Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, all gas appliances, and no AC backup, and pretty low home usage (less than 1 kWh per hour), with sun shining during the day during the off grid times.
I was thinking with out the AC running. The average home approximately at 2000sqft would use .6k an hour?
I have gas everything except for my AC. I plan to charge at work for half or 1/3 of my EV consumption. Idk

Thank you all for your help.
I’m asking Everything. I know Nothing about solar. I only understand Basic electricity. Because of my Career and family. I know a little. I’m just trying to get a good idea of what I expect to get from this Solar System. For a 2700 sqft home with 1 Dual Zone AC unit. Ordering a 9.6Kw with 1 PW+ system. I’m learning a lot. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Lake Conroe, TX. 12x 320 Hanwha Q CELL panels, delta 3.8 inverter, 1 PW, -20KW/day summer. Signed 10/12/19, installed 11/20/19, PTO 12/5/19, Entergy charges .12/kWH, pays wholesale, .03/kWH for power sent back to grid, so set to self power most of time.

Gas heat, dryer etc. 3 days off grid during Feb 21 Freeze no problem. 1 day off grid withSept 20 hurricane, no central air, but ran a window AC in bedroom and fans.

Off grid much of spring and fall with no AC and dump most excess solar to Model 3.
Just to clarify. Your solar system is 3.8kw with 1 PW? What is the size of the home? In sqft?
I figured adding my MYP to my current usage it would go up by 800-1000 KWh’s for the year. I plan to charge at work.
Thanks.

I was thinking with out the AC running. The average home approximately at 2000sqft would use .6k an hour?
I have gas everything except for my AC. I plan to charge at work for half or 1/3 of my EV consumption. Idk

There is no such thing as "the average home uses X". There are too many variables to even attempt to make a statement like that. Your home run rate is extremely specific. It wont even be the same as someone else who lives in the exact same floor plan in a track home, because there will be different numbers of people and contents in the home.

Reactions: Jones1
There is no such thing as "the average home uses X". There are too many variables to even attempt to make a statement like that. Your home run rate is extremely specific. It wont even be the same as someone else who lives in the exact same floor plan in a track home, because there will be different numbers of people and contents in the home.
Thanks. I guess I will have to go with Tesla’s estimate. I have already signed the contracts. I believe it’s the best deal. I have a couple of other bids. I have looked over. But there different type of panels and they all wanted me to get 2 Powerwalls at $34,000-$36,000. For the Powerwalls. I believe they were $15,000 -$16,000 for 1. The size of there systems varied but both of them if I could recall. Was larger than 9.6kw. I believe they wanted me to go with 10.4kwh

So, all gas appliances, and no AC backup, and pretty low home usage (less than 1 kWh per hour), with sun shining during the day during the off grid
Yes sun needs to be shining to be off grid in spring and fall. Use a lot of grid power in summer. New energy star refrigerator, AC set to 79 -80, LED lights. I wish I had more solar in the summer.

Attachments

• B15FB2A3-F52D-4161-8888-3B94AC8A9C4A.png
    B15FB2A3-F52D-4161-8888-3B94AC8A9C4A.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 0BF59BDF-D0C2-4735-94EC-E2FED39D13FF.png
    0BF59BDF-D0C2-4735-94EC-E2FED39D13FF.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 47B936D8-3326-4F81-A75F-A6B83A6BF15A.png
    47B936D8-3326-4F81-A75F-A6B83A6BF15A.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 67
My strategy for Solar was to be able to have a 'zero' eclectic bill over the span of a year (or pretty close). To be able to withstand routine grid outages without impact. Outages of a few hours or so. To have some excess production to charge a future EV. To be able to run essential loads plus some AC for comfort in the event of a long-term outage like a hurricane (5-7 days).

I have a 3,400 SF home with 2 AC systems. I installed a Sense energy monitor a few months before I got into this so I know exactly what my house is consuming at any given second. I can see when the AC's kick in, the dryer is running, the always on loads etc. My AC's use 1,700 watts and 2,300 watts each. Often they are on at the same time. This obviously is very dependent on the outside temperature. In April right after install, the 2 PW's would run the house all night even with the AC set to normal temps. But right now I'm only getting ~6 hrs of PW time after sundown. If a hurricane hit this summer I'd have enough PW to get the house through the night with shutting off one AC and increasing the temp on the other (the smaller unit cools the bedrooms). And I can monitor the home usage and shut it down if the PW gets too low. This is an exceptional situation and I discussed it with my wife so she has her expectations set. So for us the 14.8Kw/2PW system I think will meet all those needs. I expect in the winter I will be able to get through the night with 2 PWs. We have gas furnace, as long as we are out of AC season we can make it. Tesla says we have 6-7 days of whole home backup. Take that with a huge grain of salt. It is meaningless because it is not taking the highest consumption into account. I think they are just doing some simple calculation based on your annual electricity usage from the electric bill you provided. In the summer you will have several hours of whole home backup. In the winter you will have significantly more.

