Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You probably right, my bad
Dyslexia kicked in
Probably should have said why the same release notes between 1.2 and 2
Maybe 16.2 is a hotfix

Regen warning came up again even though warm outside
Will try a reboot
Decent release notes is not a tesla strength. You could see the release note repeated for multiple updates. Presume tesla think that is better to the previous approach, which was blank release notes.

A heads up for anyone that finds that TACC, Autopilot, driving visualization and Automatic Emergency Breaking are not available for no apparent reason. It happened to me a few times a couple of months ago. After the car was left alone, typically overnight, everything was normal. Last weekend it happened again with my wife in the car, so I got her to take a photo of the screen and surrounding area to show the issue. I logged a service request and Tesla confirmed that this is a known firmware issue that needs to be addressed with an update. Resetting the car via the 2 scroll wheels on the steering wheel doesn't fix the issue.
tesla_TACC_unavailable.jpg
Separate issue today, on 16.2. I had Autopilot disengage for no apparent reason. Red steering wheel and pedals displayed on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
A heads up for anyone that finds that TACC, Autopilot, driving visualization and Automatic Emergency Breaking are not available for no apparent reason. It happened to me a few times a couple of months ago. After the car was left alone, typically overnight, everything was normal. Last weekend it happened again with my wife in the car, so I got her to take a photo of the screen and surrounding area to show the issue. I logged a service request and Tesla confirmed that this is a known firmware issue that needs to be addressed with an update. Resetting the car via the 2 scroll wheels on the steering wheel doesn't fix the issue.
I had that same issue consistently on the 2022.12.3.2 firmware for over 6 weeks pretty much 80% of the days it came up. I did the reboots multiple times a day for the first 3-4 weeks and then gave up as they did not help. I figured it was firmware related as it started the day after that firmware installed. It seems to have gone though since the 2022.16.1.2 firmware. I haven't had the 2022.16.2 long enough to comment if it has that issue also or not.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Regarding 2022.16.2, I've just been able to give it a long run.

780km from Northern Beaches Sydney (sea level) to Canberra (650 metres) then about 90km around town and return. 3 people. Key things were:

1. Sydney to Canberra 332.2km 79% battery used (estimated 81%) from 100% start. 58.4kwhrs, strong headwinds. 176wh/km. Climate on all the way and speed limit all +1, mainly 110km/hr.

2. Return COLD (-4deg external, cabin -2deg) start. Climate C. heating all the way. About 160km with external temperature at 4degC or below. 64% battery used (estimate was 65%). 321.1km 47.7kwhrs, neutral wind. 148.6whrs/km. All at speed limit+1 (=real speed) and one 1500metre length of 40 km/hr roadwork.

3. Phantom Braking. None experienced. Once while overtaking, there was Armaguard fence on my right and the car (on TACC but not AP) tried to steer me away from it and into the adjacent lane. I was able to forcibly prevent this- fortunately!

4. Auto Pilot was the best yet. Used much of the time on the freeway and no issues at all. Also TACC was almost flawless and I had it on nearly all the time.

5. Navigation taking account of winds et al. The navigation battery estimates were excellent. Within 1 percentage point in one direction and 2 percentage points in the other.

6. Recognition of roadwork speed limits was very bad, whereas previously there has been a mix of accurately detected and incorrectly detected signs, this time there were no errors but there were heaps of signs missed. The missed signs were very clear but they were low to the ground and maybe the car (with 2022.16.2) does not respond well to signs close to the ground.

7. First time with the car in cold weather. Two days of frosts. This morning, outside -4deg and inside car cabin -2deg. Car completely iced up. Defrost setting worked brilliantly in about 10mins (used about 8kW for that time with 50% from EVSE and 50% from battery). Brilliant compared with daughter-in-law's ICE car (Holden Stn wgn) defrosting at the same time (a lot longer and very wasteful of fuel and not wonderfully successful).

I can add to this experience from part of a trip from Sydney to Thredbo and back (1004km) in my Model S with 2022.16.2, all driven at speed limit.

Sydney to Cooma Supercharger: 404km, started at 100% GUI SOC (99.6% BMS internal SOC) arrival at 0% GUI SOC (5.5% BMS internal SOC). Initial prediction was arrival SOC of 5%. This gradually increased to arrival SOC 13% over the first hour of the drive. I did have AC/heater on for 4 minutes every 30 minutes only to defog, otherwise off until it was clear I was going to make Cooma. This point was at about 100km out from Cooma, last hour of the drive. Not surprisingly, the arrival SOC prediction kept falling back to 0% during that time.

Outside temp was between 11C down to 3C. The initial arrival SOC prediction was impossible, based on the last hour of using heat bringing it down from 13% arrival SOC to 0%. Averaged 240 Wh/km on this drive with an altitude gain of 720m.

By contrast, Thredbo to Canberra Supercharger: 213km, 800m altitude loss, at 11C outside temp used 177 Wh/km with AC running normally. Arrival SOC was within a percent of what it predicted.

AP consistently misidentified far away truck tail lights as red traffic lights while on the motorway in the pitch dark. But yay, once close enough to make the call, it does draw different car types. Except for caravans. It doesn't know what to do with those. But that's ok, neither do I.

2022.20 starting roll out

For 3/Y main thing is green light chime (can be turned off) at traffic lights (from the FSD cars)... Maybe one day they might give us autopark as well like plenty of cheaper cars.

Also adding back predicted SoC at journey end is good (and seemingly undocumented)

We've had that chime on the "FSD" models since the beginning. Be careful as it sometimes triggers when right turn gets green (but you're going straight and it's still red). I almost kerplunked into an intersection once based on audio cues only...
I think there’s still a stack of stuff in Australia that’ll need to be ironed out before any ‘FSD’ actually exists. I have an added lane on the Mornington peninsular freeway that I use most days, and it’s a real car killer each and every time you go past it if you’re not ready.

Downloading 2022.16.3 now and wondered if the rumoured AppStore was anywhere closer to live. Search brought this up but is this new (can't log into it with my credentials)? mobile.tesla.com/appstore Not sure what else it could be for and the fact I'm not authorised is interesting. Would be nice if Google Assistant and Siri were installable options in the future so I can get real assistant help on long trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman