Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Install Timeline + Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the utility said "turn it on" - go outside and turn it on. I mean, some people don't even wait for "PTO" - especially since often the entire installation is inspected already. In my case "PTO" means you get the upgraded meter which keeps track of the credits for sending power back, but the system "worked" immediately after it was installed and certainly "worked" after it was inspected.

Its not Tesla who decides whether it can be turned on, its the utility.

That is if, and only if, your utility said you have PTO and you believe whoever said that.

If "..... verified they sent Tesla PTO" means they sent Tesla some form to fill out, then maybe you don't have PTO.

In my case I was waiting for the new meter to be official. The day LADWP installed it I turned it on. I actually got the text from Tesla the next day but its not as if I was going to wait for that!

Sheesh, its like an episode of "Get Smart."

Problem is - Tesla has to activate the solar system. I turned it on, and it does nothing.
Sheesh, it's like an episode of "Get Smart"

We have PG&E out here and first got an email from them saying we had PTO. We contacted Tesla to share the news and waited for them for like a day or two I think but I think PG&E said we could turn our system on. Have to look for our email. Can’t remember if Tesla had to come out or just said go ahead and turn on. I wonder if you should try calling the “after install” phone number. Sounds like you’re floating in the system. Maybe the financing added another layer of contacts to get lost in.

I called and got to their "activation line" They said they cant see the PTO. Tesla is a black hole of confusion and apathy, I get the sense none of their employees give a rats ass to be honest.

Problem is - Tesla has to activate the solar system. I turned it on, and it does nothing.
Sheesh, it's like an episode of "Get Smart"

There isnt anything for tesla to "activate" on your system to physically turn it on. There might be, for you to see it in the app, but not for you to actually turn it on.

Some of the confusion you might be reading from some of us in your situation is, there is no "activation" for physically turning the system on. You could need a new meter or something, but thats not tesla, but the utility. If the utility told you that you have PTO, that means you have everything physically in place to turn it on.

Even if you cant see it in the app, you should be able to turn it on physically. Maybe you should create a separate thread and take some pictures of your inverter and electrical panel, and we can help you figure out if you can physically turn it on?

As for "I get the sense that no one at tesla gives a rats behind", sorry you have had that experience, it does not mirror any experience I have had with them, including the recent service issue I had this very week. With that being said, customer service is very hit or miss, and tesla cycles through people fast (seems to burn them out) so many of them seem new.

Anyway, maybe we can help you figure out how to physically turn it on, or maybe you can call the tesla energy support line (not activations etc) and see if they can help?

There isnt anything for tesla to "activate" on your system to physically turn it on. There might be, for you to see it in the app, but not for you to actually turn it on.

Some of the confusion you might be reading from some of us in your situation is, there is no "activation" for physically turning the system on. You could need a new meter or something, but thats not tesla, but the utility. If the utility told you that you have PTO, that means you have everything physically in place to turn it on.

Even if you cant see it in the app, you should be able to turn it on physically. Maybe you should create a separate thread and take some pictures of your inverter and electrical panel, and we can help you figure out if you can physically turn it on?

As for "I get the sense that no one at tesla gives a rats behind", sorry you have had that experience, it does not mirror any experience I have had with them, including the recent service issue I had this very week. With that being said, customer service is very hit or miss, and tesla cycles through people fast (seems to burn them out) so many of them seem new.

Anyway, maybe we can help you figure out how to physically turn it on, or maybe you can call the tesla energy support line (not activations etc) and see if they can help?
Jrandorin is correct. I already had the app because I had a Model 3. The solar system showed up in the app the day it was installed.

When it was inspected a week or so later by LA building and safety, they turned it on and I could see it in the app, then it was turned off.

Turning it on is flipping some switches on the inverters and in the main panel and any switching panels. In my case, for example, with Powerwalls, mind you, "Turning it on" = 3 powerwall on off switches, 3 subpanel switches, 2 inverter switches, 3 more subpanels switches, and the switches inside the Gateway 2.

None of that involves Tesla at all.

Jrandorin is correct. I already had the app because I had a Model 3. The solar system showed up in the app the day it was installed.

When it was inspected a week or so later by LA building and safety, they turned it on and I could see it in the app, then it was turned off.

Turning it on is flipping some switches on the inverters and in the main panel and any switching panels. In my case, for example, with Powerwalls, mind you, "Turning it on" = 3 powerwall on off switches, 3 subpanel switches, 2 inverter switches, 3 more subpanels switches, and the switches inside the Gateway 2.

None of that involves Tesla at all.

So my system is installed, I have everything on, the Solaredge WaveHD inverters are solid green and I have no errors or lights on my small black box gateway. Nothing is showing up in my app, and my smart meter shows "0000000" for energy put back to the grid and the little flow icons never move right to left.

I called the Tesla Solar # 888.765.2489 (press 2 for solar, then press 4 to activate your system) so yes, they indeed have an activation hot line, try it yourself. I spoke with a woman who told me they do not see the PTO that PSEG swears they sent a few days ago and cant activate without it. I thanked her and hung up.

I'm only left with a few ways to think about it -

a) Tesla has to activate something.
b) My system is not installed correctly and isn't producing.
c) Tesla has no idea whats going on and really doesn't care because they have the money.

Unfortunately nobody at Tesla can get back to me or help me so it's got to be C

Update for those interested - again called the activation line w/ my PTO that had PSEG forward to me.

Turns out my install team didn't register my gateway we registered my gateway, activated my system and I immediately got this email alert

Your System Requires Service​
Our monitoring team has detected an issue with your system that requires service. Schedule service in your Tesla mobile app.
Steps to Schedule:
  1. Open the app and view the home page for your energy system
  2. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Service"
  3. On the "Select Service" page, select your system's issue under the "Alert(s)" category
  4. Click "Next," and proceed.
Questions?
Email [email protected]

Soonest a tech can come to me is 6/22. There is NO WAY the install crew confirmed the systems operation or checked anything.

Tesla is a complete and total disaster, I'm so sorry I chose them.

特斯拉太陽能產品......在台灣的高雄市,什麼時候可以購買安裝?
還有,Tesla Model phone Pi 什麼時候會在臺灣上市?

因為,蘋果為了更大的利益犧牲用戶,合理懷疑三星也會為了兌換數億人口市場的入場卷......,所以在得知Tesla. 從那個強盜聚集地活著出來之後,相信伊隆.馬斯克 先生 應該能理解我上述內容所基於的感受(在遵守網路禮儀的基本規範之下,實在找不出能夠完整詮釋“這種感受”的詞彙!)