Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar on a "fake roof" + Powerwall Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello 2 Questions here,

Wife and I are buying a new house and have money saved up for a solar install. Solar panels won't work on the existing roof, so I am left with only a ground mount solution. I understand that Tesla will only sell you a Powerwall as part of a new Tesla solar panel system on your roof...so my problem is I don't think I can get Tesla solar + Powerwall like we wanted....unless,

Q1. Does anyone know if Tesla will install the panels on some other type of structure...like for example I construct a valid ground mount framework or even a "ground mounted roof" or whatever concoction in my backyard for them to be installed on?

Q2. All of the solar suppliers I have spoken to tell me I don't want/need a Powerwall, as they can provide a different battery solution that does everything a Powerwall does. I wanted a Powerwall because we own a Tesla and assumed the integration would be much better....is this true? Or would we be just fine with a alternative battery?

Asking because if we don't *really* need to have a Powerwall, then we can just have one of the local solar companies do their basic ground mount install, which would be simpler....but I kinda want a Powerwall.

Thanks

Oh? Wow ok did not know that...when did you have this done?

One of the installers I called is Tesla certified, because I was looking for someone to install our home charger, and they said they did solar too....but mentioned they didn't know if they could get a Powerwall.

One of the installers I called is Tesla certified, because I was looking for someone to install our home charger, and they said they did solar too....but mentioned they didn't know if they could get a Powerwall.
Based on posts here Powerwalls were in short supply over the last year and many 3rd party installers were not getting any deliveries. As a result they have been pushing people to other battery storage options. It sounds like that is starting to change but I imagine those installers probably have a large backlog at this point.

Tesla only does standard roof mount solar installs. They will not install ground mount solar and won't install solar on anything that isn't a fully enclosed structure.

Tesla only does standard roof mount solar installs. They will not install ground mount solar and won't install solar on anything that isn't a fully enclosed structure.

Ok that's what I thought...I can't cheat the system...but it sounds like I might not need to. If we can get a third party install and still get Powerwall, then we should be ok.

Though I was secretly looking forward to building my ground mounted roof.

I had it done a few months ago. Apparently the installer I used does enough business that they’re able to get Powerwalls. We originally had 2 Powerwalls and added a third later, but didn’t have any problems getting any of them, even though demand was much higher than supply.

Reactions: Wahbash
Based on posts here Powerwalls were in short supply over the last year and many 3rd party installers were not getting any deliveries. As a result they have been pushing people to other battery storage options. It sounds like that is starting to change but I imagine those installers probably have a large backlog at this point.

They also used to only install 3 sizes. I'm sure that made for simpler logistics - go to warehouse grab box 1, 2, or 3 everything you need is in it