Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022.44.30 installed just now. Apple music improvements, door handle autopresent can now be disabled at home (I suppose that gets annoying when you go into the garage with your keys in the pocket to forage through your dual 4000 litre freezers and the car sticks the door handles out every time you walk by). And, most importantly, wait for it... one more second... we can now trigger a seat fart via the App!

Completely inconsequential upgrades for a contemporary person living in an inner city highrise.

2022.44.30 installed just now. Apple music improvements, door handle autopresent can now be disabled at home (I suppose that gets annoying when you go into the garage with your keys in the pocket to forage through your dual 4000 litre freezers and the car sticks the door handles out every time you walk by). And, most importantly, wait for it... one more second... we can now trigger a seat fart via the App!

Completely inconsequential upgrades for a contemporary person living in an inner city highrise.
Selecting home to prevent door handles, the car locking, and preventing camera’s recording has been available for a fair while. Very useful for a person living in a city beach-house and no we do not have spare food storage in our garage.

I love the smarmy, smart-arse and ungrateful comments in this forum, just because Tesla try to have fun and, god forbid, put a fart button on the app. Do you honestly think they're not actively working hard to make these cars better?

There would be less nark if TACC worked reliably without phantom braking and FSD wasn’t perpetually just a year away from being finished. But hey, we get a fart button in the App.

I don’t know about you, but in my world time and resources are both finite. One hour spent working on “A” is one hour that is spent not working on “B”. And “B” might be more important than “A”. Yes Tesla is working hard to make their cars better, but that does not mean their allocation of their finite resources and prioritisation of tasks is faultless.

Every time my car thinks a lane open indicator or an overhead speed limit LED sign is a traffic light, I earn the right to make one snarky comment about a software update that doesn't address that.

The same applies to 40 signs on moving buses being interpreted as a 40 speed limit.

I have at least 672 snark credits remaining.
I’m way in front of you if I can include the number of times voice recognises my request in writing but then just does something else.

There would be less nark if TACC worked reliably without phantom braking and FSD wasn’t perpetually just a year away from being finished. But hey, we get a fart button in the App.
Do you think there's just 1 person at Tesla who's being pulled from pillar to post on different parts of the software? One minute their working on farts, the next they're solving complex AI in the AP suite? Lol, you honestly can't be that naive!

Do you think there's just 1 person at Tesla who's being pulled from pillar to post on different parts of the software? One minute their working on farts, the next they're solving complex AI in the AP suite? Lol, you honestly can't be that naive!
Maybe they could sack the fart maker and big screen fireplace maker and employ someone with the necessary skills to sort out a more pressing issue, like making the wipers work properly, or maybe the headlights. Perhaps the financial resource could employ a QA person so less resources are wasted doing urgent updates. If there is no limit on funds, by all means employ a farter, but also employ someone who knows how to fix the wiper.

The intern farter of today could be the headlight fixer of tomorrow. They have to learn to walk (fart) before they run. Honestly, for a forum of this calibre of owners, some of you guys come across as rather simple people.
Will put my 2 cents worth in here. As a designer, builder and programmer of industrial machinery I think Telsla have some major problems especially with their software. The hassles or workarounds I put up with just to use the adaptive cruise control is beyond a joke IMHO when other car manufacturers can do it so much better. Drove a 2009 Toyota Prius with adaptive cruise all those years ago and only one time in heavy rain did it give any trouble and then gave good warnings. Same with Mitsubishi and these aren't what I consider premium cars.

Tesla have had plenty of owners complaining about these problems and plenty of time to solve them. Hell Toyota had what I consider a good system in 2009!

I think it's very "lucky" Tesla have the Supercharger network or I probably wouldn't own one. If I had the "basic" problems that could so easily be solved with the machines I put in the marketplace that Tesla have I would be very embarrassed about it and would be working very hard to fix them. I would fix those "basic" problems first then put time into things like FSD (or farts🙄) when the basics are totally fixed.

