Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brief drive with 2020.40.8 NoA today
Seems much more civilized than 2020.40.3 or 4
Not behaving like an impatient teenager rapidly accelerating and decelerating in traffic
NoA Still wants to stop for motorway on ramp traffic control lights even though you're already on the motorway, no change there
Phantom breaking, haven't driven enough. But 2020.40.8 seems less like a startled pony. Unlike 2020.40.3 and 4
both of which were prone to jambing on the brakes at the sight of it's own shadow or if the wind changed

After installing 2020.40.8 and traveling into town (60Km) I was very pleased to note that I did not experience one phantom brake or slow down. Then traveled to Christchurch and again no problems at all on Active Cruise Control. Also behaved with no issues at night on the way home. However both days were overcast, in other words no shadows. However once the sun came out, bang, back came the phantom braking, both times were on a corner with a truck approaching from the opposite direction, casting a shadow across the road. Seems OK with truck shadows on straight roads however. Trees were not moving but I would hazard a guess that the car is still scared of moving tree shadows as before. I would have thought the radar would have picked up that it was not an obstacle and ignored shadows.

As for reading speed signs, one little improvement would be to use the right hand stalk to accept the recognised speed sign. Much like the stalk is used to acknowledge green traffic lights on Full Self Drive. When the car sees the new speed, push down once with the stalk and the car will then set its speed accordingly. Much easier than taking your eye off the road and finding the little red speed sign and trying to align your finger to press it.

I also had a another little play with Autopilot and note that the car seems to sit better in the lane, with the exception of moving towards on coming trucks. It ignores cars but moves towards the centre line slightly when an on coming truck approaches. I thought this maybe due to an American car may move away from the centre line upon an approaching truck and maybe they did not reverse that action for right hand drive cars.

Still cannot read corners and still gets confused very easelly. I much prefer driving with active cruise control, especially on cloudy days or at night.

Looking forward to the next update :)

2020.44.10.1 landed yesterday
NoA was possessed this morning, kept constantly trying to change to the wrong lanes on the motorway
Had to turn it off and use AP ....1st world problems
Reboot, was ok coming home, I'll see what it's like tomorrow

Had a play with holding down the gear stalk in cruise control and it works well. Increasing speed is fantastic, reducing speed is not workable. If you drive north into Winchester the speed goes from 100Km/Hr down to 50Km/Hr and the speed sign is right next to a primary school. If using the car to read the speed signs and the gear stalk to acknowledge you are nearly half way though the 50Km/Hr section and well past the school. Good way to get a ticket :(

I have found that adaptive cruise control has been very stable and now only phantom brakes at corners where a truck is coming towards you. It is definitely getting better and better. Still don't like auto pilot much, it turns at the corner not into the corner. It takes a right hand corner much better than a left. Left hand turns are no good at all, the car ends up on or over the centre line.

It is good on long straight sections or long sweeping corners though. Lets hope V11 will be the ticket.:D

Had a play with holding down the gear stalk in cruise control and it works well. Increasing speed is fantastic, reducing speed is not workable. If you drive north into Winchester the speed goes from 100Km/Hr down to 50Km/Hr and the speed sign is right next to a primary school. If using the car to read the speed signs and the gear stalk to acknowledge you are nearly half way though the 50Km/Hr section and well past the school. Good way to get a ticket :(

I have found that adaptive cruise control has been very stable and now only phantom brakes at corners where a truck is coming towards you. It is definitely getting better and better. Still don't like auto pilot much, it turns at the corner not into the corner. It takes a right hand corner much better than a left. Left hand turns are no good at all, the car ends up on or over the centre line.

It is good on long straight sections or long sweeping corners though. Lets hope V11 will be the ticket.:D
Can't say I've noticed going over the center line on corners.
What I have noticed is different behavior on the same piece of road. A stretch of road I travel daily, slightly uphill, single lane splits into 4 lanes on the down hill side two lane left turn two lanes right turn. There is a bit of a gap with the lane markings the single lane ending and the 4 lanes starting, maybe about a car length or so as you crest the slight up hill section
Sometimes the car will handle this fine majority of the time it won't. Some times it will indicate left and proceed to quite rapidly change lanes to the extreme left hand lane even though navigation knows I'm going right
Some times it will dither between left and right. it's a game of Russian roulette what the car will do. Place your bets spin the wheel what she'll do none knows.... I think it's a combo of the approach angle and the gap in the road markings

I think there is a problem with the speed sign detection behavior for NZ
it's not actioned till after you've passed the speed sign, which I think maybe the way the US functions
For NZ needs it to be actioned before passing the speed sign

Can't say I've noticed going over the center line on corners.
What I have noticed is different behavior on the same piece of road. A stretch of road I travel daily, slightly uphill, single lane splits into 4 lanes on the down hill side two lane left turn two lanes right turn. There is a bit of a gap with the lane markings the single lane ending and the 4 lanes starting, maybe about a car length or so as you crest the slight up hill section
Sometimes the car will handle this fine majority of the time it won't. Some times it will indicate left and proceed to quite rapidly change lanes to the extreme left hand lane even though navigation knows I'm going right
Some times it will dither between left and right. it's a game of Russian roulette what the car will do. Place your bets spin the wheel what she'll do none knows.... I think it's a combo of the approach angle and the gap in the road markings

I think there is a problem with the speed sign detection behavior for NZ
it's not actioned till after you've passed the speed sign, which I think maybe the way the US functions
For NZ needs it to be actioned before passing the speed sign

Just guessing here, but your description sounds like a crest of a hill, with the added fun of missing lane markings. Hill crests are Kryptonite to AP as the angle between the camera and the road is too steep and it loses sight of the lane markings even when they are clear. The difference in behaviour may be due to traffic as the car will try and lock onto a car in front when lane markings disappear for a while which it can only do when one is available.

Just guessing here, but your description sounds like a crest of a hill, with the added fun of missing lane markings. Hill crests are Kryptonite to AP as the angle between the camera and the road is too steep and it loses sight of the lane markings even when they are clear. The difference in behaviour may be due to traffic as the car will try and lock onto a car in front when lane markings disappear for a while which it can only do when one is available.
Good point, I'll see what happens with a car in front, most of the time I disengage AP beforehand
I usually only try it if I've had a SW update and there is no one behind