Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Gateway / Wifi Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got powered on yesterday with a 12.24KW system and no Powerwall (yet). SolarEdge inverter. I was getting data this morning, but I had to reset my home wifi and now my Tesla gateway has been unable to reconnect, saying "no signal" for over two hours now. It's plugged into my modem/router via ethernet and was working fine before the wifi reset. Does it usually take this long to reconnect? Do I have reset the inverter every time I reset wifi? Thanks in advance.

Find IP address of TEG. Login to TEG (default password is on TEG box) using IP. In connectivity you will find wired and wireless connection. Change to your wifi password there for wireless connection to new password.

That answer wont help this OP because he states "no powerwall yet".

The solar gateway (little black box) doesnt have anything to log into, and can sometimes take some time for your system to re sync up with. The only thing one can do with that solar gateway is the standard basic network troubleshooting of "unplug it, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in".

Note. Op, you said you "reset your home wifi" and I am not sure you are using the same meaning for that an IT person likely would. In any case, try unplugging it and waiting a good 30 seconds, then plug it back in. The only other things you can look for are on your network side, there isnt anything on that black solar gateway device you can do to troubleshoot it beside turning it off and on.

Note 2. If your neighbor has tesla solar, your inverters will jump on that if yours isnt available, and may not jump on yours till tomorrow. The inverter doesnt try to re connect when it has a signal, and if it jumped on your neighbors solar gateway it wont even attempt to try to find another one until it powers up again (either by you power cycling it, or when it turns itself back on tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Does the solar gateway (little black box) get a signal from the inverter if it's not turned on? I'm waiting for PG&E's PTO.

No, it doesnt. I have a 2015 install, and my inverter brand is "ABB" so i am unfamiliar with how other inverters specifically behave when there is no solar powering the home, but in my case, my inverter completely shuts down every night. Every night when my solar shuts down, the little black box gateway shows no signal.

It only goes away when the solar comes on, as @jboy210 stated.

Find IP address of TEG. Login to TEG (default password is on TEG box) using IP. In connectivity you will find wired and wireless connection. Change to your wifi password there for wireless connection to new password.

Do the powerwalls/gateway have it's own wifi signal, or are you using the IP address of the TEG to login via your home wifi network?