Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen no change, still stuffs up in the same places as before the upgrade, so I suspect we have not been using the radar for a while.
Got to wonder why, if vision only is better than hybrid, we now need to stay further away from the car in front? Makes it unusable in Melbourne traffic.

@positiv I think the dynamic range of the cameras is indeed quite good, I'm told the equivalent of 16 f-stops, which would be quite a bit better than the human eye, i.e. they're HDR cameras. They supposedly can detect features in a sunlit scene past the exit of a tunnel while still in the tunnel. In all 3 pixels spanning the width of the road 200m ahead...

I have seen no change, still stuffs up in the same places as before the upgrade, so I suspect we have not been using the radar for a while.
Got to wonder why, if vision only is better than hybrid, we now need to stay further away from the car in front? Makes it unusable in Melbourne traffic.
About the following distance. Tesla has not figured out yet that Australia's favorite sport is tailgating...

I agree. They've got to be huffing some Elon Musk grade Copium to call the loss of radar 'better'. It's clearly a downgrade. Tesla Vision might get better down the track but right now it's not equivalent.

I'm also very dubious that Vision can ever match the basic physics of radio waves, which can penetrate through fog and work without any light. Hopefully I'm wrong.

@positiv I think the dynamic range of the cameras is indeed quite good, I'm told the equivalent of 16 f-stops, which would be quite a bit better than the human eye, i.e. they're HDR cameras. They supposedly can detect features in a sunlit scene past the exit of a tunnel while still in the tunnel. In all 3 pixels spanning the width of the road 200m ahead...
My camera’s go into error and say ‘system unavailable’ when they have direct low level sunlight. As a driver I can see through that sunlight and make decisions.

I agree with all the above. The Drivetrain is excellent. The cameras are inferior. I just drove 20km and sitting at the traffic lights, they were flicking between red and yellow even though the lights were definitely red. Maybe something to do with the sun shining? Then, sitting behind several Sydney buses, every one got recognised as a 40km/hr speed sign. This has got much worse recently. Indeed, almost 100% accuracy recognising buses as speed signs.The cameras seem barely adequate on a sunny spring day and totally inadequate at night.

On a positive note, 2022.24.6 now allows the blind spot camera display to easily be moved, even while waiting at the traffic lights. Great to get it away from that bottom right position.

With regard to the traffic incident reporting, this is much, much better with the thin red or orange lines replaced by the whole road width of the segment changing colour. Note you must have premium connectivity for this to work.

Attachments

• 2022_24_6.png
    2022_24_6.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 83
Yeah I am staying strong until forced to change or it is somehow tweaked to allow mainly the high beam choice as user set....
Would like the side repeater screen ability to move but for me too high a price to pay on the other downgrade.
When I checked my revision notes, I realised that they had in fact rolled out Tesla Vision to my car in 2022.20.8! In other words, the new release gave the movable repeater screen stuff and the broader traffic lines but Vision was already there! That probably marries up with the changes I observed with 2022.20.8 which were:
1. No longer detecting "50 ahead" type signs as "50".
2. Detecting all buses as 40 speed signs.
3. Change to follow distance.
So, I'm not saying this has happened to everyone but it seems to have happened to me and has happened to others from what I have read. The commentaries I saw suggested they rolled out to some cars in 2022.20.8 but not all. YMMV.

When I checked my revision notes, I realised that they had in fact rolled out Tesla Vision to my car in 2022.20.8! In other words, the new release gave the movable repeater screen stuff and the broader traffic lines but Vision was already there! That probably marries up with the changes I observed with 2022.20.8 which were:
1. No longer detecting "50 ahead" type signs as "50".
2. Detecting all buses as 40 speed signs.
3. Change to follow distance.
So, I'm not saying this has happened to everyone but it seems to have happened to me and has happened to others from what I have read. The commentaries I saw suggested they rolled out to some cars in 2022.20.8 but not all. YMMV.
Are you not able to set the follow distance on TACC to "1"?

I'm on 2022,20.8 and can set it to "1", which as I found out the other day is still plenty of room for a CX-9 to stuff himself into between me and the car in front. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Fazza

I'm on 2022,20.8 and can set it to "1", which as I found out the other day is still plenty of room for a CX-9 to stuff himself into between me and the car in front. ;)
With 2022.20.8, my 2019 M3 SR+ will not allow me to select a following distance of less than 2.

For those concerned about the high beam on with AP, you can turn auto high beam off using the left stalk, but it resets each time you dis-engage and re-engage the AP, so it needs to be turned off each time, which is a pain.

With this latest "upgrade" added to:
- approving lane changes,
- approving green lights,
- the steering wheel nag,
- confirming it has the right speed limit set, and
- feathering the accelerator to override phantom braking
AP is getting way more involved than just manually driving the car :oops:

Reactions: pts260

Yeah watch out for those Mazdas - i hear they think they're european fancy cars but they're just petrol guzzlers just like any other - maybe more so

Same here with my 2021 3LR. As I found, it seems some cars got Tesla Vision at 2022.20.8 rather than 2022.24.6. But clearly this does not apply to all cars.
Didn't some cars ship with Tesla Vision? Or is that just a USA build thing, since early last year where they stopped fitting the radar to 3 & Y. Whereas they kept putting them in the Chinese cars. I was under the impression my 2019 build 3 had been using the radar substantially less since one of the updates mid last year some time.

I upgraded to 24.6 on my MS between drives yesterday, paying specific attention to TACC performance on distance setting 1, staying behind traffic to see if I could detect any difference in behaviour. I could not.

Are we sure they are no longer using radar in this version?

I upgraded to 24.6 on my MS between drives yesterday, paying specific attention to TACC performance on distance setting 1, staying behind traffic to see if I could detect any difference in behaviour. I could not.

Are we sure they are no longer using radar in this version?
The biggest giveaway so far is if using tesla vision and not the radar is that lowest following distance that can be set is 2 atm. So even though cars run the same fw, there's also a swag of configuration parameters that tesla can set on the fly depending on the VIN - clearly yours is set such that appears radar is still enabled/used.