Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait - there are toll roads in Tassie?!?
You're right, there's not (which is why I didn't even know what that symbol was!)

Just tried it again, the $ symbol is still there, then I tried a location about 100 m before the ferry terminal and it disappeared! I can only guess it thinks the ferry crossing is a toll road (which it kinda is, I guess). But... the supercharger is in a publicly accessible location before the terminal boarding area.

Reactions: Vostok
I have 28.1 and for the first few days, no alternate routes. However, as of this morning, I have the alternate routes.

Also, oncoming traffic has completely disappeared from the display, as noted by some others. Even when they turn across in front of you, they only appear when they are well into the lane in which I am travelling.

• Informative
Reactions: David G
I often get "corrective steering" applied even when indicating. I think it's purely a matter of whether the car thinks the line is crossable or not. And I guess from the perspective of emergency lane keep assist it doesn't matter whether you have indicators on or not. It's designed to keep in you in the lane. If you slump over at the wheel and happen to start the indicators as you hands fall from the wheel, ELKA would fail in the direction of where the indicator is indicating.

Have you tried indicating before crossing the line?
Yes, however indicating does not appear to affect it going off about crossing a solid line, it still believes you are departing a lane.
I often get "corrective steering" applied even when indicating. I think it's purely a matter of whether the car thinks the line is crossable or not. And I guess from the perspective of emergency lane keep assist it doesn't matter whether you have indicators on or not. It's designed to keep in you in the lane. If you slump over at the wheel and happen to start the indicators as you hands fall from the wheel, ELKA would fail in the direction of where the indicator is indicating.
My experience is the same, It hits the alarms and says lane departure detected even when indicating and not on AP, it also says it is taking corrective action, but as I have not enabled the lane departure assistance in settings, it just says that on screen without actually doing anything other than the alarms. Those alarms though are more of a distraction then help when driving.

Also, oncoming traffic has completely disappeared from the display, as noted by some others. Even when they turn across in front of you, they only appear when they are well into the lane in which I am travelling.
I'm one of the others, although I'm on 2022.24.6.5. I raised this as a Service Request and my helpful Tesla Mobile got me to re-install 24.6.5, which had no effect. He then advised that his report would be submitted to the Tesla engineers and that this "undocumented feature" (my words, not his) would be addressed in a future firmware update. May I implore anyone else suffering the same issue to book it in with Tesla Service, thus adding a little more pressure to finding a fix ? I'm not sure how reliably Tesla follows this forum.

I did a 287km round trip down the coast today so I got the chance to test Autopilot of my M3 running 2022,24.6.5. Up until a month ago I was still using 2021 code base, so I'd missed quite a few updates.

Autopilot has noticeably improved in the following areas:
  1. Transition to / from Autopilot. The car is now noticeably smoother in the transitions, if I engage Autopilot it's more subtle in adjusting the car to where it wants to place it whereas on the 2021 code it was more brusque in its steering application. Same with Autopilot releasing control, when I'd indicate to change lanes it lets go of control with less steering force required from the driver.
  2. It places the car slightly more in the centre of the lane, whereas before it had more of left side of the lane bias.
  3. Smoother steering around the bends. It feels more natural in its steering application and adjustment whilst cornering. A highlight was the two fast, long sweepers just north of Kiama, and I was impressed how smooth and sure it was through these.
It wasn't all perfect, Autopilot got itself confused at a traffic light intersection with the dotted lines on the road to help guide the cars turning into the intersection from the right hand side, and I had to intervene and take over.

I've been critical of TACC with Tesla Vision, and feel that it has limited when you can use cruise control in urban areas. However after today's drive it was great to see the progress that they've made with Autopilot on the highway.

What do these chevrons mean, in adjacent lane travelling in same direction on freeway. They were animated and scrolling back toward me like a conveyor belt?

1663832900664.png

What do these chevrons mean, in adjacent lane travelling in same direction on freeway. They were animated and scrolling back toward me like a conveyor belt?

View attachment 855523

In out FSD Model X from memory it means the car in the right lane is going slower than you in the left lane...as in your gaining on it (quickly)....I "think"....

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatbat
So I was recently made aware of the below in the Tesla M3 owners manual page 155. It has made me rethink my stance in regards to the installation of the latest software update 2022.24.8 that keeps splashing on my screen.

"NOTE: The software update screen persists until you install the update. You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible."

Just putting it out there.

So I was recently made aware of the below in the Tesla M3 owners manual page 155. It has made me rethink my stance in regards to the installation of the latest software update 2022.24.8 that keeps splashing on my screen.

"NOTE: The software update screen persists until you install the update. You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible."

i went 10 months ignoring updates, the car continues to run with whatever software version that you're happy with.

Presume tesla australia don‘t really think thats enforceable at a warranty level. If anything it‘s an admission of guilt by tesla that the previous version was so bad it could cause damage

Me think written by software engineers together with lawyers
Would not worry too much about it
Install if interested, ignore if you not

Wow - I never knew about that T&C. I think my record for ignoring a software update is about 6 months until people reported here that most of the egregious stuff-ups had been fixed or at least made not as bad.

Unless Tesla could prove that your failure to install a particular software update specifically and solely led to an issue that you later tried to claim under warranty, I doubt Tesla could unilaterally void your warranty under Australian Consumer Law. Failure to install enhanced fart mode for example would not cut it.

It also means after 4 years, you are free to ignore all software updates as long as you like, as the car is no longer under warranty 😄

If anything it‘s an admission of guilt by tesla that the previous version was so bad it could cause damage
There were a bunch of updates to the BMS on early Model S to better deal with their ageing batteries, as Tesla gained practical experience from having large numbers of cars on the road for long periods of time.

Avoiding those updates could result in premature failure of the battery, so Tesla want to make sure people are running the latest code.

It also means after 4 years, you are free to ignore all software updates as long as you like, as the car is no longer under warranty

8 years for the battery, which is the most important component they want to protect.