Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar not compatible with built up roofing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We are in the process of a major remodel, and literally just yesterday had the roof installed.

Its a vwry standard roof for Tucson AZ, built up hot mopped tar, and then a white elastomeric coating will be going on soon.

Tesla Energey called me again today (project has been dragging out way too long, and Tesla won't really engage during construction), and the guy was adamant that they can not work on a built up roof. I explained that a friend has a solar city install on a built up roof, and he said they only work with torch down, foam, tile, or shingle.

This does not make any sense to me, and i refused to continue arguring and hung up on him.

Anyone have more information on this?

I was planning on tesla solar plua powerwalls to go along with our Model X and Model 3....

Harry

Your friend probably had the roof installed before Tesla officially bought Solarcity and/or had their policy changed. It could be due to safety, installation methods, or any other sort of reason. The sales advisors are trying to actively sell these systems and would not lead you astray. It is unfortunate that you received this information too late, but you'll either need a new roof (might be able to get away with doing a portion of it, not sure) or only get the Powerwalls.

Four years ago I tried to get a Solar City quote on a flat gravel roof and they wouldn't touch it. Flat roofs are more challenging from a water proofing standpoint.

For future readers, the most cost effective installation on a flat roof is a coordinated install. What that means is the solar installer places the stanchions (standoffs) on the roof before the roofing. Then the roofing contractor flashes all the stanchions and includes everything in his roof warranty. Installing stanchions during rough construction is a lot faster. In addition the installer will have no responsibility for roof leaks. The installer should reflect both those savings in his price. I don't know the details of the elastomeric coating in the OPs situation but it may be worth the conversation with several installers. Larger companies like solar city are too formulaic in their approach to take this approach. I have developed this philosophy from discussions with several solar installers and roofers over the past several years.

• Informative
Reactions: woodisgood
Back in January of 2017 I had put down a deposit for a PowerWall and also checked the box for wanting solar panels. I finally get a call from them around May 2018. The rep takes a look at my house through the web and asks about my roof type. I told him and he tells me that Tesla does not install panels on clay barrel tile. I thought that was strange because for some reason I thought clay barrel tiles are quite common over there in California. He pointed me to an authorized installer here in Florida to install solar panels. I went that route and had the 2 PowerWalls installed later by the same authorized installer. I then cancelled my reservation on the battery and got my deposit back.