Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm still waiting on my Model 3 but am curious how the software updates work.
Does Australia lag behind significantly in terms of getting updates compared to North America?

To be honest, the software release cycle looks like a cluster f*** to me, I'm seeing a lot of inconsistencies about who gets an updates and when, there doesn't seem to be a clear standard.

Hey guys, I'm still waiting on my Model 3 but am curious how the software updates work.
Does Australia lag behind significantly in terms of getting updates compared to North America?

To be honest, the software release cycle looks like a cluster f*** to me, I'm seeing a lot of inconsistencies about who gets an updates and when, there doesn't seem to be a clear standard.
When looking at software updates and software versions, we do not lag at all behind, it is rather rare that they just push a specific update to US first. Now on the features side we do lag rather far behind and with some features we do not know if we will ever get them. For example US and EU got the feature to view sentry cameras remotely from phone app last year, Australia still does not have that. China gets plenty of features that are region specific and no other region gets those.

Reactions: sydneyguy
As above we get most things at the same time as the US.
FSD Beta being the biggest exception.
And then small exceptions that seem to be contract/ regulatory related like Disney+ and Live Sentry View.

China and Japan are somewhat different as they use different underlying maps so the provider has different features available.

From a programming perspective it makes sense for Tesla to have as few global branches as possible.
They do however seem to do A v B testing on small code sections from time to time.

In my view it rarely matters when you get an update - you’ll get it when you get it. And sometimes you’ll wish you actually didn’t get it (or install it).

The only time I really wanted a particular update was about 2 years ago when the DAB+ radio was activated. Although a later update adding the ability to view sentry and dashcam videos in the car was pretty good.

Updates to the Tesla App have generally been way more useful, such as adding the ability to remotely change the AC charging rate.

They're testing on the live fleet. The only way to get stochastically unbiased results is to randomly distribute the updates.

@moa999 in what way do you think live sentry view is affected by contractual/regulatory limitations? I don't understand why we don't have that. As much as I don't understand why they can't just keep filling the attached USB device with dashcam footage until a user set limit is filled. So dumb to limit the rolling footage to an hour.

@moa999 in what way do you think live sentry view is affected by contractual/regulatory limitations? I don't understand why we don't have that.
No real idea. Been a few rumours on FB. Could be any of the below or some combination.

One that Australian Privacy Laws may be more restrictive around CCTV than other countries.

Other claim that Telstra IoT contract may restrict what can be transmitted, or that the data limits are harsher/ more costly than in other places.
(And note that at A$10/mth for premium we are cheaper than other places)

It took at least 6 months to get out of the US to Canada and then UK/Europe.

-

As for the recording. I think it's basically that it's a bit of an afterthought. It was never designed as a dedicated dashcam, so doesn't have the features a 3rd party dashcam might have.

Compared to a modern dashcam the resolution is poor (2MP, although this will seemingly change soon). No included telematics (eg speed, GPS, date), no branding (most dashcams stamp their logo on footage), no filters to improve vision.
And ideally you'd have a dedicated low power chip, or be able to run the HW3 computer in a low power mode when parked.

Some of those could be easily fixed by a few developers, others a function of the hardware.

Last edited:
They're testing on the live fleet. The only way to get stochastically unbiased results is to randomly distribute the updates.
I could see that being the case if they would then opt to receive feedback from those people getting the updates. For most testing systems feedback is the most important part of the testing process as that is the only way to determine if it was successful or failure. However, they only look at the bug reports if you schedule a service and most people will not bother with that for most software bugs giving them only errors that the system causes in their servers, but none from the user experience side.

One that Australian Privacy Laws may be more restrictive around CCTV than other countries.

Other claim that Telstra IoT contract may restrict what can be transmitted, or that the data limits are harsher/ more costly than in other places.
(And note that at A$10/mth for premium we are cheaper than other places)

It took at least 6 months to get out of the US to Canada and then UK/Europe.
Australian privacy laws restrict CCTV for businesses but don't restrict it for private people, also if your car is allowed to record using sentinel and dashcam feature then being able to view it in car or from your phone app, does not affect the privacy.
As their contract allows streaming Netflix and YouTube as well as anything you feel like on the browser and maps, then a short burst of sentry will not cause much extra traffic compared to those.

I suspect its more of a case that Australia is a small market for them, more of an afterthought so they could not be bothered to get this done for us. Same as the Tesla tow ball for Model 3, was released in US and EU before first Model 3 cars delivered to Australia and initially sales staff here said it would be available for after sales installation within a few months. Now 3 years later, still nothing even though the car type certification for Model 3 in Australia is rated to tow depending on the model between 500kg and 1000kg.

