Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar and Powerwall Price Increase, May 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice in May 2022, Tesla has recently increased prices for their solar panels by 3% and increased the cost to install Powerwalls by $500.

Tesla used to offer 4 standard sizes for solar (12X solar panel increments) and now show 10 options (12 solar panel base + 6X solar panel increments). Historically adjustments to the final number of solar panels can be made after the initial order.

See breakdown below. Note, the sub-items for Powerwall are my estimated breakdown; NOT Tesla's actual breakdown. It helps to shows how the cost breaks out. Tesla does state pricing, "Excluding sales tax and including installation".

Current Pricing
Capture2.JPG

Past Pricing - March 2022: 4.4% Increase in solar cost + $500 per Powerwall cost increase from end of 2021

Capture1.JPG

Past Pricing - December 2021

Capture5.JPG

Lowest Price for Solar...
Capture.JPG

Reactions: dhrivnak
I placed my order in early March for 9.6kW +2PW. I did not approve their design/panel layout and requested some changes (but to to the number of panels). After several requests for the status (with response of "we're really busy") I am still awaiting the design update. I am expecting that when (and if ever) that is forthcoming, the price will reflect what I ordered in March.
As an aside, I am now also talking to a couple of other solar companies to see if they can offer something comparable in capability and cost, and quicker!

I placed my order in early March for 9.6kW +2PW. I did not approve their design/panel layout and requested some changes (but to to the number of panels). After several requests for the status (with response of "we're really busy") I am still awaiting the design update. I am expecting that when (and if ever) that is forthcoming, the price will reflect what I ordered in March.
As an aside, I am now also talking to a couple of other solar companies to see if they can offer something comparable in capability and cost, and quicker!
I was looking at adding another Powerwall. I have ordered. Tesla’s selected plan of a 9.6 kw with 1 PW+. I ordered in May. On the 19th. I don’t want to change it now. Or add panels. I feel like it will be a delay and financing rates will go up in a few months.

That's the one, at least it's still there but $500 less.
I just don’t see prices coming down. On anything. They may flatten out some. Over the next few years. But Gas will never be .85 cent and a Happy meal won’t be $1.99 anymore. I’m going keep my current Solar System order at the price I think I can afford. While trying to find ways to save on energy usage and Electric provider fees.

Reactions: KHYE
Wow, prices have really gone up...Used to see Tesla solar only quotes at ~$2 or less. It's now at $2.62 from your quote. If you aren't set, can't hurt to see what independents are charging just for giggles maybe (or if you want other tech like microinverters).

Reactions: Jones1
Wow, prices have really gone up...Used to see Tesla solar only quotes at ~$2 or less. It's now at $2.62 from your quote. If you aren't set, can't hurt to see what independents are charging just for giggles maybe (or if you want other tech like microinverters).
The other quotes were about $67,000-$84,000. It depends on how many Powerwalls you wanted. With one Powerwall. Tesla was still $30,000 cheaper. 😆 This is the quote I got earlier this year. It doesn’t include the interest. It was a 10kwh 1 Powerwall. SunPower or Freedom solar.

1654044127416.png

The other quotes were about $67,000-$84,000. It depends on how many Powerwalls you wanted. With one Powerwall. Tesla was still $30,000 cheaper. 😆 This is the quote I got earlier this year. It doesn’t include the interest. It was a 10kwh 1 Powerwall. SunPower or Freedom solar.

View attachment 811155

Sunpower panels tend to be overpriced. I think I got over 10+ quotes and usually, from 3rd parties, I was seeing about $45k-$50k for 2x Powerwalls (or Enphase) and a bit less solar than yours around my area (southern CA).

I also see that your screenshot was a loan so that tosses out any easy comparisons.

Is your monthly energy bill "only" $144 (that's low in CA) when we see $400-$1000/month bills here. It's hard to beat Tesla on pricing, and as long as you got a lot of quotes to compare, that's probably the price for your area. Just know Sunpower tends to be way overpriced (I actually was dead set on going with them when I started my research until I was getting quotes in the $4.25+ range) and noticed a lot of other vendors had 25 year warranties too and a good reputation. Not worth it, all IMO of course.

If you can, maybe try to get the installers to split up the cost of just the solar with/without the battery and see how it looks. A lot of times, I feel 1 PW/battery is not worth the $$ since they overcharge you for all the added work and 1 battery isn't going to last long (at least not for me). I wouldn't be able to last an evening on 1 battery.

I am part of a small, local solar installer, and we have seen solar panel prices rise some 25% in the last two years, not drop. Racking prices are up 20% and inverters up a modest 5%. Permitting has also gotten much more challenging. So unfortunately I have seen prices going up.

Reactions: Jones1
Sunpower panels tend to be overpriced. I think I got over 10+ quotes and usually, from 3rd parties, I was seeing about $45k-$50k for 2x Powerwalls (or Enphase) and a bit less solar than yours around my area (southern CA).

I also see that your screenshot was a loan so that tosses out any easy comparisons.

Is your monthly energy bill "only" $144 (that's low in CA) when we see $400-$1000/month bills here. It's hard to beat Tesla on pricing, and as long as you got a lot of quotes to compare, that's probably the price for your area. Just know Sunpower tends to be way overpriced (I actually was dead set on going with them when I started my research until I was getting quotes in the $4.25+ range) and noticed a lot of other vendors had 25 year warranties too and a good reputation. Not worth it, all IMO of course.

If you can, maybe try to get the installers to split up the cost of just the solar with/without the battery and see how it looks. A lot of times, I feel 1 PW/battery is not worth the $$ since they overcharge you for all the added work and 1 battery isn't going to last long (at least not for me). I wouldn't be able to last an evening on 1 battery.
That quote I posted didn’t include interest. When I added up the monthly payments it was about $80,000. If I remember correctly. Currently my monthly electric bill would average around $160-$170. I just got my Tesla. So I think it might go up by $75-$100 more charging at home. Unless I can charge at work more. If i just went with panel’s it would be beneficial faster for me. But adding a 1 Powerwall for back up. Pushes the investment further out for me to benefit from solar. I could of added a Generac Natural gas. Instead of solar. That would cost me about the same as 1 Powerwall with install. I chose the battery because from talking to my neighbor. If you don’t have a battery back up. You wont be able to use your Solar if the grid goes down. I’m told it will not work. They turn it off for safety. If I add another PW. Then that’s another $7000. Taking my Tesla order to the $50,000’s. I’m trying to keep it around $40k I originally took 3 quote. Only 1 or 2 companies would send me the qoute. Tesla seemed like they were the best deaL

Wow that YoY inflation! Here's my March 2021 contract pricing

View attachment 852055

Was Tesla still doing micro-inverters with this pricing? I'm guessing no with that Inverter Line item. Comparing the two quotes, it seems like installation cost is now increased by a LOT more.

I agree that with tax credits, prices are much much nicer. I compared with my general cost and it's not that much more actually so feel pretty good with what I paid. If I actually receive my SGIP, only a few K different and my install was probably a bigger pain.

At that time was right after Tesla's big price drop to using standardized setups to incldue 340W Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G6+ panels, 3.8kW or 7.6kW Tesla inverters, Gateway 2, and Powerwall (Powerwall+ wasn't introduced yet). Well into covid times but before all that supply chain brouhaha.