I have a co-worker who went with 4 PWs so regardless of the time of year they can run the house as needed over night and not worry about it. He has 16Kw of production and sometimes has difficulty getting the PW's fully charged if it is not a good solar day. He spent $65k, I spent $48K (pre tax break).

I added ~2Kw to my roof after the first design. It only took maybe 2 weeks to get the updated design. Not a big time impact. If you have a 12Kw system but only 1 PW you will be exporting more to the grid. A second PW now will be cheaper than one later. I think they give you a discount on the PW labor if you do them at the same time.

It is hard to get it just right until you have the system and live with it for a while. I'm new to this too. But I've never seen anyone on here complain that they have too much production or battery. I've seen many people add to their system. I thought about a 3rd PW but I was hitting my top budget already. I did spend a little to add more production and I'm glad I did. I was also hoping in the future that I may be able to use an EV battery to augment my PWs in a Zombie Apocalypse scenario. Maybe in a few years that will be more possible, but with the exception of the F-150 Lightning this doesn't really exist yet.

Long post.. but just be sure to understand your strategy (seems you do) for Solar, but I would not want to have to make a change after the system is installed. Making changes like more PV or a 2nd PW won't add a lot of time to the process. But you do want to get the system installed before the end of the year to get the current 26% tax credit. It drops to 22% 1 Jan.

My strategy for Solar was to be able to have a 'zero' eclectic bill over the span of a year (or pretty close). To be able to withstand routine grid outages without impact. Outages of a few hours or so. To have some excess production to charge a future EV. To be able to run essential loads plus some AC for comfort in the event of a long-term outage like a hurricane (5-7 days).

I have a 3,400 SF home with 2 AC systems. I installed a Sense energy monitor a few months before I got into this so I know exactly what my house is consuming at any given second. I can see when the AC's kick in, the dryer is running, the always on loads etc. My AC's use 1,700 watts and 2,300 watts each. Often they are on at the same time. This obviously is very dependent on the outside temperature. In April right after install, the 2 PW's would run the house all night even with the AC set to normal temps. But right now I'm only getting ~6 hrs of PW time after sundown. If a hurricane hit this summer I'd have enough PW to get the house through the night with shutting off one AC and increasing the temp on the other (the smaller unit cools the bedrooms). And I can monitor the home usage and shut it down if the PW gets too low. This is an exceptional situation and I discussed it with my wife so she has her expectations set. So for us the 14.8Kw/2PW system I think will meet all those needs. I expect in the winter I will be able to get through the night with 2 PWs. We have gas furnace, as long as we are out of AC season we can make it. Tesla says we have 6-7 days of whole home backup. Take that with a huge grain of salt. It is meaningless because it is not taking the highest consumption into account. I think they are just doing some simple calculation based on your annual electricity usage from the electric bill you provided. In the summer you will have several hours of whole home backup. In the winter you will have significantly more.

I have a co-worker who went with 4 PWs so regardless of the time of year they can run the house as needed over night and not worry about it. He has 16Kw of production and sometimes has difficulty getting the PW's fully charged if it is not a good solar day. He spent $65k, I spent $48K (pre tax break).

I added ~2Kw to my roof after the first design. It only took maybe 2 weeks to get the updated design. Not a big time impact. If you have a 12Kw system but only 1 PW you will be exporting more to the grid. A second PW now will be cheaper than one later. I think they give you a discount on the PW labor if you do them at the same time.

It is hard to get it just right until you have the system and live with it for a while. I'm new to this too. But I've never seen anyone on here complain that they have too much production or battery. I've seen many people add to their system. I thought about a 3rd PW but I was hitting my top budget already. I did spend a little to add more production and I'm glad I did. I was also hoping in the future that I may be able to use an EV battery to augment my PWs in a Zombie Apocalypse scenario. Maybe in a few years that will be more possible, but with the exception of the F-150 Lightning this doesn't really exist yet.

Long post.. but just be sure to understand your strategy (seems you do) for Solar, but I would not want to have to make a change after the system is installed. Making changes like more PV or a 2nd PW won't add a lot of time to the process. But you do want to get the system installed before the end of the year to get the current 26% tax credit. It drops to 22% 1 Jan.
Thank you for the Detailed information. I like you were hoping that the CyberTruck not the Ford. Would come out with a V2H or V2L. That way it could be part of a home backup. I’m probably like 200,000 on the preorder list. Also Tesla may not incorporate anything like that in the CyberTruck. I will be ok if I only can run. Lights , outlets and small portable AC over night. While the grid power is out. But I do plan on getting another EV. So that was the reason I bumped up the Solar to a 12kw system. To future proof.

