Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like this update is going to take time to settle in as there are issues. It's hard to believe Tesla can release this update all around the world and it mostly works. It's not just an iPad update it's a car with an iPad screen which navigates on autopilot by itself. My 3 will not voice turn on its rear camera today.

voice commands seem more reliable now

I'm finding having to use the brakes more often than previous software versions
feels like regen braking/one peddle driving has been toned down
Doesn't seem to stop as aggressively if I quickly lift my foot off the accelerator
Which results in needing to brake more if something unexpected happens

2020.4.1 still seems to not like it if you try cancel motorway exit it's chosen
It will still try to exit again after canceling then slow down as you drive past the exit
like it thinks it's taken the exit and should be slowing down.
Or it gets confused because it didn't exit and decides to slow down

Yeah, voice commands work better now. But started with this update that when I say ‘set fan speed to 5’ (or any number) it confirms that it heard it right but always sets the fan to 10. This used to work and weird that it confirms it right but does it wrong.

Haven’t tried to do much with voice commands since the last version
It still does understand Mum, I’ll try set fan speed and see what results I get

NoA- motorway drove the same route, canceled the same exit I didn’t want to take
This time it behaved as you’d expect, carried on past the exit I had canceled and took the next exit without issue.
Later the same day same route, canceled same exit, popped up again, cancelled again, popped up again
canceled again and it still took the exit.

Only difference could see was earlier today I was in the middle lane - canceled once
Later I was in the left lane, the lane you would need to be in to take the exit - multiple cancelling still exited

Should be on at least 2020.8.1 by now, but new cars can take a bit to get their first update. When you open the app on your phone it's not showing as pending delivery or anything like that? Sometimes they forget to update that status which can hold up the updates too.

Congrats on the new car!
Connect to wireless stick it on advanced, you might get an update in a few weeks
mines on 2020.8.1

if you don't eventually get software update you can try schedule service appointment
from the app for software. Put in the notes you haven't had software update
Service should be able to push new update out. Two weeks might be a bit soon for that though

2020.12 seems to be rolling out in the US in small numbers
I think maybe to do with the new visualizations, stop signs,traffic lights, road markings etc.
and possibly the rumoured AP for city streets.
Although UK has the newer visualizations NZ and Au don't, we've had nothing since road cones

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Last edited:
No sign of pending delivery or whatever. Looks like I will just have to be patient until the system sorts it all out. Plenty of time on my hands to sit and watch and wait... As you say, I thought 2020.8.1 would be available. My car detected thousands of cones, cars, trucks and the odd motorcyclist but not traffic signs. It is also well off on the speed limits, sometimes it has speeds as they were months ago. Pity it can not yet recognise traffic speed signs like the Vauxhall Astra I hired in the UK a year or so ago. Relying on out of date map info is a bit old school.

No sign of pending delivery or whatever. Looks like I will just have to be patient until the system sorts it all out. Plenty of time on my hands to sit and watch and wait... As you say, I thought 2020.8.1 would be available. My car detected thousands of cones, cars, trucks and the odd motorcyclist but not traffic signs. It is also well off on the speed limits, sometimes it has speeds as they were months ago. Pity it can not yet recognise traffic speed signs like the Vauxhall Astra I hired in the UK a year or so ago. Relying on out of date map info is a bit old school.
Must be excruciating torture having a new car and not being able to drive it much
fortunately I've had mine a while