Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla+Solar and the end of Net Metering in San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of late June, 2016, a triggering event has been reached which ends pure Net Metering and starts lots of additional fees for new solar energy users. (existing users are grandfathered for up to 20 years)

When selling excess solar electricity to the grid during the day and buying it back from the grid at night, there are now "non-bypassable charges" (NBCs), so that charging a Tesla overnight from borrowed electrons will no longer be "free".

Has anyone been able to find out the actual amount of these new NBC fees?

The SDG&E site is elusive: Overview - NEM Cap | San Diego Gas & Electric

Our governor wants everyone to embrace solar and his CPUC is in bed with the utilities to snuff out any benefit to owning it. Outrageous to say the least. Perhaps I'll add another 3 kWh of panels to charge the M3 during the day when I'm not out and about.

A couple years ago, I allowed them to control my a-c during heat events. I opted out of that plan and now I just let it run continuously, keeping the house at 72ºF all this month. They want all my excess power to sell to the guy next door for 30 cents/kWh but only want to net out at the end of the year by giving back less than 3 cents/kWh. I burn everything I I generate these days.

The first year I had my system, I paid mandatory charges of around $1.82 monthly. My second year they jumped to over $10 monthly. No - not much but you see where this it's going?

Guess who paid for, or is paying for, the decommissioning of SCE's San Onofre nuclear generation plant the contractor didn't build right. Yes, Edison's contractor? Yep, the rate payers and taxpayers of California always seem to take it in the shorts in this state, where petrol is about 25% higher than the next highest state (perhaps Hawaii excluded for obvious reasons). But that's a complaint for another forum or minimally another thread. No political oversight of big utilities and oil.

As long as you don't get charged for using the energy you generate yourself onsite at the time, solar will do fine. (Spain has a "tax on the sun", which has inspired widespread anger and may still lead to the overthrow of the government.)

Reactions: lklundin
The first year I had my system, I paid mandatory charges of around $1.82 monthly. My second year they jumped to over $10 monthly. No - not much but you see where this it's going?

Guess who paid for, or is paying for, the decommissioning of SCE's San Onofre nuclear generation plant the contractor didn't build right. Yes, Edison's contractor? Yep, the rate payers and taxpayers of California always seem to take it in the shorts in this state, where petrol is about 25% higher than the next highest state (perhaps Hawaii excluded for obvious reasons). But that's a complaint for another forum or minimally another thread. No political oversight of big utilities and oil.
You were paying into the decommissioning of San Onofre from the first day they started producing mass amounts of carbon free energy. There was however interesting things that happened behind doors with the owners of the plant and the CPUC which is under investigation. But paying for the decommissioning is not something new.

If you don't want to pay to use the grid and transmission infrastructure just disconnect from the grid. Easier said than done, and for good reason.

Oh, believe me. If I were 30 years younger, I would build a house totally off the grid, deep cycle battery bank, inverters, natural gas or LPG backup generator - no problem. It doesn't make financial sense at this juncture and as I approach 70. No worries, last month I had the a/c running 24/7 and thermostat set at 72ºF. Still got a $42 credit from SCE, so I need to find a way to use more power thanks to my 24 LG Mono X panels. M3 to the rescue or maybe a bank of electric ovens in my kitchen.

Oh, believe me. If I were 30 years younger, I would build a house totally off the grid, deep cycle battery bank, inverters, natural gas or LPG backup generator - no problem. It doesn't make financial sense at this juncture and as I approach 70. No worries, last month I had the a/c running 24/7 and thermostat set at 72ºF. Still got a $42 credit from SCE, so I need to find a way to use more power thanks to my 24 LG Mono X panels. M3 to the rescue or maybe a bank of electric ovens in my kitchen.

I hear ya. Gotta find some way to justify over sizing your system and spending more money on a system than needed. Theres always more energy you can use. Maybe put a NEMA plug out front of your house for travelers to use. Share that over generation.

I hear ya. Gotta find some way to justify over sizing your system and spending more money on a system than needed.

The house I bought was a resale, so I had no records of electric usage. My system sizing was determined by the dwelling's sq. footage (2 kW/sq. ft.). The solar company actually overbuilt by a little and the sizing was never questioned. After the M3 arrives, I'm thinking that we'll almost be there. 12.6 mWh produced during the first full year. No complains.

Net metering is not coming to an end in San Diego. Here is what changed with the CPUC NEM 2.0 decision (as it relates to San Diego):

* All PV systems under 1 MW now pay a $132 interconnection fee (I've heard of two solar providers that are covering this fee)
* All residential PV customers must be on a TOU rate (with some exceptions)
* All new applicants for interconnection must certify that a warranty of at least 10 years has been provided on all system equipment and installation
* Customers can remain on the NEM 2.0 tariff for up to 20 years from the date of authorization (just like the original NEM 1.0 tariff)
* All customers on NEM 2.0 must pay non-bypassable charges on the net kWh from the grid during each metered interval
* For residential customers, this amounts to $0.02012 per kWh

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
What did your system cost to install before rebates?

$28K before tax credits

What wattage LG Mono X panels?

275W LG Mono X (Monocrystalline)

What model inverter?

SolarEdge SE7600 (2 strings)

Who was the installer?

US Green Energy Management | Save Money. Save the Planet. Go Solar.

I had Solar City at the house, and they gave me a very high quote for cash. I think their model is geared more toward leasing for discounted power but they will do a cash install. Interviewed about six companies. Very satisfied.

What did your system cost to install before rebates?

I'll also offer that my system was installed on the ground. I didn't want people drilling holes and walking around on my roof and the panels are easy to clean. I'm fortunate to have 1/2 acre of property, and the system is hidden from the rear patio view. System is facing due south (180º azimuth, 19º elevation). So the extra cost of trenching 42" deep required by city code and running a lot of footage of copper cable over 100' was also included in that price. I'm sure the company can do a clean roof install.