Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, the way I do it, is to be in self-powered mode, till 9pm and switch to time based. Then, 7am switch it back to self-powered. I wrote a c#/.net app and it scheduled on a pc so I don't have to manually switch. I need to add the storm alert mode to be disabled till 9pm to prevent the grid charging. Also, looking at seeing if the grid charging option can be turned on/off via the API so then I have better control there. Not sure how the AI is doing the grid charging but so far it's behaved for me and charges 100%. It might be the different peak/off peak/super peak settings...

I'm just using one since I go to self power at 7am, using super off peak (9pm-7am) buy=.01 and sell blank.

hope this might help...
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.
So with mine set to peak and 0.00 off peak and time based mode, mine starts charging to 100% every night exact when off peak occurs. Which isn’t helpful because then I start the solar day with way to much in the batteries. (Since my strategy is never push to the grid). So my strategy so far has been to use grid charge in time based on weeks like this where it’s all rain and clouds and little solar. Then self powered mode all the other time.

I’ve never had it grid charge during peak times except the one time last week when I had a storm watch event. I wish I had more control over how much it charges.

Reactions: Jones1
So with mine set to peak and 0.00 off peak and time based mode, mine starts charging to 100% every night exact when off peak occurs. Which isn’t helpful because then I start the solar day with way to much in the batteries. (Since my strategy is never push to the grid). So my strategy so far has been to use grid charge in time based on weeks like this where it’s all rain and clouds and little solar. Then self powered mode all the other time.

I’ve never had it grid charge during peak times except the one time last week when I had a storm watch event. I wish I had more control over how much it charges.
These last couple of days it has switched to charging to 100% overnight (while it's free). It last enough to go thru the day without drawing from the Grid even with the poor Solar production we have. I think it keys in on temperature to assume you'd run the heat and need more power. Because last time when we had no sun but temp stayed more reasonable it didn't top-off the night before. We are at it's whim though, so just got to keep observing what it does.

These last couple of days it has switched to charging to 100% overnight (while it's free). It last enough to go thru the day without drawing from the Grid even with the poor Solar production we have. I think it keys in on temperature to assume you'd run the heat and need more power. Because last time when we had no sun but temp stayed more reasonable it didn't top-off the night before. We are at it's whim though, so just got to keep observing what it does.
Strange mine charges to 100% if grid charging is turned on period. The next day can be zero clouds 75 degrees and high UV index and the night before it will charge to 100%. I feel like mine isn’t “thinking” at all just ok 8pm grid charge to full and hold it until 6am.

So maybe there’s something not setup right with mine. If I don’t turn off grid charge or switch to self powered it always charges up to full. Which is why I keep having to turn grid off and on. Hmm it took Tesla two months to get my EV charging setting fixed idk if I even want to bother asking about this. I really don’t have the time to deal with Tesla again. 😂

Strange mine charges to 100% if grid charging is turned on period. The next day can be zero clouds 75 degrees and high UV index and the night before it will charge to 100%. I feel like mine isn’t “thinking” at all just ok 8pm grid charge to full and hold it until 6am.

So maybe there’s something not setup right with mine. If I don’t turn off grid charge or switch to self powered it always charges up to full. Which is why I keep having to turn grid off and on. Hmm it took Tesla two months to get my EV charging setting fixed idk if I even want to bother asking about this. I really don’t have the time to deal with Tesla again. 😂
What’s the name of the setting for EV charging PW? Anyone have a screenshot of it. I won’t to message Tesla. To request it.

What’s the name of the setting for EV charging PW? Anyone have a screenshot of it. I won’t to message Tesla. To request it.
It’s just called EV charging. They argued with me for months saying that it was not a real setting. So stay persistent as usual with Tesla. Haha

Attachments

• 3FBD24BD-5592-4B8F-8DF0-A46E7CAD2F31.png
    3FBD24BD-5592-4B8F-8DF0-A46E7CAD2F31.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 74
  • E89520E2-1BF2-4654-A97E-CDACCBF2BF87.jpeg
    E89520E2-1BF2-4654-A97E-CDACCBF2BF87.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 30
We definitely need a third party app for the PW. Just like Charge HQ. I’m amazed at how well the Solar and PW system works. But it’s definitely lacking the options that I would like. Yes it’s better than the competition. Obviously.
Unless you can set up a IFTTT. Then you are left with moving the sliders left and right all day. 😆

We definitely need a third party app for the PW. Just like Charge HQ. I’m amazed at how well the Solar and PW system works. But it’s definitely lacking the options that I would like. Yes it’s better than the competition. Obviously.
Unless you can set up a IFTTT. Then you are left with moving the sliders left and right all day. 😆

I guess it's supposed to be set and forget it...but the AI is a bit off so that's why I created a c#/.NET app using the Tesla API but it does requires a PC so it can be scheduled to run at certain times. I can change different options (backup percentage, operating mode and storm mode) probably could do more but for now I just need these simple options changed.

I started to think about trying to use weather data to adjust how much to charge the PW then send the rest to the grid but not sure I want to spend that much time on it.

Reactions: wiltoking
I generated 4.8 today. Grid charged to 100 last night. Picked up the new M3 today and put 10kw in it from Powerwall that added to the house usage the powerwalls hit 22% at 8 when my free night kicked in.

Got my second Reliant bill and looks like 6 dollars a month is going to be pretty steady.

I generated 4.8 today. Grid charged to 100 last night. Picked up the new M3 today and put 10kw in it from Powerwall that added to the house usage the powerwalls hit 22% at 8 when my free night kicked in.

Got my second Reliant bill and looks like 6 dollars a month is going to be pretty steady.
Congrats on the new M3! Pricing is just too good to pass up now! What color did you get?

I played around with my Nest settings yesterday and it ended up using to much heat today I think. Going back to how I had it which should let me make it thru tomorrow on PW only.

My December bill from Amigo was $95! Looking forward to the next bill with Solar installed :D

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Congrats on the new M3! Pricing is just too good to pass up now! What color did you get?

I played around with my Nest settings yesterday and it ended up using to much heat today I think. Going back to how I had it which should let me make it thru tomorrow on PW only.

My December bill from Amigo was $95! Looking forward to the next bill with Solar installed :D
Thanks! We got blue and once I get my MS back from the shop I think it will look good next to the gray. Yeah with the price drop and credit I was like yeah let’s go ahead and go full EV.

I just think I’m getting the most out solar as possible. Yeah I will be paying a relatively big payment for the solar + powerwalls but it seems like an absolute steal when you look at it as that price is basically
1) Electric Bill
2) a gas generator payment (which I looked into)
3) gasoline for both of my cars

Congratulations on the M3. $6 is amazing.