Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That might be a little tight. You need about 30" for the PW. If that outlet weren't there it would seem to fit. They have certain setback rules for installing the PW next to other things. I'm not sure what those are. I assume a car pulls in along that side of the garage. In some localities that might require a bollard to make sure the car cannot drive into the PW. When the Fire Marshal came to inspect my PW install he mentioned that they were out of the way of cars coming into the garage, but as far as I know in this part of TX there is no requirement for bollards to protect them.
It’s about 35 inches. Between the Circuit panel and the outlet. But my Tesla would be parked next to it.
1654978085811.jpeg

I can move some stuff around. Fridge , weight bench and tool table. So I can get it installed on the front wall of my garage.

1654978139556.jpeg

I have some yard work to do in the morning. After that I will move the fridge And turn the weight bench(that i need to sell 😆) 180degree’s. I should have 5-6 feet off clear space. Where the fridge sits now. Thanks for your help. I’m glad i asked. Very great full for your pictures.

You need to find where the studs are. My guess is that outlet is connected to a stud on the left or right. Judging by your battery charger it is on the left of the outlet. The bracket that mounts the PW to the wall must be on two studs. Also the PW overlaps the bracket and that will likely cover the outlet. They can also be placed on the floor so that may be a better option. I think in that case the weight is on the floor but they are connected to the wall for security. You could move that outlet over to the right with a remodel box.

Also, the PW sticks out 6.5" from the wall.
IMG_4997.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jones1
You need to find where the studs are. My guess is that outlet is connected to a stud on the left or right. Judging by your battery charger it is on the left of the outlet. The bracket that mounts the PW to the wall must be on two studs. Also the PW overlaps the bracket and that will likely cover the outlet. They can also be placed on the floor so that may be a better option. I think in that case the weight is on the floor but they are connected to the wall for security. You could move that outlet over to the right with a remodel box.

Also, the PW sticks out 6.5" from the wall.
View attachment 815572
Yes it is a stud. I also thought about mounting the Powerwall higher up. Ive seen some pictures of other garage install’s. I don’t know the install or local requirements for my area. I will take off on the Site Survey date. To see the best spot to place it. Do you get a lot of heat from the Powerwal’s?

Yes it is a stud. I also thought about mounting the Powerwall higher up. Ive seen some pictures of other garage install’s. I don’t know the install or local requirements for my area. I will take off on the Site Survey date. To see the best spot to place it. Do you get a lot of heat from the Powerwal’s?
Not much heat really. There is a cooling function that sends warm air out the right side. Today for the first time that fan kicked into high speed and it made a moderate noise. I have a pretty larger 3.5 car garage so maybe I don't notice the heat, and well it is Houston so it is damn hot even without the PWs. That is why the higher speed today, just the garage was extra warm as the temp neared 100F. And the batteries were charging.

At what point in the Solar process can you lock in your loan rate? I will be financing through Tesla. I recently signed a loan agreement. After I
upgraded my system from 9.6-12kw. Is the financing for Tesla Solar the same as it is for a Tesla Vehicle? 30 day’s then you have to reapply? I’m trying to get the current loan rate locked in as soon as possible.
Since the Fed will raise rates again this week or next.
Thanks

At what point in the Solar process can you lock in your loan rate? I will be financing through Tesla. I recently signed a loan agreement. After I
upgraded my system from 9.6-12kw. Is the financing for Tesla Solar the same as it is for a Tesla Vehicle? 30 day’s then you have to reapply? I’m trying to get the current loan rate locked in as soon as possible.
Since the Fed will raise rates again this week or next.
Thanks
Tesla responded to me via text. They told me I’m locked in my current interest rate. I hope so.

While you are waiting for PTO. My understanding is that you can not use your solar system to power your house or send back to the grid. But you are able to see what you are producing. Do you have to pay your Solar financing/ monthly bill? If you are financing or pay in full? I understand the buyer has to pay the down payment before PTO. But I’m unsure or aware of any other payment’s until PTO? Thanks.

While you are waiting for PTO. My understanding is that you can not use your solar system to power your house or send back to the grid. But you are able to see what you are producing. Do you have to pay your Solar financing/ monthly bill? If you are financing or pay in full? I understand the buyer has to pay the down payment before PTO. But I’m unsure or aware of any other payment’s until PTO? Thanks.

I think the only thing you can't do is export to the grid. You can use as much solar as you produce.

My site survey is next week. I will be at work. My wife will be off. So she will have to take notes. Relay messages or hold the phone while I FaceTime talk to the surveyor. I was going to take a day of to be there. I think I rather take a couple days off later on. When they actually do install. When you tell coworker’s or boss. That you are getting Solar. They don’t want to hear your “Liberal idea’s”. 😆 in Texas.

It may differ with the design of your system, but with mine (with GW2) I was able to generate power from installation day and charge the batteries and run off the batteries. I can do everything except export to the grid. So I have seen considerable savings on my electric bill, but I can't earn credits until I get PTO. I called Tesla to ask about my PTO and they told me they have submitted everything to TNMP and that maybe I should call. They never send me any status on anything, they quit responding to my text messages, they don't even list their phone number. Thier customer service really sucks.