But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Will put my 2 cents worth in here. As a designer, builder and programmer of industrial machinery I think Telsla have some major problems especially with their software. The hassles or workarounds I put up with just to use the adaptive cruise control is beyond a joke IMHO when other car manufacturers can do it so much better. Drove a 2009 Toyota Prius with adaptive cruise all those years ago and only one time in heavy rain did it give any trouble and then gave good warnings. Same with Mitsubishi and these aren't what I consider premium cars.

Tesla have had plenty of owners complaining about these problems and plenty of time to solve them. Hell Toyota had what I consider a good system in 2009!

I think it's very "lucky" Tesla have the Supercharger network or I probably wouldn't own one. If I had the "basic" problems that could so easily be solved with the machines I put in the marketplace that Tesla have I would be very embarrassed about it and would be working very hard to fix them. I would fix those "basic" problems first then put time into things like FSD when the basics are totally fixed.

But that is just my opinion.
I've only been watching this space for a couple of months. It looks to me that they took a major pivot onto a new FSD implementation at some point and expect AP and EAP to migrate to that once ready.

They appear to have made the decision to put all their AP/EAP/FSD team behind the new stack and the AP/EAP we use daily is essentially dead in the water waiting for the new world to come along.

This decision wouldn't have burned so bad if the optimistic time table had been even approximately correct, but the never-ending push back of a shipping date makes the negligence of AP/EAP totally embarrassing.

I work in software too, and deprecated services become a major headache if the replacements are substandard or late.

Definitely not an excuse - the decision was a really bad one in hindsight, the new FSD had better be good and better be here soon!

Some of us simple folk have been around the block more than twice and know more than you might suspect about product development cycles, farters, and headlight fixers.

Some of us simple people merely express our disappointment in this forum at humanity repeating the same mistakes in roughly 20 year cycles.

FSD development for all markets except US is on hold until they have released something that works. Which by the looks of it is a long way out still.

I've only been watching this space for a couple of months. It looks to me that they took a major pivot onto a new FSD implementation at some point and expect AP and EAP to migrate to that once ready.

They appear to have made the decision to put all their AP/EAP/FSD team behind the new stack and the AP/EAP we use daily is essentially dead in the water waiting for the new world to come along.

This decision wouldn't have burned so bad if the optimistic time table had been even approximately correct, but the never-ending push back of a shipping date makes the negligence of AP/EAP totally embarrassing.

I work in software too, and deprecated services become a major headache if the replacements are substandard or late.

Definitely not an excuse - the decision was a really bad one in hindsight, the new FSD had better be good and better be here soon!
Not totally sure there is any good reason Tesla could possible have for such a crap piece of software (or hardware) for their adaptive cruise control!!!!

Let's try to look at this from an engineer's viewpoint because that is what I am. I do both hardware and software engineering as well as mechanical. Like I said above Toyota had a good adaptive cruise control over a decade ago and what sensor did they use ? Radar. Same with 2014 Mitsubishi Phev I owned, radar, and no problems encountered like I am seeing on my model Y except for a very heavy rain event making the radar unusable. But that is totally understandable to me because as a pilot of high performance pressurised twins I have seen radar rain shadows and know to stay away from them. So I know radar as a sensor. I have seen it in action in multiple uses and car manufacturers have made it work as a successful sensor in all but extreme cases (heavy rain).

So why not Tesla? They used radar. Now here we might get into excuses here like maybe: But we want to have a total Full Self Driving package blah blah blah.

And this to me as an engineer and product developer is where Tesla are doing it wrong. I never use my customers as product beta testers. Do all your testing as much as possible in house. Hell I have spent massive amounts of time doing that with all-nighters and all weekends when schedules are tight doing tests. Sure you may still get caught out with some really unforeseen circumstance later that may require a mod but nothing like I am seeing here with Tesla.

I have seen their ex chief software engineer from memory going on about how all vision hardware will probably be the way to go to finally end up as a good FSD package by keeping it simpler blah blah blah neural networks blah blah blah.

