Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar on a "fake roof" + Powerwall Alternatives?

Wahbash

Oct 18, 2018
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hello 2 Questions here,

Wife and I are buying a new house and have money saved up for a solar install. Solar panels won't work on the existing roof, so I am left with only a ground mount solution. I understand that Tesla will only sell you a Powerwall as part of a new Tesla solar panel system on your roof...so my problem is I don't think I can get Tesla solar + Powerwall like we wanted....unless,

Q1. Does anyone know if Tesla will install the panels on some other type of structure...like for example I construct a valid ground mount framework or even a "ground mounted roof" or whatever concoction in my backyard for them to be installed on?

Q2. All of the solar suppliers I have spoken to tell me I don't want/need a Powerwall, as they can provide a different battery solution that does everything a Powerwall does. I wanted a Powerwall because we own a Tesla and assumed the integration would be much better....is this true? Or would we be just fine with a alternative battery?

Asking because if we don't *really* need to have a Powerwall, then we can just have one of the local solar companies do their basic ground mount install, which would be simpler....but I kinda want a Powerwall.

Thanks

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
You can have a third-party Tesla certified installer install non-Tesla solar panels with Powerwalls, which is what I did. No need to deal directly with Tesla. You still get the integration with the Tesla app.

Reactions: Wahbash

Wahbash

Oct 18, 2018
Saratoga Springs, NY
Oh? Wow ok did not know that...when did you have this done?

One of the installers I called is Tesla certified, because I was looking for someone to install our home charger, and they said they did solar too....but mentioned they didn't know if they could get a Powerwall.

driver7

Aug 13, 2020
Falls Church, VA
About 6 months I looked into different battery options (some informative Youtube videos out there). My conclusion was that Tesla’s Powerwalls were way ahead of the curve in terms of safety and app / UI. While I still haven’t pulled the trigger, at this point I am only considering the Powerwalls.

Reactions: 365gtb4 and Wahbash

yblaser

Aug 4, 2018
South Bay Los Angeles

One of the installers I called is Tesla certified, because I was looking for someone to install our home charger, and they said they did solar too....but mentioned they didn't know if they could get a Powerwall.
Based on posts here Powerwalls were in short supply over the last year and many 3rd party installers were not getting any deliveries. As a result they have been pushing people to other battery storage options. It sounds like that is starting to change but I imagine those installers probably have a large backlog at this point.

Tesla only does standard roof mount solar installs. They will not install ground mount solar and won't install solar on anything that isn't a fully enclosed structure.

Wahbash

Oct 18, 2018
Saratoga Springs, NY
Tesla only does standard roof mount solar installs. They will not install ground mount solar and won't install solar on anything that isn't a fully enclosed structure.

Ok that's what I thought...I can't cheat the system...but it sounds like I might not need to. If we can get a third party install and still get Powerwall, then we should be ok.

Though I was secretly looking forward to building my ground mounted roof.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida

I had it done a few months ago. Apparently the installer I used does enough business that they’re able to get Powerwalls. We originally had 2 Powerwalls and added a third later, but didn’t have any problems getting any of them, even though demand was much higher than supply.

Reactions: Wahbash

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC