Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar/ IL/ Rebates and quote new thread request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New proposal for 9.77kw and 1 powerwall for battery back up only since im on a net metering plan w comed.
I priced out a whole house generator and was alot more $. These states rebates are still awesome for small block funding.
Very close to my 12kw system im guessing due to additional rebates for powerwall? Also I did confirm Tesla puts the state rebate in their name so they collect the rebate and take the funds right off the top of the quote. According to Tesla the powerwall has immediate avail for install.

Reactions: JFChenger
upload_2019-5-14_13-27-24.png

Update on my journey here.

Home assessment guy came today. I found out apparently, in Chicago, Tesla currently is not installing panels on houses like mine, 3 stories high with an attic. Reasons being they "don't have the equipment to put panels up that high". Frankly, he sounded vague and unsure about the reason he gave me but was very sure the fact they can't do it. I have a finished attic with a rooftop deck (plenty of landing and staging area for hauling materials). My roofers did my entire roof using the rooftop deck as the staging area. I'm frankly very surprised and was not happy that they won't put the panel on my main house roof where there's the unobstructed line of sight to the sun. The picture below is not my house, but gives you an idea. I have a corner lot (unlike the house in this picture), so proximity to the houses next to mien is also not a concern.
ISifnnzpm9sx651000000000.jpg

So anyway, the assessor decided my detached garage roof is good enough and focused his time there for my 4kW system. While I don't mind the garage roof location itself per se, but since my main panel is on the house side, I'm sure it will add cost to run the line digging through my backyard and under my backyard deck. The assessor said I should receive my design and quote before the end of the week.

Well I also requested a quote from Tesla but decided to go with another vendor who was giving me LG panels for the same price as Tesla. I would shop around before signing up with Tesla. Keep in mind the efficiency in the Tesla is not the best.

Well I also requested a quote from Tesla but decided to go with another vendor who was giving me LG panels for the same price as Tesla. I would shop around before signing up with Tesla. Keep in mind the efficiency in the Tesla is not the best.
Do you mind sharing who the vendor is and what's your $/watt before incentives? I've had 4 bids so far, Sunrun, Moxie and Sun Badger all in person, plus a 4th from EnergySage bidding system (virtual). All of them in the $3.4-3.7/watt range, using Q.Cell panels or LG panels.

Update on my journey here.

Home assessment guy came today. I found out apparently, in Chicago, Tesla currently is not installing panels on houses like mine, 3 stories high with an attic. Reasons being they "don't have the equipment to put panels up that high". Frankly, he sounded vague and unsure about the reason he gave me but was very sure the fact they can't do it. I have a finished attic with a rooftop deck (plenty of landing and staging area for hauling materials). My roofers did my entire roof using the rooftop deck as the staging area. I'm frankly very surprised and was not happy that they won't put the panel on my main house roof where there's the unobstructed line of sight to the sun. The picture below is not my house, but gives you an idea. I have a corner lot (unlike the house in this picture), so proximity to the houses next to mien is also not a concern.
ISifnnzpm9sx651000000000.jpg

So anyway, the assessor decided my detached garage roof is good enough and focused his time there for my 4kW system. While I don't mind the garage roof location itself per se, but since my main panel is on the house side, I'm sure it will add cost to run the line digging through my backyard and under my backyard deck. The assessor said I should receive my design and quote before the end of the week.

Tesla also said they could not put solar panels on my flat roof. When every other solar company I received a quote had no problem with this.

Maybe reasons like this contribute to why Tesla's solar business is doing so poorly as depicted in this article.
Tesla’s trumpeted solar shingles are a flop

In the end I chose another solar company which was significantly cheaper and sounded like they had a lot more expertise.

Signed on the dotted line yesterday and loan paperwork took about 5 min for approval.
Now comes the waiting game. Eta on contract shows 4-6 months before completion.

Still waiting on an answer in regards to inverter. System had to stay under 10kw for state rebates.
My question is in regards to having a larger inverter for future expansion or if the rebate is due to inverter size or total system
kw? I would like to add panels after project is completed in zero out my comed bill. 10kw puts me about 80% according to Tesla production numbers.

Reactions: JFChenger
Signed on the dotted line yesterday and loan paperwork took about 5 min for approval.
Now comes the waiting game. Eta on contract shows 4-6 months before completion.

Still waiting on an answer in regards to inverter. System had to stay under 10kw for state rebates.
My question is in regards to having a larger inverter for future expansion or if the rebate is due to inverter size or total system
kw? I would like to add panels after project is completed in zero out my comed bill. 10kw puts me about 80% according to Tesla production numbers.

Anything higher than 10kw system the rebate will be broken into 5 years, under 10kw you get the rebate within a year. Stick with 10kw inverters as they only cost about 2500 to upgrade.

I know there is a premium for Tesla, but I don’t see a sense of paying the premium. Get a larger SREC rebate when you finance the the system by your bank or even pay cash. I been shopping for panels for about 3 months at the end I wanted efficient panels with high wattage like the LG neons.

Last edited:
Anything higher than 10kw system the rebate will be broken into 5 years, under 10kw you get the rebate within a year. Stick with 10kw inverters as they only cost about 2500 to upgrade.

I know there is a premium for Tesla, but I don’t see a sense of paying the premium. Get a larger SREC rebate when you finance the the system by your bank or even pay cash. I been shopping for panels for about 3 months at the end I wanted efficient panels with high wattage like the LG neons.
I posted my complete pricing above in same thread

Thx. Interesting discussion. Will def check different option and see if it’s beneficial for me or not.

Quick question, my roof is old and have to be replaced in couple of years, do I need to replace it first?

Depends on the degradation. If you can get 5 years out of your roof without the panels you should be on great shape. Also, keep in my mind the contractors will let you know if you need a new roof or not during the initial assessment. I also felt like replacing the roof, but my contractor and several other vendors advices against it.

If you do decide to reroof let’s say after the install removing the panels and popping them back up would add between 1000-2500. To the roofing project.

Update on my Tesla quote that I received today, $2.65/watt on the dot with Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 315 Panels and SolarEdge inverters. My problem is (as I mentioned in the earlier part of this thread) is that they won't install it on my house, only on my garage, now I'm faced with a $3,500 cost to trench a 42' line between my house and detached garage. Ugh.

Warranty details,
  • System Maintenance & Repairs System maintenance IS included for 20 years from the Installer.
  • “System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer. If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of your System (in years) are:
    • Solar Panels: at least 12 years
    • Inverter: at least 10 years
  • Please check the Manufacturer’s warranty for the coverage period of other hardware components.
    • If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for the labor/workmanship for each component of your System (in years) are: 20 years
    • Please review your Contract for additional information about any warranties on the System installation and equipment. Note that equipment warranties for hardware are not required to include labor/workmanship. Your Provider may assign or subcontract any of its rights or obligations under this Agreement to any affiliate, successor, partner or purchaser. If such a transfer occurs, you will be notified if this will change the address or phone number to use for system maintenance or repair requests.
  • Roof Warranty Your roof IS warranted against leaks from the system installation for the first 10 years by the Provider.
  • Performance or Production Guarantee: Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee

upload_2019-5-27_19-53-2.png

upload_2019-5-27_19-54-37.png

Last edited:
JF what happen to the other guy? Didn’t like their offering? Was Tesla better in pricing? My panels are getting installed tomorrow, so checking to see if the contractor I sent you worked out.
He's been very responsive as well but a bit delayed in final design as he had to be out of town for a few days. I'm in final stage of decision between them two out of 6 bids I've gotten.