Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates -- how large and will they download over "premium connectivity?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a brand new owner (Model 3 LR) and haven't yet figured out how to get wifi to my car. After asking me to connect to wifi 3-4 times, it looks like the car downloaded the last software update (2021.32.21) using the "premium connectivity" in the car. For another update (that seemed to only update games), I used my Iphone hotspot while sitting in the car. I don't know how large these software updates usually are and if they will all eventually use the premium connectivity to download, or if I should use my phone as a hotspot to do so? Sorry for the newbie question and thanks for your information and recommendations.

I am a brand new owner (Model 3 LR) and haven't yet figured out how to get wifi to my car. After asking me to connect to wifi 3-4 times, it looks like the car downloaded the last software update (2021.32.21) using the "premium connectivity" in the car. For another update (that seemed to only update games), I used my Iphone hotspot while sitting in the car. I don't know how large these software updates usually are and if they will all eventually use the premium connectivity to download, or if I should use my phone as a hotspot to do so? Sorry for the newbie question and thanks for your information and recommendations.

When first started in 2012, we didn't need wifi for firmware updates. It used free 3G if there's no wifi. I guess they were small enough for the purpose.

After a while, Tesla put out a policy to stop doing that without wifi. You might get lucky once in a while if you can update firmware without wifi but that's not its goal.

If you have a hard time getting reliable wifi then sure, you can connect to a hotspot from your phone as needed.

To answer your thread title,..

"no, most updates will not download over the cellular connection", unless its considered a critical update by tesla. They can designate an update to download over the cellular connection if they wish. Note that, premium connectivity does not appear to have much, if anything to do with whether you get an update over cellular.

Subscribing to that will not let you get more updates over cellular, for example.

I am a brand new owner (Model 3 LR) and haven't yet figured out how to get wifi to my car.

I have great WiFi coverage in my house. The signal was sketchy on my carport, where I park my Model 3. So I ran an ethernet cable out to the carport and added a WiFi access point there.

Now the Model 3 gets great WiFi, even with the new access point set to its lowest power output setting.

I am using mesh routers and put one in garage, it works great
Trust me: I spent a LOT of time trying to get a signal to my garage. It is separated from my condo by two other condo units. The best path I could come up with had two external walls and about 200' separating the base station and the satellite (Netgear Orbi) in the garage, both placed high and the signal just wouldn't get back there.

I've had zero problems getting the downloads via my phone's hotspot on the drive between home and work: every single update has been handled this way. Map updates take a couple of trips.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin