Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's certainly an interesting inclusion in the manual. The parts of an update that are not communicated such as tweaks to BMS etc as mentioned in another post is probably the point. I sure don't want to be in a legal fight with Tesla down the track seeing they have all the data and loads more money.

I have installed the update that I was avoiding as it seems inevitable, Tesla vision and all that, might as well enjoy all the fun of the Tesla experience.

Amazing, this is something I have wanted for a very, very long time!

How does it work? Does it give you one with tolls, one without?
In this case the toll icon is an error of some sort since we don't have any toll roads here, but it basically works the same as Google maps - gives you multiple options with the distance/time of each shown. You can tap on the other routes to select them, if you do nothing after about 5-10 seconds it starts navigation with the default one.

If one needs service work done, one also can’t wholly avoid “upgrading”. And these are Teslas we’re talking about, stuff is going to go wrong. (Well from my experience with a ‘19 Fremont 3). Sometimes service is really good and they won’t upgrade you if you ask them not to. But some items require the latest software to service - like the windscreen, weirdly - because of the cameras. That’s what forced me on to v11 almost a year after its release.

Regret it to this day.

Reactions: Maximillan
I have 2022.28.1 and am actually happy with it.
1. For me, driving behind Sydney buses and overtaking them no longer reads the speed limit as 40.
2. Reading of speed signs has been very good recently. No longer changes the speed on "xx Ahead" signs. Several 50 signs near home have had whitewash splashed on them and they used to register as 30km/hr. Now ignored.
3. I can move the blind spot camera display easily and like it (I am 75 and my neck is very stiff from a couple of bad falls from roofs).
4. I'm happy with Waypoints and also the alternate routes.
5. I've always been happy with voice recog (but I do not use it to ring people). If anything, it is even better now.
6. I like the improvement to showing congestion and hold-ups.
7. I like the Nav taking account of wind and temperature as well as topography.
There are other things that have improved in my 12 months of ownership including the Android App.

Perhaps I am too easy to please?

My other EV has had very few SW updates in almost 5 years. It could do with some! Plus I pay almost $200 per annum for map updates (about 2yrs behind reality) and realtime traffic information.

You must install a software update as soon it becomes available. Any harm resulting from failure to install a software update is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Failure or refusal to install updates can cause some vehicle features to become inaccessible, digital media devices to become incompatible.
I'm pretty happy with my current software (2022.20.8). I am not worried by this so will be sticking with it. Am far more worried about the shitty auto high beams on Tesla Vision

Reactions: bay74 and SaturnV
Now this is something I haven't noticed before - it's changed some time in the last month.

In the navigation, "Hungry" and "Lucky" now present a list of options, not a random option.

Note: "Results sorted by Tesla" at the bottom of the list.

IIAt1KH.png

Updated to 2022.28.2 today.......It took a while to download and install.
I had a chance to test the new teslavision as I had to do a quick run up to Gosford today and happy to report there were no issues with AP on the freeway, pretty much worked the same as it did when radar was active. There seemed to be a couple of potential hesitant braking that I detected but they didn't actually eventuate, slowed perhaps a couple of km/hr but almost instantly sped back to the desired speed.
However, it still is painfully slow to accelerate to the set AP speed when it slows for a car ahead that decides to change back into the slow lane - thought this might have been fixed but alas no.
Bear in mind it was daytime so no AHB to put up with.... Will see how that works on next night drive on freeway.

What do these chevrons mean, in adjacent lane travelling in same direction on freeway. They were animated and scrolling back toward me like a conveyor belt?

View attachment 855523
I got these chevrons in the adjacent lane today as I was zooming up the Transit Lane (thank you NSW Gov) in peak hour traffic and noticed that the car started to decrease my speed. I liked this caution as it reduced the speed differential of me running at 80km/h versus stop start traffic in the lane next door to a level where it is a better position to react should someone dart out from the adjacent lane.
It's something that I would do if I was driving myself, kudos to the Tesla engineers.

@Vostok interesting - I totally missed that announcement. Reading on that page now I see something else interesting: "An EV will not be subject to the RUC if it does not receive such a duty exemption." - my Model S didn't receive any duty exemptions, nor did it qualify. I read this as I will never pay a RUC with my car.

Correct, while ever you own it. If you’ve paid stamp duty upon purchase, then the RUC will not apply to you even after it comes into effect. Same apples to me with my Nissan Leaf and Model 3.

There’s two scenarios if you sell your Model S between now and when the RUC comes into effect:

(1) If you sell it at a price greater than the current EV exemption threshold, then under NSW law you need to notify RMS of the sale price on the transfer form and the buyer is obliged to pay the relevant stamp duty. The RUC exemption will continue on that vehicle. So it is probably in your and the buyers interest to not fudge the sale price (every time I have sold a vehicle the buyer has asked me to lie as to what the sale price was on the transfer form!)

(2) If you sell it at a price less than the current EV exemption threshold, then the vehicle is stamp duty exempt and it will become subject to the RUC when it comes into effect.

After the RUC comes into effect, it doesn’t matter what the sale price is of a zero emissions vehicle - stamp duty will not apply and the RUC will.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Correct, while ever you own it. If you’ve paid stamp duty upon purchase, then the RUC will not apply to you even after it comes into effect. Same apples to me with my Nissan Leaf and Model 3.

There’s two scenarios if you sell your Model S between now and when the RUC comes into effect:

(1) If you sell it at a price greater than the current EV exemption threshold, then under NSW law you need to notify RMS of the sale price on the transfer form and the buyer is obliged to pay the relevant stamp duty. The RUC exemption will continue on that vehicle. So it is probably in your and the buyers interest to not fudge the sale price (every time I have sold a vehicle the buyer has asked me to lie as to what the sale price was on the transfer form!)

(2) If you sell it at a price less than the current EV exemption threshold, then the vehicle is stamp duty exempt and it will become subject to the RUC when it comes into effect.

After the RUC comes into effect, it doesn’t matter what the sale price is of a zero emissions vehicle - stamp duty will not apply and the RUC will.
So I take it this is a NSW thing.
Down here in VIC we get charged the RUC regardless (as I understand it).