Well they may be right in the long run but prove that in house. To me I want to say get back to basics Tesla. Get your cruise control sorted. Maybe some like me don't need all that other crap like FSD. Maybe some of your customers like me just don't want our wife, girlfriends, family or whatever having the crap scared out of them when you can't get your act together and get something basic working like a reasonably reliable cruise control.

Ok rant over but just had my oldest son tell me about 2 major 110kph to 0 stopping events on a trip to Sydney from just going under some overpasses from his description and this terrified his fiancé. May have been lighting from time of day blah blah blah but it's got to point where I need to think about banning the use of cruise control or put my family through a major training exercise in how I control these events as much as possible or possibly selling the Y.

But this shouldn't be needed in this day and age of such a reasonably old technology like adaptive cruise control.

And again, all this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Not totally sure there is any good reason Tesla could possible have for such a crap piece of software (or hardware) for their adaptive cruise control!!!!

Let's try to look at this from an engineer's viewpoint because that is what I am. I do both hardware and software engineering as well as mechanical. Like I said above Toyota had a good adaptive cruise control over a decade ago and what sensor did they use ? Radar. Same with 2014 Mitsubishi Phev I owned, radar, and no problems encountered like I am seeing on my model Y except for a very heavy rain event making the radar unusable. But that is totally understandable to me because as a pilot of high performance pressurised twins I have seen radar rain shadows and know to stay away from them. So I know radar as a sensor. I have seen it in action in multiple uses and car manufacturers have made it work as a successful sensor in all but extreme cases (heavy rain).

So why not Tesla? They used radar. Now here we might get into excuses here like maybe: But we want to have a total Full Self Driving package blah blah blah.

And this to me as an engineer and product developer is where Tesla are doing it wrong. I never use my customers as product beta testers. Do all your testing as much as possible in house. Hell I have spent massive amounts of time doing that with all-nighters and all weekends when schedules are tight doing tests. Sure you may still get caught out with some really unforeseen circumstance later that may require a mod but nothing like I am seeing here with Tesla.

I have seen their ex chief software engineer from memory going on about how all vision hardware will probably be the way to go to finally end up as a good FSD package by keeping it simpler blah blah blah neural networks blah blah blah.

Well they may be right in the long run but prove that in house. To me I want to say get back to basics Tesla. Get your cruise control sorted. Maybe some like me don't need all that other crap like FSD. Maybe some of your customers like me just don't want our wife, girlfriends, family or whatever having the crap scared out of them when you can't get your act together and get something basic working like a reasonably reliable cruise control.

Ok rant over but just had my oldest son tell me about 2 major 110kph to 0 stopping events on a trip to Sydney from just going under some overpasses from his description and this terrified his fiancé. May have been lighting from time of day blah blah blah but it's got to point where I need to think about banning the use of cruise control or put my family through a major training exercise in how I control these events as much as possible or possibly selling the Y.

But this shouldn't be needed in this day and age of such a reasonably old technology like adaptive cruise control.

LOL just noticed I wrote fiancé in my previous post above. Not sure my future daughter in law would want to be called a man.:eek: Probably fiancée is more appropriate. 😁

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot

A fair rant and I agree the issues with autopilot need to be fixed asap. Having said that after 11000klms and three roadtrips in m3 lr I'm coming to the conclusion overall autopilot is safer then not having it. Without autoplilot it only takes seconds of distraction at 110klmsh to steer into another lane or mis a heaveily braking car in front , maybe another Tesla. Before I ordered my tesla i read about the phantom braking and I thought to myself that sounds similiar to my 2019 VW Polo gti with adapative cruise control and it is. Sure the Polo does phantom braking in slightly different scenarios and maybe not as harshly but it does do it. I'm 64 but I like cars and tech. Ive bought a lot of tech products over the years, including a robotic mower and vacuum cleaner and i cant think of any one that hasnt had some bugs in it. Even before the digital age how often did we have some cars that had weak clutches or geaboxes etc because they werent properly tested before being released onto the market. Japanese cars are popular because they generally dont have too many issues. Im also starting to wonder though if some teslas suffer from phantom braking more then others as in regards to the overpass issue my experience is the car slows a bit then recovers but doesnt slow to a complete stop. It could be my experience with my polo coming into play there though as maybe im overriding it with the accelerator without thinking about it.

