Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the notification for 2022.24.6 on my M3 RWD 60kW with radar but won't be installing.
Don't want to be forced to use auto highbeam when on AP (yes I know it can be turned off but having to do it after each lane change on AP is too painful).

Will patiently wait for this to be an option.....
Oh darn fair enough ...may not apply to non-GF Shanghai builds or any cars with the radar hw already included?

In typical Tesla fashion they don't say anything.. it's all 3rd party stipulation i.e. notateslaapp, forums, etc.

bit more insight

We may be spared here in Aus, for now.. sometimes good to be behind the rest until teething problems ironed out.. then again automatic wipers..ahahah

idk i try to help the car learn if that's even possible.. by manuallly initiating the wiper once with press/release of the button on the left stalk .. in the hope the neuro-net learns the correlation of what i perceive requiring initiating a wiper run.

Oh darn fair enough ...may not apply to non-GF Shanghai builds or any cars with the radar hw already included?
My understanding is the Tesla vision update will mean auto high beam engages with AP each time.
Of course only a problem if driving at night and use AP.
If auto high beam actually worked then not a problem but it is terrible for me and many others too.
Auto wipers also part of the upgrade which I can live with even though it is lacking too in its functionality.

i try to help the car learn if that's even possible.. by manuallly initiating the wiper once with press/release of the button on the left stalk .. in the hope the neuro-net learns the correlation of what i perceive requiring initiating a wiper run.
1662188443927.png

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
My understanding is the Tesla vision update will mean auto high beam engages with AP each time.
Of course only a problem if driving at night and use AP.
If auto high beam actually worked then not a problem but it is terrible for me and many others too.
Auto wipers also part of the upgrade which I can live with even though it is lacking too in its functionality.
The auto wipers are usually mostly fine during daylight, though have sometimes random issues with wiping when there is nothing to wipe or slow to react to very light drizzle, however as soon as its dark, those auto wipers become totally useless.
With auto high beam though, as its only used when dark, it is worse than useless, as it randomly blinds other drivers and gets spooked by traffic sign reflections, so a big NO for me.
As the Tesla car cameras seem to be mostly fine in the light but struggle in the dark anyways, I suspect the issues with the auto high beams and wipers in the dark both come from too low quality cameras and not enough light sensitivity on those cameras,
There has been some speculation on the internet that the HW4 upgrade that was announced by Tesla last year AI day, will come with way better cameras.

The auto wipers are usually mostly fine during daylight, though have sometimes random issues with wiping when there is nothing to wipe or slow to react to very light drizzle, however as soon as its dark, those auto wipers become totally useless.
With auto high beam though, as its only used when dark, it is worse than useless, as it randomly blinds other drivers and gets spooked by traffic sign reflections, so a big NO for me.
As the Tesla car cameras seem to be mostly fine in the light but struggle in the dark anyways, I suspect the issues with the auto high beams and wipers in the dark both come from too low quality cameras and not enough light sensitivity on those cameras,
There has been some speculation on the internet that the HW4 upgrade that was announced by Tesla last year AI day, will come with way better cameras.
Hmm let's hope musky offers upgrade to existing fsd owners then (highly doubt it) - i.e. car was ordered prior to delivery with fsd but by the time we even get beta my car will be long gone through second hand market and tesla could just disable fsd because they do things like that..

I suspect if/when they crack the issues with Tesla vision that part of the solution is going to be hardware based, e.g. better cameras. If that happens they better offer something to the existing customers to get their systems fixed or I have a hunch a class lawsuit will come their way...
Tesla has promised every version of model s will drive itself. As far as I know only one owner took action and tesla lost the case and had to refund the car

Researchers who have more patience than me have found that human psychology operates on the tenet that for every negative interaction with the world you need 5 positive interactions to end up at a neutral verdict. This probably explains why my verdict on Tesla automation is biased towards negative.

After more than 2 years of ownership and 76,000km, my car mostly drives OK on highways - so long as long as there are no complexities involved. This takes the tedium out of long distance driving for me and is extremely useful. I rarely have phantom braking events, and I attribute that to the radar being an important part of TACC. I don't expect the car to FSD in an urban environment, that's just not going to be a thing for some time to come. So no negative experience for me on the front of "unmet expectations".

What's wearing me down has much more to do with the lack of progress or improvement for us here in Oz. The bad behaviour hasn't changed in any appreciable way in the past 2.5 years. It still does the same stupid stuff: The car slows down before passing other cars on the highway, always paints cars up ahead in the left lane as across the line over into my lane (despite that very clearly not being the case), emergency lane keep assists me whether I need it or not (and very loudly so), complains about lane changes, it rarely reliably changes from right lane to left lane on the highway, and it generally appears to be a second or two behind where the car is, for instance when other cars are crossing the highway at an intersection, the car slows way down, way late, and way unnecessarily so. The number of times it does these stupid things far outweighs the 5:1 ratio I'd need to develop a positive attitude towards it. My car is as dumb as a doorknob. And so are those who think they can fake human drivers with these crappy cameras.

I am very concerned that Elon and friends are going down the wrong rabbit hole by trying to implement AP on vision alone. While the cameras may have sufficient dynamic range (or do they if they need high beams!?), they most certainly do not have sufficient resolution to do this reliably without driving like an effing moron and constantly slowing down for potential obstacles, potential red lights ahead, or for phantoms.

If the comparatively trivial problem of solving a moving 40 sign on the back of the bus is beyond their ability, I don't have much hope for the more complex driving issues at hand.

Hmm let's hope musky offers upgrade to existing fsd owners then (highly doubt it) - i.e. car was ordered prior to delivery with fsd but by the time we even get beta my car will be long gone through second hand market and tesla could just disable fsd because they do things like that..
Of course they can do it if the car is resold by them, but FSD continues after private sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Fazza
Of course they can do it if the car is resold by them, but FSD continues after private sales.
They can always rebrand and call the new one AI drive or something else and say that FSD is this limited product in older versions and new better solution is their newly branded thing. Like what happened with the AP1 cars. They never got the upgrade and it was just said that they get what they got.

I suspect if/when they crack the issues with Tesla vision that part of the solution is going to be hardware based, e.g. better cameras. If that happens they better offer something to the existing customers to get their systems fixed or I have a hunch a class lawsuit will come their way...

"Offer something" - no, if necessary add whatever is needed to make the car do what we paid it to do.
Musk is the problem. For all his enterprise and intellectual abilities he is driven by tech, not providing what most people want.His comment a year ago saying "FSD is proving a lot more difficult than we thought" sums it up: tech nerds might imagine everything is solvable but any driver knows just how many "edge" cases crop up literally every day that are easily resolved by a mere human - often without thinking consciously about them - that are going to be almost impossible to solve by present tech. His saying that showed to me at least that he is distracted by the drive to bring in new things constantly rather than getting them working well, which after all is what Joe Public needs.
I'm a bit of a tech nerd myself, as are many Tesla owners, but mass EV adoption will only happen when we get past the "isn't this new and exciting, let's hope we get an update that makes it work properly" phase. I think the legacy auto makers have a better handle on this despite present glitches.
The one thing that sets Tesla apart from the rest is the supercharger network - and that's being rolled out to everyone: we paid for it, they won't!

Sept. 2021 M3P got 2022.24.6 yesterday.

Immediately took it for a 10 minute drive down a highway to try vision-based AP and came back disappointed.

It phantom braked twice. Once when it was driving past a metal barrier, and another when it was completely free on all 3 lanes.

In the past there was a way to trigger diagnostic data to be sent back to Tesla by holding the T on a MS. Is there similar ways to submit feedback in our cars these days?

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot