Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed after 20.6 update, that speed limits not being picked up directly? Especially school zones?
Speed limits, especially timed school zones, have been pretty rubbish in suburban Melbourne since I've had the car (2019). I hear that LED speed signs are now recognised but haven't had the chance to test this. Would be good as it's always wrong approaching the West Gate from the city (car thinks 100, limit is actually 80). That's one of the few places where the car accelerates to 100 even though I engaged AP at 80: normally it won't go faster than the speed limit at the point at which you engaged AP (until you manually increase the set speed), but on that bit of road it erroneously tries to fang up to 100 at the end of the elevated section (westbound from southbank area).

Pretty funny on the "new" section at the northern end of the Frankston Freeway where it thinks you're driving cross-country and constantly routes you via the nearest not-connected residential street - despite the fact that the new section of road is shown on the in-car map. Clearly our in-car map and the nav' system use different map data.

Just updated to 2022.20.7. Just bug fixes. I haven't been out yet but will report if there is anything noticeable.
Just reporting back on this update. I reckon the forward collision warning has gotten way more sensitive. In a short drive today I had it go ballistic at me three times and even apply the auto emergency braking at one stage unnecessarily. In all three instances it was bumper to bumper traffic and slow speeds and certainly instances where it wouldn’t have gone off in the past.

Just reporting back on this update. I reckon the forward collision warning has gotten way more sensitive. In a short drive today I had it go ballistic at me three times and even apply the auto emergency braking at one stage unnecessarily. In all three instances it was bumper to bumper traffic and slow speeds and certainly instances where it wouldn’t have gone off in the past.
Did it change the warning timing to early from your previous setting? I have had the occasional setting change on some features occur with updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I just took 2022.20.6 on a round trip Sydney-Canberra+surrounds-return 700km trip. Observations:

1. AP (lane keeping) was great. Used much of the time.

2. TACC was good. However, one forward collision warning from dappled shade passing some trees.

3. Speed sign recognition seems to have become worse. I counted 8 roadwork speed signs for 60 and 40 on the Hume Highway (Southbound) and NONE was detected! Also one electronic 40 sign not seen. The only observation I would make is that all signs were low to the ground (not on poles). The car picked up several identical signs on poles on Mona Vale Road at the end of the trip.

4. I had green-light chime set but the car failed to pick up any of them. No big deal.

5. I had strong headwinds all the way Southbound and I suspect that the car Nav took this into account as estimates (which have always been good) were if anything even better this time.

6. Nothing to do with software, but for the first time I left the OEM Tesla roof bars on the car. I previously always removed them for long trips. I really could not notice any sound difference. Maybe consumption was affected a tiny amount but who knows? Return (downhill) efficiency was 132WH/km leaving in 1degC and heating on all the way. No chill mode and speed limit all the way. Happy with that!

I note that on a future SW release we are going to be able to move the Blind Spot camera display with three positioning options. That cannot come soon enough, but great that it IS coming.

Reactions: Hairyman
3. Speed sign recognition seems to have become worse. I counted 8 roadwork speed signs for 60 and 40 on the Hume Highway (Southbound) and NONE was detected! Also one electronic 40 sign not seen. The only observation I would make is that all signs were low to the ground (not on poles). The car picked up several identical signs on poles on Mona Vale Road at the end of the trip.
I believe the current version of speed sign recognition we have is deliberately not active on highways.

Reactions: Fazza
Source? Why do you think they would do this? It certainly behaved like that........ I shudder to think of being on FSD with this sort of stuff happening (or not happening).
I don't believe it ever has. Source being my own observations and feedback from others on this forum when I asked the same question a year ago when I first got my Model 3. In the full year of ownership it has never once recognised a speed sign on a highway. Around town, all the time. On a highway, never.

Edit: Just to claiify. It does change the posted speed on highways but it does it using the GPS road data, not visual recognition. This is why it doesn't read road work or other temporary speed signs on highways and also why if your GPS is playing up a bit will cut your speed down to 60 all of a sudden because the GPS thinks you are on a side road or ramp rather than on the highway. It's getting it from GPS road data.

Last edited:
Interesting. Mine was definitely picking up some 40 and 60 roadwork signs on the Hume on my previous trips down there (over the previous 10 months with earlier software versions). Also up and through the Blue Mountains, around Lithgow and Mudge/Rylstone area. I noted the deterioration in this post as it seems to have gone from detecting some/many to detecting none (for me) on this trip.

I am also getting more incorrect 40 detections (from 80 and 60 speed signs) around town.

Maybe the highway detections I had before were coming through the map data? Some of this stuff is rather mysterious.

Now downloading 2022.20.7 so another new one to check out. Unfortunately not yet 2022.24 which will allow moving the blind spot display.

Last edited:
2022.20.7 now installed. Just lists stuff from the past. However, coincidentally, there is info about auto sign recognition. Listed as "Not relevant to Aus"!

Attachments

• tesla_2022.20.7.png
    tesla_2022.20.7.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 54
Source? Why do you think they would do this? It certainly behaved like that........ I shudder to think of being on FSD with this sort of stuff happening (or not happening).
The Tesla release notes for 2020.40.3, which added speed sign recognition in Australia.

Note that the "Speed Assist Improvements" change, which adds recognition on highways, is "Not relevant in Austalia", and in contrast the other "Speed Assist Improvements" change which is "Available in Australia" specifically says on local roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: doggy1