As for the recording. I think it's basically that it's a bit of an afterthought. It was never designed as a dedicated dashcam, so doesn't have the features a 3rd party dashcam might have.

Compared to a modern dashcam the resolution is poor (2MP, although this will seemingly change soon). No included telematics (eg speed, GPS, date), no branding (most dashcams stamp their logo on footage), no filters to improve vision.
And ideally you'd have a dedicated low power chip, or be able to run the HW3 computer in a low power mode when parked.

Some of those could be easily fixed by a few developers, others a function of the hardware.
Some of these could definitely be fixed by a few developers, which is strange because Tesla is strong on the software front. It would be easy for Tesla to add telematics on the recording, or offer silent mode where the car doesn't draw attention to itself (i.e. no headlights flashing etc).

Some of these could definitely be fixed by a few developers, which is strange because Tesla is strong on the software front. It would be easy for Tesla to add telematics on the recording, or offer silent mode where the car doesn't draw attention to itself (i.e. no headlights flashing etc).
I would take issue with the idea that Tesla is”strong on the software front”!
leaving out the FSD side on which the jury is still out, there are so many parts of the software and UI that are not fit for purpose in today’s world especially bearing in mind we are talking about a safety environment. Update after update come along and although one or two “features” are occasionally improved - eg auto wipers but they are still better in manual - most seem to be like this last one: ability to change the colour of the car icon!
The whole infotainment structure is a kludge - just today I sat in my car underwhelmed at finding about the colour change update so switched on Netflix to see if my audio system was working again. Then spent five minutes trying to get it to switch off! There appears no “off” or “return” on Netflix - even pressing the brake pedal doesn’t bring up the PIN entry or the ability to select drive. The only way I could leave Netflix was to get oit and close the door.
if this sounds like a rant - it is. The IT industry is notorious for introducing something then moving on to the next “upgrade” and ignoring the fact that the last thing has defects and Tesla is no exception.

I would take issue with the idea that Tesla is”strong on the software front”!
leaving out the FSD side on which the jury is still out, there are so many parts of the software and UI that are not fit for purpose in today’s world especially bearing in mind we are talking about a safety environment. Update after update come along and although one or two “features” are occasionally improved - eg auto wipers but they are still better in manual - most seem to be like this last one: ability to change the colour of the car icon!
The whole infotainment structure is a kludge
Honestly I agree. Elon Musk himself claimed that "Tesla is as much a software company as it is a hardware company" but their UI experience is not up to the standard that I would expect from a 'software' company. I reckon they could placate a lot of critics by just providing a Carplay/Android Auto option on there and calling it a day.

- just today I sat in my car underwhelmed at finding about the colour change update so switched on Netflix to see if my audio system was working again. Then spent five minutes trying to get it to switch off! There appears no “off” or “return” on Netflix - even pressing the brake pedal doesn’t bring up the PIN entry or the ability to select drive. The only way I could leave Netflix was to get oit and close the door.
This caught me out too with a recent change, the "secret" is the top nav bar appears if you tap the very top (just above the Netflix app display area) and then you'll see the magical x to close the app.

Reactions: Wol747
Looking at other EV offerings and having now driven a lot of them, I’d say tesla is strong on the battery and motor and the software to make those efficient. In all other areas other manufacturers are already ahead. I’m comparing to my tesla S with autopilot.

Looking at other EV offerings and having now driven a lot of them, I’d say tesla is strong on the battery and motor and the software to make those efficient. In all other areas other manufacturers are already ahead. I’m comparing to my tesla S with autopilot.
I would actually give credit, where its due. They have been amazing at forcing all other car makers to actually start making electric cars. It was one of their main goals and they have achieved that by forcing all others into it, where 10 years ago most other car makers were making fun of them. And their superpower is making a reasonably good car at a price where demand outstrips their manufacturing capacity while making a rather large profit compared to all other car manufacturers. As a car, there are others that are more comfortable, or have longer range or even charge faster, but not at same price point or similar profit margins. Meaning customer wins on price and they win on profit margins.

Reactions: Hairyman
I agree with @paulp and @Priit . Tesla has dragged the rest of the industry into making EVs. The rest of the industry is now doing what they are very good at - making well finished cars that have a very familiar user interface.

There is plenty more shaking out do do. I’m looking forward to what will come. My next car is still likely to be another M3P, but I’m very attracted at being able to watch something being developed in front of me and trying to understand the design choices for myself.

The other designers are not as nimble, but as they turn around, a lot of momentum will follow.