If you read your agreement it says you pay after you pass inspection. Not after PTO. They will post your invoice and they give you 12 days I think to pay. If you financed I assume they start you automatically once you pass inspection.

I got POA or HOA approval letter. Emailed it to Tesla HOA department. Today Tesla contacted me via text. To tell me they have uploaded my HOA approval letter to my document list. When I went to the website. Tesla solar was requesting I upload my electricity bill. I believe i uploaded the same bill. That I gave them the first time. I haven’t gotten a new bill yet. I wonder if this something that i will have to keep doing until I get the system installed? Oh well at least they are contacting me now. Minor progress.

I got POA or HOA approval letter. Emailed it to Tesla HOA department. Today Tesla contacted me via text. To tell me they have uploaded my HOA approval letter to my document list. When I went to the website. Tesla solar was requesting I upload my electricity bill. I believe i uploaded the same bill. That I gave them the first time. I haven’t gotten a new bill yet. I wonder if this something that i will have to keep doing until I get the system installed? Oh well at least they are contacting me now. Minor progress.
I had HOA approval pretty early in the process and sent them the letter but my account never reflected it was done until after installation. When dealing with Tesla Energy customer service you have to remember one basic rule... you can never lower your expectations enough. Thier technology and products seem to be very good, their customer service is the exact opposite. This is how they save money. You can find PA's that are good, but they just don't have enough time to spend on any single customer. One time I called they connected me to a different PA and he was in my account updating all sorts of status my normal PA had not done. I look at this as a 20+ year project. Year 1 has really sucked. But I'm hoping once I get PTO, years 2-20 will be a lot better as long as I don't ever have to deal with customer service again. Adjust your expectations now and avoid the frustration of forever being disappointed.

I recently ordered a Model 3. I hope the car side is better than the Energy side. With the latest round of price increases, other EV brands are looking more attractive. If they are actually available.

Any financing options better than Tesla financing at 10 years, 5.24% APR?
I am looking at installing solar roof in Houston sometime this summer and the total cost comes out to around 250K.
Has it went up to 5.24? Tesla said I’m locked in. But I’ll believe it after it’s installed and I’m making payments.

I had HOA approval pretty early in the process and sent them the letter but my account never reflected it was done until after installation. When dealing with Tesla Energy customer service you have to remember one basic rule... you can never lower your expectations enough. Thier technology and products seem to be very good, their customer service is the exact opposite. This is how they save money. You can find PA's that are good, but they just don't have enough time to spend on any single customer. One time I called they connected me to a different PA and he was in my account updating all sorts of status my normal PA had not done. I look at this as a 20+ year project. Year 1 has really sucked. But I'm hoping once I get PTO, years 2-20 will be a lot better as long as I don't ever have to deal with customer service again. Adjust your expectations now and avoid the frustration of forever being disappointed.

I recently ordered a Model 3. I hope the car side is better than the Energy side. With the latest round of price increases, other EV brands are looking more attractive. If they are actually available.
I waited 6 months for my Y. I switched my order in April to the MYP. Finally got it in May. I love it. But it is like solar. Just like you said. They will not spend money on Customer service. No one will talk to you until they have something you need to approve or sign. I looked at other brands while I was waiting. But either they weren’t available or the dealer was over charging for the vehicle. I saw a few used Audi E Tron’s going for $62,000 - $67,000. For a used EV. With low miles. If I’m going to over pay. I rather get new. So I waited. Like I’ll be waiting on my Install and PTO. 😆

I watched the Tesla install videos on Tesla’s website. When the Install the power wall it can’t have anything less then 6 inches to the right and 2 inches to the left of the Powerwall. Also if you install in your garage. You have to have a clear path for a vehicle to park. So on any wall. Will probably work. Since most Garage walls are at least a 10-12” back from were you will be parking. It’s good to know that Tesla has the install video’s. This was the first time I’ve actually looked at them. I honestly had two other
companies that I had talked to over the phone or by zoom. When deciding to get Solar. I had picked Tesla. Due to the cheaper price and the shorter loan term option. I figured I could pay it off in less than 10 years. Then focus on saving more for retirement. While knowing you hat I won’t have to worry about the cost of an Electric bill. That Ercot will be raising up. In the years to come. So they can fix the Texas grid. The other companies had a 30 year or 25 year loan option. One company said they had a lease program. I didn’t want to do that. Now that my assessment date is near. Tesla is email me reminder’s and sending text messages. I’m hoping for a install this year. I can wait on the PTO. I can’t wait on the FED interest hike’s.

Yep 5.24 still not that bad. I guess. I remember when Mortgage rates were 6-7%. We are back to the 2007 era for rates. Probably will be 8% for tesla solar loans in 4-5 month. Get it now. Refinance later.

I'm reading conflicting posts about Tesla Solar loan that when you payoff the whole amount, you will pay the full interest amount.
So if the 10 years loan, the full interest is say 20K, and you want to pay off after 2 years, you still have to pay the full 20K interest.
Wonder if anyone can confirm if it's the case.