A fair rant and I agree the issues with autopilot need to be fixed asap. Having said that after 11000klms and three roadtrips in m3 lr I'm coming to the conclusion overall autopilot is safer then not having it. Without autoplilot it only takes seconds of distraction at 110klmsh to steer into another lane or mis a heaveily braking car in front , maybe another Tesla. Before I ordered my tesla i read about the phantom braking and I thought to myself that sounds similiar to my 2019 VW Polo gti with adapative cruise control and it is. Sure the Polo does phantom braking in slightly different scenarios and maybe not as harshly but it does do it. I'm 64 but I like cars and tech. Ive bought a lot of tech products over the years, including a robotic mower and vacuum cleaner and i cant think of any one that hasnt had some bugs in it. Even before the digital age how often did we have some cars that had weak clutches or geaboxes etc because they werent properly tested before being released onto the market. Japanese cars are popular because they generally dont have too many issues. Im also starting to wonder though if some teslas suffer from phantom braking more then others as in regards to the overpass issue my experience is the car slows a bit then recovers but doesnt slow to a complete stop. It could be my experience with my polo coming into play there though as maybe im overriding it with the accelerator without thinking about it.
A car that slams its brakes on for no good reason is not safe. Its actually the equivalent to the car behind accelerating for no good reason, which is the same end result - a significant rear end crash. This would traditionally result in a recall. A car with humans in it is not a robot lawnmower. It should not have known faults that could either seriously injure (or worse) its occupants. Australia has a recall system for such situations.

Reactions: OzBMR
A car that slams its brakes on for no good reason is not safe. Its actually the equivalent to the car behind accelerating for no good reason, which is the same end result - a significant rear end crash. This would traditionally result in a recall. A car with humans in it is not a robot lawnmower. It should not have known faults that could either seriously injure (or worse) its occupants. Australia has a recall system for such situations.
Glad I sold the VW Golf then. It did it a couple of times on the highway and almost every time leaving the gym until we found an angle that didn't trigger the emergency braking. Also lane assist trying to steer into a concrete wall at the same point on every commute since it thought the expansion strip on the road was a lane divider. Not fixed in 2 years, no recall, a lot of pointing at the manual where it states the driver is responsible.

Maybe I have just been lucky enough never having "phantom braking" issues before with the 3, and all Japanese, cars that I have owned with adaptive cruise control.

Probably should have explained those major 110kph to 0 stopping events better. These are full on emergency braking events that although you never quite get down to 0kph, it certainly feels like you are going there, that once you get over the the shock of it, and start applying the accelerator a lot speed has been washed off and you are grateful no one was close behind you. Now that happened near Bulahdelah, or the bypass of, and just after they had endured that it happened again at the next overpass. Like I said his fiancée was terrified and you probably can't blame her.

Now if you know the A1-M1 from the Mid North Coast where we live there are a lot of overpasses in front of them to Sydney and quite a few behind but no problem from then on or before or on their return from Sydney.

Now I have to state here I have felt that type of "phantom brake" episode only once. It was on my first trip in the MY coming back from Sydney where on a straight section with no traffic' after Newcastle on a weekday going north the traffic dies out when there are no holidays, just after the middle of the day when bang it threw my youngest son and myself forward in our seat belts. It certainly gets your heart racing and yes I have I have felt those mild or what I call stupid slowdowns before but this is extreme braking. Been past that location since and nothing. There is no overpass no crest of a hill nothing we saw to explain this event at the time and I was probably too much of a noob to look at the display at the time to try and see what was showing.

All in all it certainly make you have your foot riding on the accelerator at all times while on cruise control. Stupid slowdowns overtaking B-doubles is just plain common for instance I find. And yes I have seen traffic crossing at approx 100meters or more ahead with short sharp slowdowns that I am ready for these days and can reduce them to a minimum.

It seems like I am nearly always fighting the car while on cruise control to some extent. Yea good times.🙄