Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal experience while travelling has been closer to @ZeeDoktor described situation and does not seem to match what @Vostok suggests. Both mobile and home internet access overseas (mostly Europe) with local internet there has been way faster in my experience that Australian internet speeds. Also using my Australian mobile phone (Pixel 5 in my case) if using an Australian SIM card in it while overseas appears way slower than swapping that SIM in the same phone with a local SIM there. I am using Telstra, so it could be that other Australian telcos have different experience, but as others have coverage issues here on Gold Coast surrounding mountains, I cannot swap to other providers here.
From my Tesla Model 3 side though, the network has mostly been fine with the exception of a couple of software versions. This year I have had 2 that had rather bad connections through LTE and Wi-Fi both (2022.12.3.2 and 2022.28.2), the rest of the software versions have been mostly solid on network connection, though speeds have varied, which could be affected by location or other things.

Found this over on
relating to 2022.40.1. …

<quote>

Bugs Introduced in release​

Ryzen screen seems to lock up. This had primarily been reported on later MY cars althought we would asume it will apply to the M3 with Ryzen screens as well. The roll out of release 2022.40.1 seems to have been halted as a result.

Tesla sppear to have reverted to 2022.36 with a 2022.36.6 release coming out after the launch of 2022.40.1.

</quote>

Mine updated to 2022.36.6 this morning. I was expecting 2022.40.1 any day now, but apparently not.

Reactions: Hairyman
Worldclass performance? Where do you get this in Oz on an iPhone with 5G? Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Well, it must be in lots of places, since Australia is ahead of Switzerland in Ookla’s global mobile Speedtest results:

Median results:
Australia (#12): 88.82 Mbps
Switzerland (#15): 81.95 Mbps

Mean results:
Australia (#11): 169.84 Mbps
Switzerland (#15): 150.50 Mbps

Australia must have many more samples over 1 Gbps than Switzerland does in order to raise both the mean and the median.

I know that it’s fashionable to bash Australian mobile networks, but people tend to have a rose-coloured glasses view of their experiences when overseas which is not supported by the data. That’s just psychology at work - people overweight their positive experiences when overseas and underweight the negative ones.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic and I have nothing further to add.

22.36.5 has finally arrived
Now it won’t download
Just sits there shouting downloading 4.5kb but that’s it
Very frustrating, waiting weeks to only be teased further

Any suggestions on how to get it going?
Tried everything, reboot car, modem, connect to another network
Maybe another service call

Just leave it downloading overnight.

The "downloading" part of the process also includes some kind of unpack and verify step which can be time consuming, and on the 2022.36 download particularly so. I think it took well over an hour last night for me, and a large part of that was apparently stopped at "50%".
Similar experience for me yesterday evening with 2022.36.5 download got to 50% and took about 90 minutes sitting on that 50% before continuing. Once the download completed the install was also rather slow for this one as it took another hour installing it.

@Vostok yeah - way off topic, but please indulge a closing remark from me as well. I have no idea (nor do they disclose) how those metrics were calculated. Presumably just an average over a given timespan of all the tests people have done. There are many potential sources of bias in that, for instance most people only speed test when diagnosing problems. So this is potentially comparing problem speeds, not average speeds. I'm also still hoping you or @cafz can shed light on how the roaming data provision actually works, if not in the way I have described.

Relating all this to 5G, non-roaming only, all I can say is that the 1.1 Gbps I experienced in Bern (at the main station no less with many thousands of people around) was an outlier in the positive. At my home in the outskirts of Bern, I consistently am getting 700 Mbps down / 250Mbps up, in central Geneva at work 300 Mbps down / 100Mbps up. In Sydney I'm lucky to see 500 Mbps down / 150Mbps up, averaging at 150 Mbps down / 70 Mbps up.

And of course the majority of websites people access are located in the US or Europe - which loads 100ms faster from Europe than here purely based on signal travel and routing time. This adds to the perceived latency issues.

I am Swiss, been living in Australia for 20 years, I love both places on their own merits, so no rose coloured glasses here... And that concludes that detour. Apologies everyone for getting off topic.

Yeah seemed the slowest update from all others in the past. Quite a few list of updates. Remote open door maybe more suited to places where it snows
View sentry camera worked once. I like it
Was trying to show my wife how it works and hasn’t worked since
Ahh well maybe a work in progress feature
Looking forward to see what the energy app reports on

Reactions: Hairyman
From notateslaapp.com

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 11.16.27 am.png

Very strange..
The conversion is approx 32 / 35 / 38 Deg C
But per below pretty sure I had options of 30 / 35 and 40 when I got 36.2.

Too granular imho. Under summer sun the temp jumps quickly.
Id almost prefer a higher (say 50°) setting to minimise battery drain in the summer.

Just blast the AC when returning.

Last edited:
Default means the option defaulted to if you don't change it. Hired a model 3 in Canberra last week. It was selected to 30Deg Celsius. It had the options of 30 - 35 & 40 deg Celsius.
This may have been part of the failed 40.1 update and your hire had it but that has been pulled and the official version at the moment is 36.6 issued after 40.1 was pulled. The owners (on 36.2 - 36.6) I talk with don't have the ability to change the setting. My settings only allows the option to be on or off with no selections.