Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Glass Install Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm patiently waiting for my Tesla Solar Glass install, I've been trying to search the Interwebs for a resource to track Tesla's Solar Glass Installation, similar to the order and delivery trackers we see on cars. Based on recent threads here on TMC, it seems like it's over 100 roofs installed thus far.

So, I started a Google Sheet spreadsheet with hopes of tracking them. Please look into it and feel free to add your info:

Tesla Solar Glass Order Tracker

Let me know if you have any other column suggestions.

While I'm patiently waiting for my Tesla Solar Glass install, I've been trying to search the Interwebs for a resource to track Tesla's Solar Glass Installation, similar to the order and delivery trackers we see on cars. Based on recent threads here on TMC, it seems like it's over 100 roofs installed thus far.

So, I started a Google Sheet spreadsheet with hopes of tracking them. Please look into it and feel free to add your info:

Tesla Solar Glass Order Tracker

Let me know if you have any other column suggestions.
It seems to be view-only. Do we just send the data through this thread?

extra columns could include % solar tiles on south, east, west, north... shade situation/days of sun based on Project Sunroof

later it would be good to be able to add actual monthly/yearly production (or at least yearly and min/max production in a month during the year (the min is the most important to figure out if we can truly be off grid, sustaining in PW only)

That's a great idea I'm very interested as well!

A great place to start is to google "buildzoom sr60t1" which gives many details for V3 glass installs. Such as date, price, and most importantly Watts per square ft. This is 12.8Watts per sq. ft. for V3. V2 and 1 had about 11.7

I estimate there were about 50 total installs for R&D V1 + V2. That includes 12 Tesla employee / mgmt installs according to Reuters.

You'll have to get your methodology down though as Tesla holds much data privately especially now as their UL listings are no longer publicly viewable.

jboy210 had the best estimate of about 100 V3 installs to date. Perhaps he could elaborate on his estimate and update for Covid year 2020 full year production? Perhaps 200-250 for this year? Maybe 2 to 3 times that next year if it works out?

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
That's a great idea I'm very interested as well!

A great place to start is to google "buildzoom sr60t1" which gives many details for V3 glass installs. Such as date, price, and most importantly Watts per square ft. This is 12.8Watts per sq. ft. for V3. V2 and 1 had about 11.7

I estimate there were about 50 total installs for R&D V1 + V2. That includes 12 Tesla employee / mgmt installs according to Reuters.

You'll have to get your methodology down though as Tesla holds much data privately especially now as their UL listings are no longer publicly viewable.

jboy210 had the best estimate of about 100 V3 installs to date. Perhaps he could elaborate on his estimate and update for Covid year 2020 full year production? Perhaps 200-250 for this year? Maybe 2 to 3 times that next year if it works out?

The 100 number came from a program Tesla was running this winter. They were trying to get 100 SolarGlass roofs installed as fast as possible. This came from the lead on our install. In our case it meant they paired a Tesla crew with a 3rd party contractor crew. The Tesla crew ran the projects and supervised the work of the sub. They also did things that I gather they are not doing now like throw in re-sheeting as required, new gutters, and in our case adding rafter tails and sheeting to ensure the guttering runs they installed were perfectly straight. The downside of all this "free" work is we paid more for the package as the sheet shows.

I have no idea how many more installs have been done, but the interest has been pretty high in our neighborhood. I met people from blocks away that came over to see the roof, fleet of workers, and Tesla trucks. Also, the fire department came by to check out the roof so they could safely put out fires on homes with Solarglass roofs.

I believe this visibility was part of Tesla's goal with this 100 install project. And we were contacted by Tesla and asked if they could give out our address as a reference. We agreed and are always happy to talk about the roof.

Last edited: