Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla solar installed today. Can I turn on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Tesla solar system 12.6 kw installed today. The run the test everything is good. It will take 30-45 days for electric company to come and switch net meter. Can I just turn on the switch outside or will that be issue

There are 2 worst case scenarios that come to mind:
* Electric company needs to upgrade a local transformer to support your usage, local solar production causes an early demise. (Very slim chance, but your liability is not zero).
* Electric company bills you for solar back feed as if you had consumed it, not netting it. This has happened for some people, causing an unfair large bill until PTO.

The Tesla gateway has a pre-PTO mode that limits your back feed to zero, but if you have only solar, I don't know if the system is capable of that.

Be careful with the advice above. If there are service people working on the lines there could also be a safety issue if you're exporting to the grid
I don’t think I can export to the grid yet because I don’t have the net meter in place. The Tesla guy told me first they gonna have inspection from town then electric company will come and put the net meter.

do you have power wall(s) ?
if so as stated above you can turn off main service breaker (to grid) and "island" you system . zero chance of exporting if you are a zero risk person like me
if you like to live dangerous . . you can just switch it all on and export / claim ignorance if anyone calls you out on it 😝 i personally would not do this even though chance of issues very low but i think the risk vs reward not good .. but to each their own

I don’t think I can export to the grid yet because I don’t have the net meter in place. The Tesla guy told me first they gonna have inspection from town then electric company will come and put the net meter.
This is most likely the 2nd case then - you /can/ export, but the meter will see it as if you were consuming it, so you get charged for what should be a credit.

do you have power wall(s) ?
if so as stated above you can turn off main service breaker (to grid) and "island" you system . zero chance of exporting if you are a zero risk person like me
if you like to live dangerous . . you can just switch it all on and export / claim ignorance if anyone calls you out on it 😝 i personally would not do this even though chance of issues very low but i think the risk vs reward not good .. but to each their own
Thanks I don’t have a power wall just solar panels

Thanks I don’t have a power wall just solar panels
with just solar unless there is a setting in the tesla to prevent export to grid (i'm not familiar with non pW tesla systems) it would be difficult to not export .. you would have to run the pv (panels) only when your household consumption is higher than you pv production (not very practical) and you cannot shut off main grid breaker since your pv would not function then

Reactions: giran99
with just solar unless there is a setting in the tesla to prevent export to grid (i'm not familiar with non pW tesla systems) it would be difficult to not export .. you would have to run the pv (panels) only when your household consumption is higher than you pv production (not very practical) and you cannot shut off main grid breaker since your pv would not function then
I had mine running for months, exporting, before I got PTO. Of course, no credit for what I sent to the grid

Hi
Tesla solar system 12.6 kw installed today. The run the test everything is good. It will take 30-45 days for electric company to come and switch net meter. Can I just turn on the switch outside or will that be issue

The answer to this is "You are not supposed to".

Whether you will get in trouble or suffer some consequence for doing so, depends on your specific utility, but you are not supposed to, and with no powerwalls, there is no way to prevent feeding back to the grid on a tesla install, so "no, you shouldnt".

Reactions: giran99
That is definitely more of a guideline than a rule. I turned my on immediately and ran it for 3 weeks before my provider showed up. No one said anything to me.
It is definitely a rule and a contractual agreement in most Net Energy Metering agreements. That being said, apparently my breaker was turned on for months between install date and PTO. No one said anything to me either. I did try to charge my Tesla as much as possible when the sun was shining.

Reactions: giran99 and h2ofun
With Tesla Inverters I understand there to be a mode that does not export PV power. It simply uses CT to measure the home load and only inverts enough AC power to satisfy that demand. If all appliances in the home are off and the demand is 0 then the inverter will effectively export nothing.

As to the OP question, its not a good idea to backfeed power unless you have PTO. Follow the rules, its only a small amount of power wasted until you can turn things on correctly.