Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar inverters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Powerwall system is very solar agnostic. It just measures whatever production your solar is pushing into your electrical panel. The Powerwall Gateway is the tmhing that will be responsible for integrating with any future VPP.
@miimura
Thank you
I have read here and there about folks complain they got wrong inverter and needed replacement
(My array has an Omnion 2200 MPPT that has been chugging along since 1999 with only 2 diode replacement in inverter at +/- 186v legs)
Need upgrade
But in 19 years neighbors trees grew a lot and mcmansions sprouted, eh.
Powerwall gateway? More research
Thanks.
Local folks want $3/watt for 250's $4/watt for 330's for system price installed.
$30-$40,000. Way too steep it seems

US solar dealers get $3 to $5 per watt. DIY is cheaper.
Hard to say more without specifics of your site.
perfectly flat roof, no shade east side 23 degree tilt, could fit 36 regualr size
south side, zero shade, flat fit 10-15, sun from early am every day
west similar to east, but some shade Lat, Lon: 26.61, -81.94 (SW Florida)
east side better as afternoon rain every day during summer
$3-$5/watt !! sheesh

perfectly flat roof, no shade east side 23 degree tilt, could fit 36 regualr size
$3-$5/watt !! sheesh
It does help to get lots of different bids. You can probably get a better deal. Looks like a simple installation so should be easy.

$3-$5/watt !! sheesh

$2.50/w should be feasible. ~$1/w for DIY.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
What do you think about 11.65kw w/q cell 315's and enphase 7's?
Florida gets weird if the array is 12kW or greater?
The folks also do Tesla powerwalls and apparently have a massive PV farm in Puerto Rico and a lot of tiny Installations, like 1-2 panels for homes post hurricanes Irma and Maria, and said _a lot_ of available batteries are going in there.
If I want to be a node in a VPP, are those good enough inverters

$3-$5/watt !! sheesh

FWIW, I paid ~$2.63 from Tesla in Florida this year, and got a few quotes lower than that.

Nice! $2.65/W is definitely way better than $3-5/W !

FWIW, I also used the Energysage website to get several additional quotes, some as low as $2.00/W, but ended up with Tesla.
there was a "HomeShow" in Cape Coral Florida. I chatted with a gentleman there and we basically "namedropped" our knowledge about Solar, PV, VPP's, Puerto Rico, MPPT, angle of incidence, insolation, to see if we each knew what the other was talking about. (he knew waht a VPP was w/out being told, brought up Puerto Rico and extensive PV farms there and reasons for battery shortages for power walls, what PV Watts is, island of Ta'u and it's significance, VPP in Australia, and had decent prices, and explained why I didnt want 12kW or more in Florida due to utilities forcing $1 million homeowners increase in insurance to slow DER's

there was a "HomeShow" in Cape Coral Florida. I chatted with a gentleman there and we basically "namedropped" our knowledge about Solar, PV, VPP's, Puerto Rico, MPPT, angle of incidence, insolation, to see if we each knew what the other was talking about. (he knew waht a VPP was w/out being told, brought up Puerto Rico and extensive PV farms there and reasons for battery shortages for power walls, what PV Watts is, island of Ta'u and it's significance, VPP in Australia, and had decent prices, and explained why I didnt want 12kW or more in Florida due to utilities forcing $1 million homeowners increase in insurance to slow DER's

Sounds good. Nice to have a knowledgeable person to discuss with. I had a door-to-door solar guy stop by a few days ago who knew borderline nothing about solar... asking the most basic questions that would be known by anyone who had done even a couple hours of research.

The SolarCity install I had done a few years ago used SolarEdge inverters and power optimizers. When I looked at the technology I was pretty impressed.

I just had my solar put in 3 months ago and I also got SolarCity.

Two notes: the guy sent out to fix it was surprised because he noted that they usually do not use that brand for normal single family homes as it is too high end.

And... the reason the guy was sent out to fix it was the original install team wired it in wrong. They messed up the lines and blew out the boards... likely because it was a unit they were not used to...
But they then quietly put the cover on, told me it was done, and went home never to return... I only found out a month later when PG&E told me I was cleared to turn it on...
- and then another month later when the repair guy came out, said it was broke, but the inside was like magic and voodoo to him, so he ordered a new one...

...and one more month the next repair guy showed up with the new one, opened the old one up, and said, basically... WTF is this crap? He seemed suspicious of me until he looked at the photos from install day and repeated his WTF comment... (well he was more polite... WTF was the voiceover in my head).

If you get lucky and they bring solaredge... watch them and make them prove they didn’t fry it before they leave...
They are basically sending out Soviet trained Yugo mechanics to build your Lamborghini with stone knives and bear skins...

I'm in NJ where solar is a more expensive. $3.11 per watt on average according to EnergySage.

Tried to get Tesla to price match a system using Trina panels that were priced at $3 per watt but lowest they'd go was $3.27 per watt.

Ended up going with Tesla anyway. Getting 26 325W panels installed. I have zero shade issues but I still insisted they give me SolarEdge inverters which they did. According to their system spec sheet they sent me, it'll be two se7600h-us inverters.

Last edited:
Hey I am in NJ as well and looking to get solar through Tesla. They are currently quoting me much higher $3.99 for 305W panels. Were you given the 325W panels at $3.27?

I just signed with Tesla a few days ago.
I am in Northern California Bay Area and they gave $3.38/watt for 315w black panels all in (includes subpanel, permits, etc)
I reached out to 5 other solar companies in my area and no one else is at this cost.