Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Version 9: New Versus Old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some folks are still waiting for Tesla Software Version 9, but those who have it are beginning to share.

No matter which automaker’s touch-screen infotainment system you’re using — regardless of how intuitive it is — there’s always a bit of a learning curve. This is also true when Tesla moves to new software, via its over-the-air update process. So, the question is, how much better is Tesla Software Version 9? What are its pros and cons? Most importantly, how is it different from the previous version in terms of its interface?

We can’t think of a YouTuber that may be better suited to provide us with this detailed comparison of Tesla’s new Software Version 9. Erik Strait (DAErik) is heavily involved in all things Tesla and does great work when it comes to keeping owners and prospective buyers informed about the electric automaker’s advancements through the crafting of top-notch videos. In fact, he was one of the first to release a lengthy and detailed look at the Model 3 touch screen.

Have you received the Version 9 update? If so, what suggestions do you have for Tesla to take it to the next level? Leave us your thoughts in the comment section below.

Video Description via DAErik on YouTube:

Tesla Version 9 Settings. New vs. Old.

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate the version 9 update on the model x. There update takes away the split screen that everyone loves and forces you to have the maps open all the time with one other app overlaying it. I used to love driving with the rear camera on to help with going spots, that is not gone. As a trade off, we get small incremental improvements in autopilot and still no full self dining features. Adding some old video games doesn't justify this terrible update. This should be called version 8.1.

When will Version 9 be available for Model 3? I can't wait!!!

Model 3 does not need V9 to experience that you cannot arrange any app you want on its background. From the beginning, Model 3's background must be map first then you can have another app on the bottom half.

Model 3 has never been able to do what Model S and X could from the beginning:

ueevftz.jpg

Rear view mirror on top half to monitor police/tailgaters and a browser such as with the site TeslaWinds.com at the bottom half to continuously monitor your surrounding environment from different speeds of different directions of winds to the grades of descending/ascending...

Model 3 owners need to ask for that kind of flexibility in your User Interface.

Mode S and X should not suffer that loss of flexibility in order to match the limitation of of Model 3!

We prefer the two app original option instead of map always. With two apps we could put music options on top and rear camera at the bottom. Major road trips is the only time we desire the map app up on top with either rear camera or music below.

This is not a simple matter of teaching an old dog new tricks. It is driving convince and visually able to monitor our surroundings or driving cab environment.

Technically speaking, Xena now changes lanes as advertised on highway 101 in Washington. The highway is two lanes in either direction. For the year and a half we have owned our X, until now she refused to cooperate. Other major freeways was never a problem, i.e. I-5 in Washington.

Do not worry, I refuse to ever go near Washington DC:)

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
I'm old (72) and don't like change. But, I like V9 and really don't care if the 2 screen feature is gone, but you folks who want it should be given the option.

PS: I do want "Speed Controlled Volume" and wish Tesla would spend time on that instead of games!!

Reactions: jrreno
Is there anything positive that can be said about V9 ?

Of course, there are many positive features in V9 but why must there be a trade-off when there is no technical reasons to restrict user interface configuration.

It's another case study of trade-off as in first Model X production: if I wanted Model X, I had to give up the ability of second row seats foldability.

Owners kept complaining about the trade-off and eventually, Tesla gave in and produced Model X with foldable second row seats.

It's not about what Tesla cannot do but it's about Tesla is willing to go backward in technology for its belief that that's what owners want: less flexibility in features: If some cars can't fold their second row seats, let's implement that to Model X, if Model 3 can't do what Model S and X can, let's implement that restriction to Model S and X...

We prefer the two app original option instead of map always. With two apps we could put music options on top and rear camera at the bottom. Major road trips is the only time we desire the map app up on top with either rear camera or music below.

This is not a simple matter of teaching an old dog new tricks. It is driving convince and visually able to monitor our surroundings or driving cab environment.

Technically speaking, Xena now changes lanes as advertised on highway 101 in Washington. The highway is two lanes in either direction. For the year and a half we have owned our X, until now she refused to cooperate. Other major freeways was never a problem, i.e. I-5 in Washington.

Do not worry, I refuse to ever go near Washington DC:)

Drove my wife out for breakfast giving us another look at V9, for me, the first time in daylight. I liked the google satellite map view as we drove to and from breakfast. It gave me a chance to look over the terrain while driving, which was cool. While having to manipulate the menu at the bottom between music and rear camera, it is doable; just learning the new path and symbols/icons.

Autosteer gave me little change. Autopilot felt tighter, and the reminder to grab the wheel seemed less annoying. Either the car has a better sense of my control or the system is gaining confidence:)

It would seem to me that once Tesla does away with side mirrors, they may be forced back to a duel screen ~ just me thinking out loud and not based on fact or fiction. Or, will the car diagram (dash) do a better alerting me while I am still in control or, or if fully autonomous ~ there is no need for mirrors period. I am okay, I am okay ~ just fell off the chair:)

It's not about what Tesla cannot do but it's about Tesla is willing to go backward in technology for its belief that that's what owners want:

Are you sure you aren't saying Tesla is WILLING to go FORWARD pushing new product by reducing old? Slight change that would make sense from a Silicon Valley perspective, where progress finds ways to make slightly older technology that much worse. I don't think I'm taking a leap, here. From what seasoned TMC users are saying, Tesla's "update" objectively goes backwards. We aren't all driving 2012 Signature cars. These aren't drive-by negative posts, by recently registered users. This is any Model S that is just 2 years old (AP1), or older.

The way TMC has chosen to promote Daerik's article, without recognizing consistent negative AP1 feedback, is kind of sad. This is not about learning new software. Simply reading the one place on the internet, where Tesla owners hang out in the highest concentration, should have told them that.

Last edited:
Played with newly-installed V9 yesterday. Yes, it is different from the older versions, and it will take some familiarization on my part, but imho it is a tremendous step forward. You might not agree - some people prefer chocolate and some choose vanilla - no need for hostility.

Played with newly-installed V9 yesterday. Yes, it is different from the older versions, and it will take some familiarization on my part, but imho it is a tremendous step forward. You might not agree - some people prefer chocolate and some choose vanilla - no need for hostility.

Your insensitivity to people wanting what they paid for, seems a little hostile too. Maybe I'm not getting the flavor?

Everyone focusing on the split screen issue. Has no one noticed what a disaster the revised climate controls are?

Can’t individually select which portions are auto or manual. It’s now full auto or full manual. In the past I’ve had forward vents with auto fan. Can’t do that anymore. Also can’t activate the heated wipers or steering wheel without the rest of the climate system turning on. Used to be able to auto vent a temperature if it was 70’s outside but the sun hitting the car made it too warm. Now I have to fiddle with the fan speed up and down unless I want to burn more power running the ac. The scenarios go on and on.

Everyone focusing on the split screen issue. Has no one noticed what a disaster the revised climate controls are?
Have you tried to make a phone call using the touch screen? I also keep having to take my eyes off the road to put camera or web browser back on because v9 keeps switching the second app to media all the time, without any rhyme or reason, probably because that's Elon's way to tell us he knows better what we should be looking at on the screen, or that he hired some off-shore web developers to write v9 who have no clues how to design, implement and test automotive use-cases.

The entire v9 is a disaster for S/X.