trip meters and tyre pressures being buried. I often liked having the trip/odometer on display while driving. Now if you do that it takes over the whole nav screen with the “Trips” menu page. Ugh.
I’d prefer the dock at the top. When driving looking down to find a button whilst maintaining no road vision doesn’t seem well thought out, whilst across the top where you can still see the road are functions that you probably wont use whilst driving.

Reactions: Maximillan
I’d prefer the dock at the top. When driving looking down to find a button whilst maintaining no road vision doesn’t seem well thought out, whilst across the top where you can still see the road are functions that you probably wont use whilst driving.
And on the subject of distraction from the road, does anyone else find the position of the blind spot display dangerous? When changing lanes, the window appears on the screen at bottom right - just behind where I'm holding the wheel on the left. I literally have to move my head to look around my hand - can't just glance at it. The display would be better appearing at the top left of the screen IMHO.

Reactions: DOMn8 and Benzz
And on the subject of distraction from the road, does anyone else find the position of the blind spot display dangerous?
I wouldn't say dangerous.
Having it is better than not having it, and this is the first rendition.

Agree it would be better higher up, and also with a bright red border if it's detecting a car.

It's also more of a RHD problem because the indicator stalk is on the left.

And on the subject of distraction from the road, does anyone else find the position of the blind spot display dangerous? When changing lanes, the window appears on the screen at bottom right
I am pleased to have it. However the position is wrong. I have got used to raising my hand so I can see it as otherwise obscured. Should definitely be moved up for RHD cars.

Reactions: Benzz
It's by choice.

I'm happy on the v10 UI, car performs well.
So was I until the weekend when I was unfortunately forced to "upgrade" (?) as part of the windscreen replacement process (windscreen which Tesla service cracked during the last service appointment 😆). Something about pairing the new cameras.

Climate still sucks, but now in a brand new more sucky way. As @Vostock said, I want the car to cool above a certain temperature but never to heat - and hence I've been whinging for years on every "what feature do you want" thread for a "Heater off" button akin to the "AC off" button. Would sort it out. Or, a temperature target range rather than value would also work (I'd set mine to ["Lo", 22.5) or thereabouts, depending on current irradiation).

Does anyone find the 'blind spot camera view while indicating' useful? It seems like a lot of effort to look there when it's the opposite direction for any right turn and at night it's a flashing purple mess anyway.

Oh and which update is it that allows the windscreen-clear-climate mode (defog?) button to be added to the dock/taskbar? Can't seem to figure out how to do it on mine (2022.8.3). Ta.

Does anyone find the 'blind spot camera view while indicating' useful? It seems like a lot of effort to look there when it's the opposite direction for any right turn and at night it's a flashing purple mess anyway.

Initially I thought it was pretty cool but, yeah, it doesn’t really add value and at night it’s awful because the blinker light overwhelms it. It also partially obscures the virtual car graphics and (as I discovered yesterday) if you want to end a phone call while your blinker is on - you can’t!! The hangup button is obscured.

And on the subject of distraction from the road, does anyone else find the position of the blind spot display dangerous? When changing lanes, the window appears on the screen at bottom right - just behind where I'm holding the wheel on the left. I literally have to move my head to look around my hand - can't just glance at it. The display would be better appearing at the top left of the screen IMHO.
Absolutely correct! The display needs to be up the top of the screen, significantly larger and as suggested have a red surround or something that alerts you that there is a car there.
As it is currently it is safer to check rear view and look over your shoulder like the old days.

Reactions: Hairyman
Don’t ask me how, but somehow the software update was toggled to ‘advanced’. So this pre-final software was understandably glitchy (speed limit max flickering on and off, warnings about limited regeneration), and also my Homelink didn’t work.

When I discovered this (after troubleshooting my garage door wireless relay for ages) I un-toggled off the advanced, and the car and home,ink behaved normally (assuming back to the release software).

I can’t believe I’m doing this… but here are some the new features of 2022.12.3.5:
  • You can now add 5 App icons to the dock instead of 4, and there are new icons for defrost, wipers and seat heaters
  • Dog mode and Camp mode can be set from the App
70FCA760-2CCD-4156-B0C9-3BC62C5C6ABA.jpeg26A32A6E-B2F6-4035-991D-CBC3B039F3AA.jpegB2E05FE4-2FF9-470C-87CC-A081BD1CC430.jpeg

Mine is saying it has 2022.12.3.1 available to install. I'm currently on 2022.8.2.5 version and it seems way worse than the 2022.8.2 was before that. Will deploy 2022.12.3.1 when I get home after work. I could swear that the previously semi useful auto wipers have been progressively getting worse with each update this year as well as the randomly dropping set speed on motorway. Hope this update will change that trend and they start improving.

Anyone else on 2022.12.3.1 get an alert "APP_w009 Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled"? The usual stuff didn't clear it, but it did self clear after a couple drives.

Telsa service says it's likely firmware related and is pushing a later release out to my car (presumably 2022.12.3.5).