Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm reading conflicting posts about Tesla Solar loan that when you payoff the whole amount, you will pay the full interest amount.
So if the 10 years loan, the full interest is say 20K, and you want to pay off after 2 years, you still have to pay the full 20K interest.
Wonder if anyone can confirm if it's the case.
I haven’t made a payment yet. I have only read and signed the retail installment agreement. It states that you can pay early and reduce your total finance charge. APR on remaining balance. Here is the first line.

1655601811108.png

1655602071361.png

Reactions: EL0NTRK
Currently I’m having my Site Survey done by Tesla. My wife is home. I’m at work. I was told that my PW could be installed by a plug or my Circuit panel. As long at it’s 31 inches of space. The PW is 29 inches. My first selection to place the PW is about 35 inches. Hopefully the installer’s will be able to make that work.

The Site Survey guy. Said that all conduit install locations are defaulted to the exterior. He said I would have to request that the conduit or EMT be installed in the attic. He said the price will go up. If they had gave me a price for exterior EMT install.

The site survey guy. Told my wife that Tesla Solar will probably get back to me on an update or full layout of the design detail’s. I’m about 6 weeks. Then I would schedule install. Hopefully I can get it installed this year. Idk.

Currently I’m having my Site Survey done by Tesla. My wife is home. I’m at work. I was told that my PW could be installed by a plug or my Circuit panel. As long at it’s 31 inches of space. The PW is 29 inches. My first selection to place the PW is about 35 inches. Hopefully the installer’s will be able to make that work.

The connection to the load panel comes out of the left side of the PW while facing the PW. On the right side is the on/off switch. They need room on the left to attach the conduit.

The Site Survey guy. Said that all conduit install locations are defaulted to the exterior. He said I would have to request that the conduit or EMT be installed in the attic. He said the price will go up. If they had gave me a price for exterior EMT install.

I only got mine run through the attic because the installers made the case to Tesla that it would be cheaper. That was due to the straight shot through my attic. If you want it to go through the attic make it an easy shot and discuss it with the Roof team lead as soon as they arrive. If they run it over the roof they are supposed to paint it so it blends. It probably won't be as visible as you think.

Reactions: Jones1
The connection to the load panel comes out of the left side of the PW while facing the PW. On the right side is the on/off switch. They need room on the left to attach the conduit.

I only got mine run through the attic because the installers made the case to Tesla that it would be cheaper. That was due to the straight shot through my attic. If you want it to go through the attic make it an easy shot and discuss it with the Roof team lead as soon as they arrive. If they run it over the roof they are supposed to paint it so it blends. It probably won't be as visible as you think.

Just got my HOA approval to install Solar and their only requirement was to have the conduit match the color of the house. Tesla said they'd do it as long as I provide the paint.

Just got my HOA approval to install Solar and their only requirement was to have the conduit match the color of the house. Tesla said they'd do it as long as I provide the paint.
I don’t think my POA required my EMT to be painted but that is a good idea. Most of my home is brick. But I can get it painted the same color as the wood or hardy plank.

Today I got a message in my account. To accept design. Around 8 am. I accepted the design. Then about 6 hours later. I got a call from Tesla telling me that they have permit from center point and all is good. That I will setup install soon. Then they told me to sign a document. In my account. I told them I didn’t have any else available to sign. They put me on hold. When they came back. They told me they will make a note saying. I accepted. Idk. That they have had a few problems today with sending documents to get signed. Then I asked when will I be able to schedule install? How long will it take for install to actually happen? Also will I schedule install by phone? Within the app or the website? They told me not to worry that I’ll be able to set up an install date soon. They said install setup. I would get a text message. Then I would schedule install through the website just like when you schedule to pick up your Tesla. I guess I’ll be calling or contacting them next week to find out if everything is still on schedule. The guy also told me that it would be about three months before I can get my solar system installed. They Tesla rep asked me. Have I signed up with a Net Metering company yet? I told him no. I was told by them to wait until I get an installed date. The rep told me to sign up now. Don’t wait. Rates are going up. So I got on MP2(Shell) website and yes. The rates had went up by .04 since I had last checked. I signed up with them. A 60 month plan. It could be a big mistake. Idk. It was a knee jerk reaction. My current reliant plan is cheaper. I could of stayed with reliant until I got the install. I will be paying. 15.7 cents instead of 11-12 cents. The only other plan they had was a EV charging plan. That was 21.7 cents and free between 12am -3am. They are all buy back plans. But I won’t be able to use the plan and benefit from it. Until I hat Solar and PTO. Smh.

Last edited:
I live in the San Antonio area and I tried ordering Tesla Solar a few weeks ago. Tesla's website listed "We don't serve this area currently. Reserve solar and Powerwall below to be notified when available." I found out from a couple of friends that they received the same message when they put in their address. Anyone know why Tesla isn't providing solar in the SA area?

I live in the San Antonio area and I tried ordering Tesla Solar a few weeks ago. Tesla's website listed "We don't serve this area currently. Reserve solar and Powerwall below to be notified when available." I found out from a couple of friends that they received the same message when they put in their address. Anyone know why Tesla isn't providing solar in the SA area?
They probably don’t have any install crews in the area. You can still get a solar + powerwalls setup but it’ll have to be via 3rd party.

They did when I ordered mine so something must have changed. I haven't been on the site in a while so I need to take a look at that.

Final panels installed. I have 37 400W panels. Of note is that the original drawing had the panels just sitting right at the level of that lower plumbing vent. The roof crew shifted them up probably 3 feet or more. In the very late evening the shadow line from the house next to me starts creeping up the bottom of my roof. This gives me a little more sun on that lower row. They also modified row 2 and 3. By the end of the day the new arrangement was already showing on my Telsa solar page.
interesting. My install was about a year ago and my only record of the updated design is a pic I took off the hand-drawn pic on cardboard by the lead installer. Never updated on the Tesla Solar page…

interesting. My install was about a year ago and my only record of the updated design is a pic I took off the hand-drawn pic on cardboard by the lead installer. Never updated on the Tesla Solar page…
You should ask for an updated/as-built 3-line drawing for your system. Afterall it will be on your house for years and if you ever want to have a third party do anything to it, you need the as-built drawing. They would have updated it to reflect their own records and probably what they submitted to your electric company.

You should ask for an updated/as-built 3-line drawing for your system. Afterall it will be on your house for years and if you ever want to have a third party do anything to it, you need the as-built drawing. They would have updated it to reflect their own records and probably what they submitted to your electric company.
I have that actually. Got it as part of the utility PTO. But Tesla never updated the simple image on their site…