Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 2022.20.8 cannot see any difference except that map now shows traffic with a thin red line
Not sure when that came in but wasn't there a few versions back
That feature has been with us for years. You maybe didnt turn it on in the map settings. But don’t be too concerned, I once showed a tesla owner that his car can steer itself. He had no idea….

A few observations after driving Sydney-Thredbo return today on 20.8:
- ALC into left lane is still aborting 30% of the time, esp. in the dark. And that is only taking those into account done on the "real" motorway.
- One blatantly obvious 100 km/h sign was missed (on a not-a-highway road). Borks AP as it limits to the speed limit it thinks there is.
- AP is doing a lot better on windy roads, slowing down to acceptable speeds before a turn.
- Couldn't test NoA because it refused to engage due to w269 error (degraded autopilot). No idea why. Car just came back from service yesterday where they diagnosed that there is nothing wrong with the left cameras.

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me why waze shows all the fixed speed cameras on on the display but doesn't announce them. Despite having that option set (and it does announce red light cameras).

On 2022.20.8 cannot see any difference except that map now shows traffic with a thin red line
Not sure when that came in but wasn't there a few versions back
My annoyance with the traffic display implementation is how the blue active route line obscures it, making it difficult to see. Seems a bit silly, as I mostly want to know the traffic state ahead of me along the route and in the direction I am travelling. The below reddit post is from a couple of years ago, but you get the gist. The Google enroute traffic display is so much clearer.

C74244B1-5138-40FE-9633-573CC2AA4A9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree
And not even accurate as I been looking at it of lately
Red line when no cars in site, when some cars, nothing showing and why would one want to see half dozen cars showing as red every time. No value whatsoever
Prefer google maps, red when heavy, orange when light. Anything else ignore

My annoyance with the traffic display implementation is how the blue active route line obscures it, making it difficult to see. Seems a bit silly, as I mostly want to know the traffic state ahead of me along the route and in the direction I am travelling. The below reddit post is from a couple of years ago, but you get the gist. The Google enroute traffic display is so much clearer.

View attachment 839621

Looks like the speed limit detection and set speed numbers are on the fritz again with 2022.20.8 for me. Today going down M1 on Gold Coast the heading south past exit 77 the car suddenly changed set speed to 80 though looks like the speed limit remained on 100 on screen and few hours later going north past same exit, it changed both set speed and showed speed limit of 80 for about 2 seconds, then changed speed limit back to 100 but left set speed on 80. So I had to accelerate back and hold the stalk down for it to adjust set speed to 100 again. I suspect it was taking the exit speed there even though I was on 3rd lane passing another slower car there. This seems to be a random occurrence with updates, some fix this issue and others seem to bring it back.

I upgraded to 2022.20.8, first software upgrade in 10 months and was previously running the 2021 code base.

TACC whilst being a lot gentler when slowing down approaching a stopped car, is generating way more false positives and unnecessary emergency braking than last year's software release. On a suburban road with parked cars either side it's jumpy and too eager to slam on the brakes. Mowbray Road in Lane Cove is a 50km/h road with mobile speed cameras hence my preference for TACC, but it was more driver frustration than driver assist along there.

Navigation needs a massive overhaul. Traffic along route is just the tip of the problem. We need alternative routes, smarter ways to avoid tolls (e.g. take toll if it saves more than 10 mins, otherwise avoid) etc.
But Google won't even do that. Tesla basically replicates with a Tolls on or off.
Alternative routes is reportedly coming and is already there in some markets that have different data sources.

On 2022.20.8 for a week now and noticed phantom braking when driving next to a dual direction bike lane (raised and off the road) with cyclists on it riding opposite to my direction. My sample data isn't extensive but it hasn't happened before where I felt like a car behind would rear end me - lucky there was no one there

bikelane.png

• Informative
Reactions: positiv
On 2022.20.8 for a week now and noticed phantom braking when driving next to a dual direction bike lane (raised and off the road) with cyclists on it riding opposite to my direction. My sample data isn't extensive but it hasn't happened before where I felt like a car behind would rear end me - lucky there was no one there

View attachment 842258
Same. I've felt that not only does it phantom brake more, but that the braking is quiet dramatic more often as opposed to earlier versions that would slow gently first to warn you that autopilot wasn't happy with something.

I was driving along the right most lane along the Pacific Hwy today with TACC on. Two pedestrians were standing on the wide middle divide no were near the edge waiting to cross, which triggered my car to brake hard. I'm now questioning whether I need to ensure that I'm in the middle lane in order to use #$%&* cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: positiv and Vostok
I only use AP on freeways or dual lane divided roads, can't see why it's needed on normal urban roads when it just causes stress. Have had radar cruise with stop go and steer for 6 years or so in previous car and it was painful on urban roads too but not as bad as the Tesla AP.
Hopefully it can be fixed but after having the M3 for 5 months I know it's limits so it's reserved for the aforementioned roads only.

Reactions: Leeroy and Fazza
Two pedestrians were standing on the wide middle divide no were near the edge waiting to cross, which triggered my car to brake hard.
Personally in that situation I'd be slowing too, and ensuring I'd be able to stop if the need arose.
And I can imagine that's the coding written into the car.

If someone has already half crossed a multi-lane road not at the lights you've got to be cautious

Personally in that situation I'd be slowing too, and ensuring I'd be able to stop if the need arose.
And I can imagine that's the coding written into the car.

If someone has already half crossed a multi-lane road not at the lights you've got to be cautious
At the lights of the pedestrian crossing in Killara, they had crossed my half of the road and were waiting to cross on the other side whilst standing on the pedestrian island in the centre of the road. You may well be a cautious driver but there was no risk other than the possibility of me being rear ended for braking on a straight section of Pacific Hwy.