Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar inverters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like per the usual, the big failing of Tesla in general is just their communication.

Yeah, at some point you would think it would cost them enough money that they would fix the communication issues. Here, they had two inverters routed to the job site. In my case, they installed the wrong panels, then had to pay a crew to come out a second time to install the correct panels at a later date. I had to have my design redone several times due to miscommunications internally, so extra hours charged by the engineers. All that adds up over time, and I can’t imagine our cases were that unusual.

The major problem I had with the solar project. (I just signed) was that the actual products are not stated in the contract. I think this part of the problem. There needs to be an invoice of what is included. Not just "Solar Install $xxxxx. Powerwall $xxxxxx" It needs to say, in Detail things like :

1 8000w SolarEdge HD Wave Solar Inverter, or Enphase, or Delta, etc.
10 315 Watt LG Panels (Whatever Model), etc.
1 Powerwall 2, etc.
things like that.

That can all be verified on delivery by the install team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Az_Rael
The major problem I had with the solar project. (I just signed) was that the actual products are not stated in the contract. I think this part of the problem. There needs to be an invoice of what is included. Not just "Solar Install $xxxxx. Powerwall $xxxxxx" It needs to say, in Detail things like :

1 8000w SolarEdge HD Wave Solar Inverter, or Enphase, or Delta, etc.
10 315 Watt LG Panels (Whatever Model), etc.
1 Powerwall 2, etc.
things like that.

That can all be verified on delivery by the install team.

If you ask your solar rep for the final equipment details, this will list out the model numbers for the panels, inverter, and mounting system. Mine was able to send me it without any issues since I had brought up my concern that the contract didn't have in writing the equipment details. I feel like other solar companies should have similar documentation that they can send you.

Installation is still underway. Only odd thing is that my inverter is getting installed outside on my east facing wall that's exposed to the sun vs down in my basement where my circuit breaker is.

Last edited:
If you ask your solar rep for the final equipment details, this will list out the model numbers for the panels, inverter, and mounting system. Mine was able to send me it without any issues since I had brought up my concern that the contract didn't have in writing the equipment details. I feel like other solar companies should have similar documentation that they can send you.

Installation is still underway. Only odd thing is that my inverter is getting installed outside on my east facing wall that's exposed to the sun vs down in my basement where my circuit breaker is.

To be fair, I've seen many youtube videos with inverters installed outside. The same goes with powerwalls. It isn't uncommon at all. I have an excellent place to mount both on a shaded external north wall but instructed them to put the powerwall in the basement instead due to winter temps.

To be fair, I've seen many youtube videos with inverters installed outside. The same goes with powerwalls. It isn't uncommon at all. I have an excellent place to mount both on a shaded external north wall but instructed them to put the powerwall in the basement instead due to winter temps.
my Omnion 2200 MPPT inverter, w/ 8 strings of +/- 186v has been outside, working since spring 1999

well, here in Florida, SW coast, 37 Q-Cell 315w panels with Enphase (6's or 7's) inverters, installed
(Q.Peak Duo-G5 315-330)
$31,000 cash or $34,000 financed, nice roof, no weirdness, 2/3 east 1/3 south side (lots of afternoon clouds etc).
(site survey next week to finalize stuff so numbers may change a bit)

11,655 Watts (which according to PV Watts PVWatts Calculator will get me 18,000 - 18,600kWh/yr, a bit of an overage
With a Tesla battery and a gateway, I can be a node in a VPP here perhaps

(i could add 1 more 315 and get 11,970, which is right under the 12,000 watts that Florida freaks out about and requires like 3x and more homeowners insurance upgrades so we don't form our own VPP's perhaps)

an interesting article about renewbles
‘There is no alternative to a world of 100% renewables’

I'm on the east side of town, out in the Buckingham area. Would you mind sharing who you ended up going with? I'd been holding off waiting on Tesla start installing in the area, but still want to get multiple quotes now that they're starting here.

Secondly on the 10kW limit here in FL, that just means a $400 one time application fee and roughly $100/yr for the additional insurance, right? At least that's about what I remember my insurance guy saying about a year ago. Did you come up with significantly different numbers?

I'm on the east side of town, out in the Buckingham area. Would you mind sharing who you ended up going with? I'd been holding off waiting on Tesla start installing in the area, but still want to get multiple quotes now that they're starting here.

Secondly on the 10kW limit here in FL, that just means a $400 one time application fee and roughly $100/yr for the additional insurance, right? At least that's about what I remember my insurance guy saying about a year ago. Did you come up with significantly different numbers?
Let me look up and get back
Also, apparently the 10kW limit may be ~12kW because there may be a 0.85% multiplier
We ran into solar installers at home show in Ft Myers
They have solar farm in Puerto Rico and are doing lots of micro installations there possibly w/batteries
I’m on phone w/o access to papers but I think windmer will look up tho

Let me look up and get back
Also, apparently the 10kW limit may be ~12kW because there may be a 0.85% multiplier
We ran into solar installers at home show in Ft Myers
They have solar farm in Puerto Rico and are doing lots of micro installations there possibly w/batteries
I’m on phone w/o access to papers but I think windmer will look up tho
Thanks! You're correct on the size limit, 10kW AC with a 0.85 multiplier, so 11.7 kW DC rating is the limit before insurance and application fees apply. Just to update the numbers my insurance guy quoted me about $370/yr for the insurance they want on larger systems. Guess I got some spreadsheet work to do.

Thanks! You're correct on the size limit, 10kW AC with a 0.85 multiplier, so 11.7 kW DC rating is the limit before insurance and application fees apply. Just to update the numbers my insurance guy quoted me about $370/yr for the insurance they want on larger systems. Guess I got some spreadsheet work to do.
I liked the company because I talked PV with the guy for an hour or so. I have been studying PV since early 1970’s.
He knew his stuff and was not a salesman selling widgets. Cosine of angle of incidence, “knee of IV curve” MPTT, normal incidence and a lotta acronyms. They did say hold off on power walls till 2019 as price still dropping but they are Tesla PW certified installers so confidence is high and it took 10 min to find and populate my roof

@Wubbles
Any update on your Tesla install? Is it operating yet? Are you happy with how it turned out?

Tesla is one of my top 2 choices, but only if I can ensure the SolarEdge inverter and specific 325W panel are specified in the final contract. Any advice on how to get that included in the final contract?

@Wubbles
Any update on your Tesla install? Is it operating yet? Are you happy with how it turned out?

Tesla is one of my top 2 choices, but only if I can ensure the SolarEdge inverter and specific 325W panel are specified in the final contract. Any advice on how to get that included in the final contract?

I'm still waiting for my utility company to come by and swap out my meter with a net one.

As for the panels. The guy I worked with laid out the different panel options so I was able to choose the 325 watt ones with no issue.

As far as inverters go. Just make it clear you'll only move forward with them with SolarEdge inverters because that's what you're being offered by their competitors. The equipment won't be reflected in the contract you sign. But there is a final system details sheet that will list out the exact model of inverters, panels, etc. being used. As long as it shows up there you should be good to go.