I will consider 2 Powerwalls now. I was thinking with the 12kw we would get money back from exporting to the grid ? So that what help with the cost of the Solar system ?
Would it not be a benefit to give back to the grid with a buyback plan like from MP2?

Listening to people like you that have solar or have experience with solar is very helpful.

I also feel. That right now. The cost may seem high to me and others. Compared to just paying an electric bill. Keeping a gas portable generator. Just in case the power goes out. I’m currently in my late 30’s. I’m at the point in my life when you realize. 5-10 years later. Prices at the current state. Will seem cheap. So I do want to get this right. This is a big decision to make. When you make it for your family. My wife will be okay with whatever I do. But like someone else point out. You don’t want your family asking you questions. Like. “ I thought we had Solar dad? Why is it dark in the house?” 😆

I just put my order in with Tesla on 5/19. Approved there design that after noon. Tesla set up a home site Assume they for 6/21 if I add another Powerwall now. With keeping the same Solar array. I wonder if that will push me back? I do like how my layout only has panels on the rear of the house. Will a 9.6 kw system charge fill 2 13.5kwh PW’s daily?
I’m asking anyone.
Thanks

Yeah, they should charge fine on a sunny day, depending on how much energy your house is using. Our usually fully charge up by around noon even or 1PM at the latest on each side. 1 side is like 11kW of panels and 2 PWs, and the other is like 10kW of panels and 2 PWs, both charge by then and for the rest of the day any excess solar is sold back to our utility, PEC.

Yeah, they should charge fine on a sunny day, depending on how much energy your house is using. Our usually fully charge up by around noon even or 1PM at the latest on each side. 1 side is like 11kW of panels and 2 PWs, and the other is like 10kW of panels and 2 PWs, both charge by then and for the rest of the day any excess solar is sold back to our utility, PEC.
Are you getting a 1 for 1 buy back? Price wise? If you had to pay .12 are they buying it back for .12? What might be the best company to do this with. Tesla Suggested MP2. They appear to have better rates when I use the link from my Documents that Tesla sent me. It was .12 using the link and .14 not using the link from Tesla. Just going straight to MP2 website.
Anyone can answer. I appreciate it. Thanks

Are you getting a 1 for 1 buy back? Price wise? If you had to pay .12 are they buying it back for .12? What might be the best company to do this with. Tesla Suggested MP2. They appear to have better rates when I use the link from my Documents that Tesla sent me. It was .12 using the link and .14 not using the link from Tesla. Just going straight to MP2 website.
Anyone can answer. I appreciate it. Thanks

Nah, where we are we pay 9 cents, and they buyback for 5 cents.

If you can find a 1 for 1, thats great still. Texas is a net metering voluntary state so companies don't have to do it at all, may go away someday but likely 50% or so seems to be what most are going to.

Can't help on the electric choice here, we don't get a choice so hopefully others can provide some ideas - enjoy and good luck!

This is my first Tesla. I’m guessing my yearly kWh charge would be from 5000-9000kwh. It depends on the parking garage I’m able to park at. When I get to work.

What is the your average home kWh charging?
Anyone?
I know it will vary.
Thanks

I just got off the phone with Tesla Solar. I had to request they update my new Solar Agreement and Retail Contract. With my new purchase price. It seems like this will be a long wait. To get Solar installed from Tesla. It is faster to communicate by calling Tesla and waiting on hood for 15-30min. Vs emails and text. I hope I glean get the system installed before the end of the year. The SA told me that the longest wait period is after install. Waiting for PTO. I was also told. To switch my retail electric provider on the day of install. Idk. That way it is good to go after Centerpoint gives the approval to turn on.

Wow. I have a neighbor on my Facebook neighbor group. Who had a install scheduled for August. Tesla called them last week. They wanted to install this week. Crazy.
When do you order?
I ordered in March. After a few weeks they said everything was done and waiting on install, about six weeks later I got an install date for June13,14. Then a couple weeks later they pulled it saying the plans were not complete. A week or so later those plans we’re done and I waited on a new install. They then gave me June 16, 17 and yesterday I got a message saying the interconnection team has pulled me off the schedule.

Wow. I have a neighbor on my Facebook neighbor group. Who had a install scheduled for August. Tesla called them last week. They wanted to install this week. Crazy.
When do you order?
They probably had a opening pop up. People cancel or delay meaning these occur. I had a service appointment come up a month early and I took it even through I was on vacation.